1962 M20C For Sale - Out of Annual

Jeffington

The problem with an airplane like this is there are truly no good solutions.  A member here resurrected one, but it took over a year and a majority of his spare time.  It could easily have taken longer.  A lot of  us just don't have that kind of time to burn.  But if you hire it out it can cost big money.

Says me either get it to a mechanic who can restore it to airworthy condition or scrap it.  I suspect the OP will be out roughly the same amount of cash either way.

Yeah, I agree that I'll be out either way. I personally think it would be a fun and informative project to perform work on this airplane, even if for nothing more than a deeper education on how these airplanes work so that I can apply that knowledge to my beloved J model. But, like you said, who has that kind of time to burn?

As for quotes, I've had the mechanic that's worked on it while it was flying give me an estimate of barely $1k to get it in annual the way it always has been. I've had another mechanic give me a "from afar" estimate of complying with ADs and all that to get it in annual to be more like $10k. For the non-AD annual, I wouldn't feel good about that, although that should at least make it ferry-able. For the full monty, that would take time and money and hangar space that I don't have, plus we all know that estimates on airplane work never come in under budget. So at that point, I feel like my loss is even greater.

Which is why things like donating, scrapping, recycling, and/or parting out are on the list. To my knowledge, parting out would end up like:

• $big money for motor
  • $medium money for prop
  • $500/ea control surfaces
  • $100/ea avionics
  • $500 for the Powerflow Exhaust
  • A year later I have a wing and fuselage that I can't get rid of

But at least I would feel like I've helped the community a bit.

19 hours ago, Jeffington said:

I've had the mechanic that's worked on it while it was flying give me an estimate of barely $1k to get it in annual the way it always has been.

Well: That would mean he would put it together, run the engine, basically do the annual his way and you'd have a ferryable airplane. What I would do is be there when it's done and look at what he does, so you know.

The 2nd offer "from afar" looks to me as a CYA offer, so you can't later on come and say he did not tell you.

Get it in annual and announce it for sale with upfront and honest information. That is by far the easiest way to solve the problem.

From the pics you posted I think this plane can be a great first Mooney for someone who does not have too much money to spend and who can gradually upgrade it.

Parting it out would not only loose you money but as you say it would mean you end up with remnants that you can't sell.

Yeah, I agree with all of the above. That's what I would like to do, in the perfect world where I had time and a place to put the airplane. The mechanic is an on-airport guy that does all the work in peoples' hangars, so I can just tow it to his place.

Last night I may have worked out some options for short-term storage. That will greatly open up my options for getting some work done on it and getting it ferryable. 

Hopefully, anyway!

• Like 2

On 3/26/2018 at 12:31 PM, Alan Fox said:

No , I would have bought yours , if it wasn't a thousand miles away , In fact , I turned it down , before you took it..... I also talked the guy you bought it from , into taking your offer , (which was about 1800 less than than he wanted to sell for ) for the reasoning , that it wasn't worth a few thousand dollars , to possibly sit on the plane for a few more years.....  I think he was an EAA guy or something .....   Been a while , but for some reason I remember EAA or Young eagles associated with that plane......     Also the BIG ONE your plane was totally together and in tact....

Yup I remember you telling me this at the Summit. He really busted my balls over that number. I've never played phone tag more in my life than that. He did like 900 Young Eagles in it, and I've done about 120 since then as well.

I'd really love to see OP's bird flying again. I'll post around and see if anyone wants to take it.

• 1 month later...