Okay, so now what

I will go into details of who did my panel in a separate thread (Daytona Beach Aircraft Service) three thumbs up, in the near future but I really need advice on how to proceed with a new first world problem.

I have always been a Foreflight user. But now that I have a full blown Garmin panel and will be using the flight stream 510 here are my questions,  Well I actually do not know where to begin.

I have the GTN 650 and the GTX 345 and a bunch of other stuff.  

If I continue to pay for and use foreflgiht life is okay but I will not have the ability to update my databases via Garmin pilot and the flightstream is this correct?

Do I need a subscription to Garmin pilot in order to push the data to my GTN or is there another app that I can download the databases to and then push to the GTN etc without Garmin pilot.

I have been playing around with Garmin pilot and I do like foreflight better.

I hear that foreflight will not bluetooth to the GTX345 as well as Garmin pilot will. It can be lagging in data etc.

If I just stick with foreflight how can I get my nav data bases off of the internet and push them via bluetooth from iPad....

Sorry if questions are somehow redundant.......first flight is tomorrow and I am doing a crash course on the JPI tonight....

breath Jim ,,,,breath....

And yes the clock is old,,just waiting on davtron to get approval for a new one they make.

IMG_8381-3.jpeg

• Sad 1

I’ll address what I know about. I don’t think you’ll have any problem streaming Bluetooth from the 345 to ForeFlight there on your iPad, since they are only inches apart.  I stream from my 345 which is remote mounted in the empennage and it works just fine.  I’ve never had any problems with data lag.

As for the other stuff, my system doesn’t support FlightStream so I can’t help you there. I’ll look forward to what others have to say on that!

I'm not a FF user either, but it definitely sounds like the database update feature is not supported. 

https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006594827-Will-I-be-able-to-use-ForeFlight-Mobile-to-wirelessly-update-the-Jeppesen-database-for-my-Garmin-avionics-using-Garmin-Concierge-Flight-Stream-510-?mobile_site=true

(This question is about Jepp data but the answer clearly says that the database concierge whatever isn't available to FF users.)

Great looking panel Jim!

FF will work great with the two way communication but not the updates. For just one item to update I’d suggest just using the SD cards. Without flight charts the updates take less than a min to download and program the cards, much faster than my 430w cards. 

I will go into details of who did my panel in a separate thread (Daytona Beach Aircraft Service) three thumbs up, in the near future but I really need advice on how to proceed with a new first world problem.
I have always been a Foreflight user. But now that I have a full blown Garmin panel and will be using the flight stream 510 here are my questions,  Well I actually do not know where to begin.
I have the GTN 650 and the GTX 345 and a bunch of other stuff.  
If I continue to pay for and use foreflgiht life is okay but I will not have the ability to update my databases via Garmin pilot and the flightstream is this correct?
Do I need a subscription to Garmin pilot in order to push the data to my GTN or is there another app that I can download the databases to and then push to the GTN etc without Garmin pilot.
I have been playing around with Garmin pilot and I do like foreflight better.
I hear that foreflight will not bluetooth to the GTX345 as well as Garmin pilot will. It can be lagging in data etc.
If I just stick with foreflight how can I get my nav data bases off of the internet and push them via bluetooth from iPad....
Sorry if questions are somehow redundant.......first flight is tomorrow and I am doing a crash course on the JPI tonight....
breath Jim ,,,,breath....
And yes the clock is old,,just waiting on davtron to get approval for a new one they make.

IMG_8381-3.thumb.jpeg.8fb4fd925c8542ed81528689f15471a7.jpeg

Jim - nice panel upgrade!

The 510 only supports the database concierge feature on Garmin Pilot. The database update is done through WiFi and the rest of the functions (weather, traffic and flight plan uploads) are done through Bluetooth. Garmin Pilot also has the ability to display TargetTrend while FF doesn’t support it.

If you go with Garmin Pilot, I would recommend buying the Pilot Pak for the GTN. You will also need to buy the GP subscription. If you stay with ForeFlight you will need to remove the 510 and use an SD to upload the databases after you pull them from your laptop using flygarmin.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

42 minutes ago, Marauder said:

If you go with Garmin Pilot, I would recommend buying the Pilot Pak for the GTN. You will also need to buy the GP subscription. If you stay with ForeFlight you will need to remove the 510 and use an SD to upload the databases after you pull them from your laptop using flygarmin.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So let me get this straight.  I can skip the flightstream 510 and use the SD card for my database updates and FF will be able to work just fine with the 345 and it will also send my flight plan changes back and forth to the GTN.

And will a Mac be compatible to get my SD card updated from flygarmin.com?

In this case the only thing I am missing will be my ability to update my database via bluetooth by not having the FS510.

Jim:

I found myself in the same situation as you a year ago,when we finished my Garmin panel.  I was a ForeFlight user for years before the Garmin panel, so Garmin Pilot was new to me.

I purposely decided to give Garmin Pilot a shot.  After using both apps for about a year, I find things that I like about both.  I would say both ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot generally do the same things.  You can plan and build a flight plan, graphically edit, or type in, etc.  Some of the things that I like about Garmin Pilot is that it is the same user interface as the GTN navigators, and the new TXi flight decks.  I like how Garmin Pilot integrates weight and balance and fuel loads with your flight plan.  I also like how Garmin Pilot has quick fuel loads in the Weight and Balance section.  If you load up your plane with people, you can quickly select max fuel and it will give you the maximum amount of fuel without going over max weight.  ForeFlight makes you figure it out yourself and manually put your fuel loads in.

Garmin Pilot has a dedicated traffic page with the black background and concentric range rings, ForeFlight does not.

I like how ForeFlight has audible call outs for ATIS or AWOS etc as you approach your destination airport.  The runway incursion call outs, etc.  I like how you can put N numbers into ForeFlight and get aircraft info.  I like ForeFlight’s METAR and TAF layout better than Garmin Pilot.  I also like that ForeFlight provides MOS weather forecasts, Garmin Pilot does not.

ForeFlight lets you use its vector based aeronautical maps over top of a VFR sectional.  Garmin Pilot does not, it’s either or.

These are just a couple quick examples of a few things that one does better than the other, certainly not an exhaustive review.

For me, I find myself going back to ForeFlight I think in part because of my years of working with it, I am still more comfortable with it.  I still give an edge to ForeFlight personally.

That being said, if I was forced to give up ForeFlight and only use Garmin Pilot, I could get along fine with that.

Both programs will receive traffic and weather, and flight plan transfer, but ONLY Garmin Pilot will do the the WIFI database transfer, so you will at least need to have Garmin Pilot for that.

One thing to be aware of:  You get a free year subscription for Garmin Pilot when you buy a Flightstream 510.  So you have a year to use it and decide for yourself what you think of it.

On the other end of the spectrum:  My Dad exclusively uses ForeFlight for planning and in cockpit use.  He has zero interest to learn another flight app.  So he has Garmin Pilot solely for database concierge.  He does not even update the Garmin Pilot app data other than to download databases to transfer to the GTN 750.

So for him it is just a $75 yearly fee in order to use database concierge.  View it as a yearly fee for the convenience of WIFI database transfer.  It is much more convenient than pulling SD cards and updating on a PC.  Once you use it, going back to pulling cards is just clunky.

Dan

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

So let me get this straight.  I can skip the flightstream 510 and use the SD card for my database updates and FF will be able to work just fine with the 345 and it will also send my flight plan changes back and forth to the GTN.

And will a Mac be compatible to get my SD card updated from flygarmin.com?

In this case the only thing I am missing will be my ability to update my database via bluetooth by not having the FS510.

The 345 does not do flight plan transfer.  You need a 510 for that.  You can use the 510 like a standard SD card, plugging it into the computer instead of using Datbase Concierge.

Not sure about the Mac question...  I have read some issues about using a Mac on forums for some things, but I did not pay close enough attention as I am a PC user.  Someone else will have to chime in on that.

Without the 510 you cannot do database transfer or flight plan transfer.

So let me get this straight.  I can skip the flightstream 510 and use the SD card for my database updates and FF will be able to work just fine with the 345 and it will also send my flight plan changes back and forth to the GTN. And will a Mac be compatible to get my SD card updated from flygarmin.com? In this case the only thing I am missing will be my ability to update my database via bluetooth by not having the FS510.

Pretty close. You will need the 510 to do flight plan transfers. Garmin Pilot uses WiFi only for database transfer. You can use the actual 510 as an SD, but I don’t like carrying around a $1500 SD chip. Too easy to lose. You can load up the databases using an SD chip using flygarmin.com using either a Mac or PC (I have used Macs and PCs without issue). It just requires you to do the upload every 28 days.

I had GP and FF both loaded up on my iPad for a couple of years. For me FF never stuck. I really tried to get comfortable with it. Like Dan says, once you start playing around with the Garmin Pilot interface, it will look a lot like your GTN.

All the other GP features will be available on FF including weather, traffic and flight plan transfers. The only thing it won’t do is the TargetTrend stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

13 minutes ago, Rmag said:

Without the 510 you cannot do database transfer or flight plan transfer.

Well that settles it then I should be getting the FS510.  I want to be able to build and or transfer my flight plan on my iPad an sent it to the GTN.  

the FS510 I understand comes with a year free subscription so I will still pay for foreflight as to not change things up too much.  hopefully Garmin pilot will have audio callouts for runways etc.  I really like that feature in FF.  

Can you display traffic on the sectional on Garmin pilot instead of using their dedicated traffic page?

Can you display traffic on the sectional on Garmin pilot instead of using their dedicated traffic page?

You can do both at the same time as well. You however won’t get runway call outs and a bunch of other FF features.

16 hours ago, Seth said:

I’m thinking I should give Garmin Pilot a chance. But historically I have been used to, more familiar with, and liked foreflight more.

-Seth

I gave Garmin Pilot a 1 yr subscription chance after the install of my GTN 750 and GTX 345R plus a few other gadgets. At the end of that year, I let it lapse.  I much prefer my other EFB and am willing to use the SD card reader for the 750 updates.   

• Like 1

23 hours ago, carusoam said:

Jim’s plane looks like it is on its way towards Mooney perfection!  :)

-a-

Thank you...first flight went Okay today. Some software glitches that were to be expected but all can be dealt with.

IMG_8398.PNG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, helitim said:

I gave Garmin Pilot a 1 yr subscription chance after the install of my GTN 750 and GTX 345R plus a few other gadgets. At the end of that year, I let it lapse.  I much prefer my other EFB and am willing to use the SD card reader for the 750 updates.   

and to clarify and beat a dead horse to death a 100 times over...being that you use an SD card and not the FS510 you cannot transfer your flight plan from EFB to the GTN. but you can do everything else.

I can see myself letting the Garmin pilot year lapse being that the software seems a bit clumsy......

today was my first flight an dI wanted to concentrate on other things and not change too much...so I still used my stratus and FF.....

tomorrow I will have paired my GTX to my iPad and try the FF and the GP apps.......

and to clarify and beat a dead horse to death a 100 times over...being that you use an SD card and not the FS510 you cannot transfer your flight plan from EFB to the GTN. but you can do everything else.
I can see myself letting the Garmin pilot year lapse being that the software seems a bit clumsy......
today was my first flight an dI wanted to concentrate on other things and not change too much...so I still used my stratus and FF.....
tomorrow I will have paired my GTX to my iPad and try the FF and the GP apps.......

LOL! Horse still alive. What he is doing is taking an SD to the airport, loading the database from it to the Navigator and then popping the 510 SD back in for using it for flightplan transfers.

Why don’t you activate the free 1 year Garmin Pilot, keep your 510 in the plane, load the database every 28 days using Garmin Pilot and then switch over to ForeFlight? At least for the year you can use the database concierge service even if you don’t use the app.

10 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

I have FS 210. It allows transfer of flight plans from ForeFlight to GTN. Updates to database require SD card