DIY G5 HSI installation

bradp

3 hours ago, bradp said:

Hi Kyle the century follows the heading mode with a G5 and GAD29b  in one of two ways-

a). Century radio coupler in hdg mode and the G5 with GPSs (roll steering) unselected.  In this case you will follow the G5 (HSI) heading bug. 

b ).  Century radio coupler in hdg mode and the G5 with GPSS selected.  In this case the computer in the G5 ignores your heading select bug.  It uses the computer to pretend to be a heading bug sending signals about your GPS selected bearing to / course to and cross track error.  It computes a solution that mimics the heading signals that your century autopilot listens to but the G5 is pretty smart- it can turn your plane in  holds and anticipate turn radius to fly more maneuvers more precisely.  

Check out the pilots guide and AFMS- they’re both good sources for information. 

Thanks Brad!

Is there a particular reason I see everyone is installing the GMU 11 in the RH wing? If you plan to install a GFC 500 at a later date, I think the roll servo is getting installed in that wing (RH). Is it install far enough away to not create interference? Just curious.Would it matter if you installed it in the LH wing other than you are going to have the CAN BUS wire strung all over the place. 

see the video i posted early (page 2 of this thread)

I put a whiskey compass and recorded what happens when servos are activated. Not a good location for me. Of course it will depend of what you have in the tail cone. I have an S-tec pitch servo and a trim servo there.   

Easiest location is the tail but too much interference there so put the GMU in the RW since the A/P servo was in the RW

Edited by OR75

see the video i posted early (page 2 of this thread)
I put a whiskey compass and recorded what happens when servos are activated. Not a good location for me. Of course it will depend of what you have in the tail cone. I have an S-tec pitch servo and a trim servo there.   
Easiest location is the tail but too much interference there so put the GMU in the RW since the A/P servo was in the RW

Mine is on a shelf high up and several feet from the servos.
9dc1ede136b8ae7dc35b3f73afda034e.jpg
No issues with AP active.

Tom
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Art- which autopilot do you have?  I'd rather not mount mine in the right wing.  I like your solution.

It is a lot easier to run the wires to the wing than the tail. If you are already running wires to the tail, then you already have all the interior out and it doesn’t matter much. I just mounted mine on the lower wing skin. It works perfect. If you put it in the tail you will have to make a bracket.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

It is a lot easier to run the wires to the wing than the tail. If you are already running wires to the tail, then you already have all the interior out and it doesn’t matter much. I just mounted mine on the lower wing skin. It works perfect. If you put it in the tail you will have to make a bracket.

Actually running wires in the leading edge of the wing is not that easy. You have to fish or pull the wire with safety wire - did not find a easier solution. Also need to put grommets in the holes that the wire goes through 

39 minutes ago, OR75 said:

Actually running wires in the leading edge of the wing is not that easy. You have to fish or pull the wire with safety wire - did not find a easier solution. Also need to put grommets in the holes that the wire goes through 

I just followed the wing light wires and ty-wrapped them together.

12 hours ago, OR75 said:

I didn't find it that bad for the OAT probe I put in for the JPI. Biggest help was having one of those cheap inspection/borescope cameras to play find the safety wire when I missed the hole so I could aim better. Also remembering that if I couldn't get one way to work I could use a new piece of safety wire from the other direction to hook onto the one ferrying the actual wire. Admittedly it would have been nice to have an inspection plate between every set of ribs and then it would have taken about 5 minutes.

Then again I've had plenty of practice doing this in my attic which is too short for a human so all my electrical and network conduit runs are done by fishing from the attic opening, often involving magnets.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm guessing you leveled the aircraft, found your sweet spot, marked the holes, and drilled away? It was that simple? What started off sounding like rocket science was simplified into something quite doable by my standards...

• 4 months later...

I am not working on a mooney now, but given all of the panel work you guys might be able to help me?

I am redoing a panel (left side only) for a Cessna 150-F, and need a template for a DG that has a heading bug.  Seems they put a screwhole just to the top-left of the lower left Knob, and I want to give the CNC guy something to work with.

Please let me know if anyone has a template or CNC measurements?

Great looking works on panels here.  I like the one on page 4 that is a pale tan color?!  That might be a powder-coat I go with for the old Cessna.

Thanx for sharing!

• 5 months later...

Hi Brad,

I'm relatively new to mooneyspace.com and enjoyed your posting regarding the dual G-5 installation.  My 78 M20J currently has a vacuum system with a Century IIB installed. I am getting ready to install two G-5's and I have a few questions to ask. 

1. If I interpret your photos of the gmu-11 installation correctly. Is you gmu-11 and bracket located in the first wing bay just outboard the right gear? Pls confirm. If possible can you mark up the attached sketch.Scan.tif

2. Garmin revised the G-5 installation manual to add a diode and discrete resistors to the CAN bus wiring harness as well as specifying special CAN bus wire for GFC-500 installations. Do you or anyone else have any insight as why these changes were made ?

Thanks,

Hank

10 hours ago, Steep68 said:

Hi Brad,

I'm relatively new to mooneyspace.com and enjoyed your posting regarding the dual G-5 installation.  My 78 M20J currently has a vacuum system with a Century IIB installed. I am getting ready to install two G-5's and I have a few questions to ask. 

1. If I interpret your photos of the gmu-11 installation correctly. Is you gmu-11 and bracket located in the first wing bay just outboard the right gear? Pls confirm. If possible can you mark up the attached sketch.Scan.tif

2. Garmin revised the G-5 installation manual to add a diode and discrete resistors to the CAN bus wiring harness as well as specifying special CAN bus wire for GFC-500 installations. Do you or anyone else have any insight as why these changes were made ?

Thanks,

Hank

Hank,

I just installed 2 G5s and Brad helped me a lot.  I'm not sure where he put his GMU, but mine is in the right wing 3 bays outboard of the landing gear. When I did the magnetic survey, the only thing that even registered on my G5 to any real degree was the NAV light turning on.  I think unless your strobe wiring was unshielded or otherwise wonky, the GMU will pass the test in most wing locations.

As far as the diodes and resistors- a short while ago, Garmin started to offer a "Lightning Protection Module" which includes the resistors and diode and is much easier to install.  I'm guessing that those components were probably needed to pass lightning certification standards that the FAA didn't consider at first, and then insisted Garmin comply with.

Good luck, it's a really powerful combination.  Mine is coupled to a new GPS175 and I'm still blown away by its capabilities.

Hi Brad,
Thanks,
Hank

My 78J has the GMU in the tail on a bracket, it replaced the old HSI magnetometer. I think to select the wing is easier installation but if you ever install the GFC 500, you’ll need to wire back to tail anyway.

My Thanks to Andy95w and ArtVandelay for their input. I 'm trying to keep the CAN bus runs short as possible and wanted to know if Brad was able to stick his GMU-11 inboard of the Century IIB roll servo, which I believe is in the next bay over.

My Thanks also carusoam. I found some mooneyspace.com posts very useful e.g. rocker switch covers, the effort to replace the recognition light with an led, etc. Please keep them coming.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steep68 said:

My Thanks to Andy95w and ArtVandelay for their input. I 'm trying to keep the CAN bus runs short as possible and wanted to know if Brad was able to stick his GMU-11 inboard of the Century IIB roll servo, which I believe is in the next bay over.

My Thanks also carusoam. I found some mooneyspace.com posts very useful e.g. rocker switch covers, the effort to replace the recognition light with an led, etc. Please keep them coming.

Hank

The CIIB servo is completely independent of the Can bus . My GMU 11 is actually on the opposite wing. The wing with the servo has the pitot heat and stall warming wires 

the servo will get its signal from the CIIB console 

the question is more about where you will install the GAD29B (if you have or will have one ) 

OR75 Thank you for your comments. The reason why I followed Brad's posting was my plane has similar avionics and I was thinking of doing a similar avionics upgrade in a piecemeal fashion. I liked Brad's solution of stacking the flightstream 210 with GAD-29B behind the panel and above the nose wheel well. As for the CIIB, I would like to replace it with a GFC-500 but who knows when. Again assuming the new GSA-28 roll servo went in the same location as the CIIB servo, my daisy chained CAN harness could then be looped backed to tail to the pitch servo. That was what I was thinking when I asked the question.

Best regards,  

Hank