iPhone and Garmin GTX 345 -AHRS

Seth

On 3/28/2018 at 7:20 PM, PTK said:

The aera 660 hard wired to the GTX345 is a great AI backup. And when not used for attitude it can be used for other things like a dedicated traffic display with targettrend.

I have a Aera 560 hardwired to my 430W.  The 660 panel mount is the same footprint.  

However, I do like WX weather better than ADSB weather.  Maybe I let that go and simply put in the Aera 660.  I could also put in a Aera 796 and have WX weather but the footprint is bigger and I would need to rearrange the panel a bit.

I’m leaning toward an Aera 660.  Anyone hate giving up their satalite weather feed vs ADSB?  I have both now.

-Seth

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So is there any stand alone app that takes the Bluetooth AHRS signal from the GTX345 for an iPhone to display just AHRS.  I saw traffic, weather, and more in the Garmin app, but what about AHRS on the iPhone?

I still have stratus Horizon and a Stratus 2, but the point is not to have to hook it up (though that is a backup solution).

-Seth

I have a 660 wired to gtn and gdl39 3D with DME antenna.  I am very happy with it and just regret not mounting vertically on my left panel rather than at top of the center stack.   

The DME antenna connection allows fantastic adsb reception and refresh rate.  There is much less lag in traffic and precipitation location.  

The connection to the gtn allows seamless flight plan changes.  I wish I could use 660 to push to the gtn though, but that is not available. 

• 3 months later...

I purchased the Aera 660 at Oshkosh for a trade in on my Aera 560.  Plus there was a small Garmin rebate on top of that.

That will give me AHRS backup for now plus if all electrics go out. A backup in panel GPS and a backup Artificial horizon if needed with the synthetic 3D stand alone feature.

Will report back once it’s setup and all bugs are works out.

-Seth

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

The Garmin rebate is in and being processed. $50

The trade in Aera 560 is on it's way (along with all required accessories for max value). $450

The XM antenna will be sent soon for additional trade in value. $100

I'll have the 660 in very soon and as noted earlier, will report back.  

This seems to have worked out well.

-Seth

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I received the $50 rebate from Garmin

I received $450 for the AERA 560 trade in from Aircraft spruce.

The remaining $100 will come when I send in the XM antenna which I'll detangle during the install of the 660 in early September.

Will update more soon.  Happy to show anyone the setup at Mooney Summit at the end of September.

-Seth

On 8/10/2018 at 9:44 PM, Seth said:

Update:

The Garmin rebate is in and being processed. $50

The trade in Aera 560 is on it's way (along with all required accessories for max value). $450

The XM antenna will be sent soon for additional trade in value. $100

I'll have the 660 in very soon and as noted earlier, will report back.  

This seems to have worked out well.

-Seth

Update:
I received the $50 rebate from Garmin
I received $450 for the AERA 560 trade in from Aircraft spruce.
The remaining $100 will come when I send in the XM antenna which I'll detangle during the install of the 660 in early September.
Will update more soon.  Happy to show anyone the setup at Mooney Summit at the end of September.

-Seth

How about showing your local friends too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

You can’t get a Dynon d2, because they released the very nice D3 at Oshkosh. I have a panel docked D1. Backup AI display on an iPad or iPhone is a non starter for me.

https://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/products/4367-d3-pocket-panel-portable-efis.aspx

Lynx 9000+ and D1....

7b31b8f92b47ce0afa4edf64a00001ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For the cost it was

7 hours ago, gsengle said:

You can’t get a Dynon d2, because they released the very nice D3 at Oshkosh. I have a panel docked D1. Backup AI display on an iPad or iPhone is a non starter for me.

https://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/products/4367-d3-pocket-panel-portable-efis.aspx

Lynx 9000+ and D1....

7b31b8f92b47ce0afa4edf64a00001ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice!  With the trade in value on my 560 it was less expensive to go 660 vs D3 - I was impressed by it.

The 660 will also show traffic and weather in addition to the synthetic vision and AHRS page.

-Seth

On 3/29/2018 at 11:20 AM, LANCECASPER said:

True, what would Trek Lawler from Garmin know about the GTX345*?

I did an upgrade before the the GTX345 or Lynx came out. If I knew then what I know now, my first choice would be the Lynx, 2nd choice the GTX345.

*which by the way is a great ADS-B in/out transponder. The AHRS is just not meant to be a true backup, otherwise it would be certified as a backup.

Update on this post . . . . during a recent panel upgrade I did put in a GTX345. I still haven't tried the AHRS function, but the way that the GTX345, the Avidyne 550 and the Aspens all talk is very impressive. Previously I had an Avidyne AXP340 transponder and a Skytrax 100 which worked together but were not going to communicate with the Aspens.

• Like 1