Tru Trak with Aspen integration coming soon

kevinw

I stumbled across this youtube video today. Looks like Tru Trak is currently working on adding Mooney to the approved STC list and for those of us with Aspens this AP will interface with it at no charge. Here's a link to the video. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a recent Aspen convert and someone in desperate need of a real autopilot, this is great news! Really looking forward to the Tru-Trak system; they are the only company who has so far delivered on time and on budget for a new autopilot. 

• Like 4

As a recent Aspen convert and someone in desperate need of a real autopilot, this is great news! Really looking forward to the Tru-Trak system; they are the only company who has so far delivered on time and on budget for a new autopilot. 

Great news is right. For $5K this comes with a “straight and level” button, gpss and more importantly altitude preselect. Sounds like the Mooney STC is right around the corner and I am very interested in it for my J; especially because I have an Aspen. Curious what the labor to install will be. Hoping the all in cost is less than $10K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Great news is right. For $5K this comes with a “straight and level” button, gpss and more importantly altitude preselect. Sounds like the Mooney STC is right around the corner and I am very interested in it for my J; especially because I have an Aspen. Curious what the labor to install will be. Hoping the all in cost is less than $10K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My avionics guy is a dealer for TT and has one in his 172. I want to say he mentioned 40 hr install time? He has a standing order to get me one as soon as they get the stc

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, N6758N said:

I also need a new autopilot (Century 31 is unrepairable) and the combination of the Aspen E5 and TruTrak Vizion brings the panel into the digital age at about 10 AMU less than I was expecting to pay for older, less capable autopilot technology.  The only potential fly in the ointment is whether my CNX80 GPS navigator (which is a WAAS GPS) will play well with the new boxes.  

2 hours ago, whiskytango said:

I also need a new autopilot (Century 31 is unrepairable) and the combination of the Aspen E5 and TruTrak Vizion brings the panel into the digital age at about 10 AMU less than I was expecting to pay for older, less capable autopilot technology.  The only potential fly in the ointment is whether my CNX80 GPS navigator (which is a WAAS GPS) will play well with the new boxes.  

The aspen plays well with all the old stuff. BK 89, 90, gx55, etc. The 80 is light years ahead of those boxes. However, I think it will also work with the G5. 

• Like 1

It does have limitations, like not certified below 700’ AGL, so you won’t be able to couple it for a complete approach, no ILS,VOR of course.

4 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

It does have limitations, like not certified below 700’ AGL, so you won’t be able to couple it for a complete approach, no ILS,VOR of course.

I did not know this and it will be a problem for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Because I saw this thread, and because we sent in our KFC200 pitch servo for evaluation/repair, I called and talked to TruTrak today.

1.  They are currently working on Mooney and hope to have the STC by Oshkosh.  So we are hopefully only months away.

2.  I asked about the price, and yes, it will be $5000 including the control box, 2 servos, and the wiring harness.  Everything you need except labor.

3.  I asked if they plan to get the STC amended in the future to remove the restriction that prevents coupled approaches.  Probably in the future but not sure how soon.  I think they are concentrating on getting as many planes on the STC as possible first so they can sell a ton of them and then they will work on modifying the STC.

4.  I also asked about auto-trim.  The box is capable, but not for certified planes.  That's sort of like above, they may try to add that capability to the STC in the future.  Again no indication when.  Kind of odd though, he told me their auto-trim does not require a third servo.  It just installs a box in line between the controller and the servo.  I have no idea how that would physically move the trim on our Mooneys though so we'll have to wait and see.

5.  And asked about a yaw dampener.  Same as above.

Bob

• Like 1

6 hours ago, teejayevans said:

My trim is the old analog servo with amplifier, relay, and lots of wires. Must have for me is to replace all that junk, including the very expensive trim switch. Also the TT requires rs232 connection to a gps which I don’t have.

You can use most Garmin portable GPSs for the TT GPS input.

great new product and a welcome addition but for right now with some limitations.

Only pointing these out for those that may not be familiar......

1. Works with GPS ONLY, no NAV connection. Only certain GPS models are approved for input.

2. Coupled IFR approaches are NOT approved.

3. Contains an internal baro altimeter that must be synced with the OEM altimeter each flight.

• Like 1

great new product and a welcome addition but for right now with some limitations.
Only pointing these out for those that may not be familiar......
1. Works with GPS ONLY, no NAV connection. Only certain GPS models are approved for input.
2. Coupled IFR approaches are NOT approved.
3. Contains an internal baro altimeter that must be synced with the OEM altimeter each flight.

My big want is IAS climbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

On 3/28/2018 at 11:25 AM, teejayevans said:

I emailed TruTrak about this 700’ claim and they said it is not true.  Also they advised to look for an announcement at snf 

I emailed TruTrak about this 700’ claim and they said it is not true.  Also they advised to look for an announcement at snf   

It’s not a “claim”, it’s in their bloody documentation!?!

I would email them back with the below screen capture.

This is from the flight manual supplement that’s on their web site , note the altitude restriction:

9249f55087d51a21a530f2be3318467f.jpg

9 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Thats a huge killer in terms of functionality. Everyone talks of these APs but to learn they wont fly below 700 agl is a huge limit of part 23 functionality. 

+1 and this: 

3.8. Other Limitations

This autopilot has not been evaluated to meet certification requirements for coupled instrument procedures, including coupled approaches. Therefore coupled instrument approaches and procedures are not authorized without further approval.

• Like 1

+1 and this: 
3.8. Other Limitations
This autopilot has not been evaluated to meet certification requirements for coupled instrument procedures, including coupled approaches. Therefore coupled instrument approaches and procedures are not authorized without further approval.
Is this further approval what they are hinting at with their SNF announcement?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Don't let good enough be the enemy of perfect. For those of us who don't have an autopilot this product offers some very attractive features at a good price point. I'm more than willing to hand fly approaches if I can get a $10K autopilot that gives me altitude pre-select, bank angle protection, emergency level, etc.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Just make sure you dont lock yourself into an ap that wont allow you to get coupled approaches longer term though.  I bet your bottom dollar that once you have altitude hold and heading hold, you will scream for vor tracking, and ILS coupled approaches as well as rnav approaches.  Otherwise all you have is a semi intelligent co pilot.  Bank angle protection, emergency level im not convinced are must haves.  Nice to have yes, but not critical.   Altitude pre select the same.  

An autopilot is always a copilot - named George.

6 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Just make sure you dont lock yourself into an ap that wont allow you to get coupled approaches longer term though.  I bet your bottom dollar that once you have altitude hold and heading hold, you will scream for vor tracking, and ILS coupled approaches as well as rnav approaches.  Otherwise all you have is a semi intelligent co pilot.  Bank angle protection, emergency level im not convinced are must haves.  Nice to have yes, but not critical.   Altitude pre select the same.  

Just my opinion, but...

The TruTrak will fly an LPV approach, you just can't do it legally right now.  It ...may... have that capability in the future.

I never use VOR tracking, only GPS tracking and the TruTrak will do that with GPSS which is more than I can say for my KFC200.

True, it will not fly an ILS approach, but ...most... runways that have an ILS also have an LPV which it can fly.

And it has altitude capture during climb or descent.  While I agree with you that the emergency modes don't mean much for me, the altitude capture would be very handy.

And, if my attitude indicator quits, the TruTrak doesn't care.  In an emergency I'd be happy to let it fly an LNAV or LPV approach to get me safely on the ground.

• Like 2