Pathfinder P3B Autopilot

Fookz92

I have a Pathfinder P3B Autopilot in the J I purchased recently. Haven't been able to fly it yet due to mx. I am aware this is old school autopilot but it seems that it will work. Is anyone else running such an autopilot still? is there any support for it? 

Yes I am looking at options to upgrade it to something else. And yes I have been on google with not much help. 

9 hours ago, Fookz92 said:

I have a Pathfinder P3B Autopilot in the J I purchased recently. Haven't been able to fly it yet due to mx. I am aware this is old school autopilot but it seems that it will work. Is anyone else running such an autopilot still? is there any support for it? 

Yes I am looking at options to upgrade it to something else. And yes I have been on google with not much help. 

If you ever get rid of your P3B let me know.  I would like to have it.

On 3/24/2018 at 8:40 PM, kerry said:

If you ever get rid of your P3B let me know.  I would like to have it.

On 3/24/2018 at 8:36 PM, kerry said:

I have the P2A.  The P3B has the altitude hold.  Michael Ritterbush  can service and repair them.  His email is Michael@ritterbush.us

I see the altitude hold switch. But I don't have electric trim in my airplane.

Would it have its own servo that allows it to  maintain the altitude?  

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I realize this is my old thread and I got the supplement data needed at this time.  

However, I was mistaken and stated I have the P3B. I actually have the P3A system installed in my aircraft and have never seen the altitude hold work yet! 

When I turn on the "Master" switch, The trim window points "trim down" immediately. No sound coming from the aft compartment either of any motor running. 

After getting the airplane into the air, in straight and level trimmed flight, I turn the  "Altitude hold" switch on. I get the steady green light. (I read the flashing green light meant it would need trimming)  But there is no action and the aircraft will deviate from its altitude.  Any clues to what is going on? Id like to salvage this system if I can. 

Edited by Fookz92

I recently had my turn coordinator for the P2A overhauled by Pacific Southwest Instruments (it was too bouncy causing erratic A/P inputs in climb, slight turbulence, etc). My problem now is that the A/P seems to want to overbank, the turn knobs on the turn coordinator just keep turning it instead of stopping at a 10degree bank like it used to.

I reached out to my local avionics guy with the manual (that I found on Mooneyspace) and pleading for him to take a look at it. He said he'll get back to me next week after looking through the manual. I hope he can help me adjust the A/P a bit.

On 12/28/2018 at 12:00 PM, AlexLev said:

I recently had my turn coordinator for the P2A overhauled by Pacific Southwest Instruments (it was too bouncy causing erratic A/P inputs in climb, slight turbulence, etc). My problem now is that the A/P seems to want to overbank, the turn knobs on the turn coordinator just keep turning it instead of stopping at a 10degree bank like it used to.

I reached out to my local avionics guy with the manual (that I found on Mooneyspace) and pleading for him to take a look at it. He said he'll get back to me next week after looking through the manual. I hope he can help me adjust the A/P a bit.

I have flown my mooney to an avionics shop and a maintenance shop with requests to look into my autopilot. Neither place would touch it or  attempt to troubleshoot it 

On 1/3/2019 at 10:00 PM, Fookz92 said:

I have flown my mooney to an avionics shop and a maintenance shop with requests to look into my autopilot. Neither place would touch it or  attempt to troubleshoot it 

Which is a good thing. Unless they specialize on the type of autopilot you have, you don't want them going near it.  Most of the time someone who adjusts an autopilot that doesn't know that autopilot very well makes it worse. Don't assume that even big name shops know what they are doing. It all comes down  to that one person - the autopilot whisperer.

Post on Beechtalk and other aviation sites and ask if they know someone who specializes in the Pathfinder autopilot. There must be one or more people who worked on these back in the 70's and 80's that understands them intimately.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/3/2019 at 10:00 PM, Fookz92 said:

This thread has some Beech owners that seem to know this autopilot well:

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=174815

• 9 months later...