The J roll

Fookz92

No, I am not talking about sushi here.

My instructor tells me the J can do a barrel roll effortlessly. What is the best way to accomplish this?

My instructor says it will be started with nose high attitude. Who can attest to this?

• Haha 1

Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

There would be very few accidents if the elementary rules of flying were rigidly observed and stupid risks avoided. The road hog, with whom we are all so familiar nowadays, has his counterpart in the air, so cultivate the sane mind in the sound and healthy body.

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 3

IF you're asking how to do this on mooneyspace... trust me, you should not be doing so.

Agree with 201 turbo above - go get some real aerobatics instruction in an appropriate airplane and experienced aerobatics instructor (i.e. not a CFI who figured out how to survive an aileron roll on his own and challenges you to roll your J). It is very worthwhile training!!! Being comfortable with the nose pointed where ever, and seeing that the wing flies based on angle of attack and airspeed (and not attitude) is very empowering. Getting a sense for that could save your bacon some day by - get this - unloading the wing and reducing AoA, when your instinct today might say otherwise. This is very empowering and my save your butt some day if you're turned upside down in a mountain wave rotor, wake turbulence, etc.

BTW, my favorite of all the basic positive G stuff I learned many years was the Immelman, hence my board nickname. No, I do not do them in the Mooney!

Edited by Immelman

I would reconsider the local talent and then take an aerobatic course. 

It’s not about justifying things, any airplane will roll. We don’t need to prove it. Grab Soucy and Charlie Hillard even had a nice two ship Mooney team for a few years in the 80’s. . 

Do yourself a favor and keep it upright. 

I have always been amazed at what people do half way thru aerobatic menauvers. Most always never have enough pitch, dish the roll and always pull when inverted. Any one  combination of the three will kill you. 

-Matt 

3 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Maybe the 2nd, I put the OP of the mile high club thread #1.

MS is starting to become more like POA every day.

The MHC won’t over stress the airframe if his efforts are unsuccessful, and the interior can be cleaned, aerobatics in an unapproved airframe by an untrained pilot is a different matter.

Clarence

Gentleman,

This was a mere attempt to see who has attempted or accomplished such a task. I have near 100 hours worth of aerobatics logged in Pitts and Cristian Eagles. NO WAY would I do even the simplest 1G roll in a Mooney.  

The advice and inspirational quotes are very welcomed nonetheless. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Dumb to even try:  So much risk to accept when it’s so easy to just go fly an aerobatic airplane legally and safely.

things you don’t have in a Mooney: inverted flight tanks, inverted baffles in the oil system, a parachute, an easy way out of the airplane...

that said- a barrel roll should be a positive G maneuver.  And a normal category airplane is good up to 3.8G’s by certification standards.

Are there differences in the limitations sections for J models?   In the comments for the vid above somebody claims the limitations in their POH indicates aerobatics are prohibited.   In mine (POH 1220 for an early J model), it just says, "Aerobatic maneuvers, including spins, are not approved."   Is there a difference between "prohibited" and "not approved"?

Gentleman,
This was a mere attempt to see who has attempted or accomplished such a task. I have near 100 hours worth of aerobatics logged in Pitts and Cristian Eagles. NO WAY would I do even the simplest 1G roll in a Mooney.  
The advice and inspirational quotes are very welcomed nonetheless. 

I’m glad you have no desire to do them in your Mooney. Is your up and flying yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/24/2018 at 9:24 PM, xcrmckenna said:

I’m glad you have no desire to do them in your Mooney. Is your up and flying yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting ever so close now. Prop is at East Coast Propellers getting a overhaul. Once returned and reinstalled, all thats left is the annual. 

I Ran it up and down the runway last week a bunch of times to get the new brakes broke in. It ran smooth.

Should be complete and airworthy by the time I get back from Sun n Fun.  Looking forward to meeting some of ya here around Delaware. 

Edited by Fookz92
  • Like 1