Mooney stuck in Carlisle PA

John Mininger

4 minutes ago, Cris said:

Well if you have already decided on a new engine why spend money and possiblea risky ferry flight. Find a shop locally and have them install the new engine at the current site. Lots of shops will do that and you avoid additional downtime as well as expense. Just a thought.

I don’t think the flight home will be all that risky, it’s about 85 miles. The way I look at it, I will have a #3 cylinder that’s in better shape than the other 3. And in my experience, an engine change always takes longer than everyone expects. 

1 hour ago, John Mininger said:

I don’t think the flight home will be all that risky, it’s about 85 miles. The way I look at it, I will have a #3 cylinder that’s in better shape than the other 3. And in my experience, an engine change always takes longer than everyone expects. 

It seems so simple when you look at it but it does take more time than you'd think. If someone just did engine swaps everyday they could do it in a day's work; but anyone else takes much longer. I think I timed and pulled off my mags 4 times, not realizing I still needed the access.

-Robert

1 hour ago, John Mininger said:

And in my experience, an engine change always takes longer than everyone expects. 

I can attest to that. Good luck with the project, these things have a way of working themselves out.

5 hours ago, John Mininger said:

No, there really isn’t any reason not to just keep flying it. The last oil change I did, didn’t show any abnormal amounts of medal in the filter. The oil analysis from Blackstone did show elevated levels of copper. Valve guide? I am anxious to take a good look at the failed valve. The cylinders were borescoped about 100 hours ago and no green areas on the faces.

Copper would be worrisome to me, it usually comes from bearings.  Lead, copper and a steel back shell, copper means no lead left on the bearings.

Clarence

59 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Copper would be worrisome to me, it usually comes from bearings.  Lead, copper and a steel back shell, copper means no lead left on the bearings.

Clarence

Hmm. Thanks Clarence. I attached the most recent Blackstone report:Blackstone report.pdf