The J roll

Fookz92

Getting ever so close now. Prop is at East Coast Propellers getting a overhaul. Once returned and reinstalled, all thats left is the annual. 
I Ran it up and down the runway last week a bunch of times to get the new brakes broke in. It ran smooth.
Should be complete and airworthy by the time I get back from Sun n Fun.  Looking forward to meeting some of ya here around Delaware. 

Nice! I’m sure with every passing day you are getting more and more excited:) Wish I was on the east side to see it. But maybe someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Fookz92 said:

Should be complete and airworthy by the time I get back from Sun n Fun.  Looking forward to meeting some of ya here around Delaware. 

You probably said this previously, but I'm new around here- where in Delaware? I live in Newark  (currently fly a club Cessna out of ILG but I'm hoping to buy a plane in the next year or so, which I'd likely base at N57.)

• Like 1

You probably said this previously, but I'm new around here- where in Delaware? I live in Newark  (currently fly a club Cessna out of ILG but I'm hoping to buy a plane in the next year or so, which I'd likely base at N57.)

That you Josh?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

Nope, missed it. Buy that Mooney yet?

Like I said- bathroom first, then fund recovery, then Mooney (hopefully). It's very unlikely I'll buy something without first asking you lots of questions (and possibly irritating you/trying your patience.) 

On 3/24/2018 at 7:38 AM, Fookz92 said:

Gentleman,

This was a mere attempt to see who has attempted or accomplished such a task. I have near 100 hours worth of aerobatics logged in Pitts and Cristian Eagles. NO WAY would I do even the simplest 1G roll in a Mooney.  

The advice and inspirational quotes are very welcomed nonetheless. 

Sorry Fook...I also have considerable S1S time (Pitts drivers log their landings not their hours)if you truely do have 100 hours in Acro capeble aircraft as you claim...I find your initial post about rolling a Mooney inexplicable.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, jmoz said:

Like I said- bathroom first, then fund recovery, then Mooney (hopefully). It's very unlikely I'll buy something without first asking you lots of questions (and possibly irritating you/trying your patience.) 

Speaking of- still hoping for an opportunity to fly with you and/or Jack..... Cessna's in an annual which is at 1 month and counting.... Argh.

Speaking of- still hoping for an opportunity to fly with you and/or Jack..... Cessna's in an annual which is at 1 month and counting.... Argh.

You missed your last opportunity. You need to hang out at the airport more often. Owners tend to just show up and fly.

Took another perspective Mooney buyer up. We were dealing with a 45 knot headwind. He said that if he was in his plane, he would be watching cars pass him on the highway below.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Marauder said:

You missed your last opportunity. You need to hang out at the airport more often. Owners tend to just show up and fly.

Took another perspective Mooney buyer up. We were dealing with a 45 knot headwind. He said that if he was in his plane, he would be watching cars pass him on the highway below. emoji57.png

My club Cessna tops out at 105 KTAS on a good day (You've seen the paint; I'm guessing that's losing me a few.). I don't need too much of a headwind before I'm being passed by cars.... I get excited when GS is triple digits, as I seem to have a knack for finding headwinds.

When I go to N57, I keep ending up in the right seat of an RV-7A.... Andre and I are flying it down to SnF if the weather cooperates. That said, I fear that flying his RV is bad preparation for a Mooney; it slows down VERY easily when you pull power because it has all the aerodynamics of a brick.

6 hours ago, thinwing said:

Sorry Fook...I also have considerable S1S time (Pitts drivers log their landings not their hours)if you truely do have 100 hours in Acro capeble aircraft as you claim...I find your initial post about rolling a Mooney inexplicable.

Well then after reading my post, you can see that I was only seeing who's skin I was getting under. And who has admitted to actually attempting such a maneuver. I easily knew everyone would have their own opinion on this matter and ready to chime in.

Thought: If someone else was reading this and thinking of doing such a maneuver in a Mooney, they should know not to by now. 

12 hours ago, jmoz said:

I live in southern DE. I am based in CGE (Cambridge, MD). I fly a Lear out of ILG on a regular basis, so I know the area up there well. I just purchased my J in December and is still in mx from being stationary 10 years. I have another thread started "resurrecting a J" on here if you want to check it out. Haven't updated it in a while tho. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jmoz said:

Fun read, thanks! Sometime you're up this way (or I can come down to CGE; Kay's is good), I'd love to see the progress on your bird!

Kay's is great! I'll even treat ya! PM me next time you are thinking about heading down and I will send ya my #. 

Its not there in CGE yet. Still stuck at another small airport close by, out of annual. I give it another month before it's totally done. 

• Like 1

I can't believe I am reading some of the comments in this thread!  I hope they are pure sarcasm!!!

As an aerobatic pilot and Mooney owner, my sincerest advice is to buy a Decathlon, get some good instruction, and enjoy getting upside down!  Keep the Mooney shiny-side up unless you are Bob Hoover....

• Like 1