DIY G5 HSI installation

bradp

• 2 months later...

You guys that have dual G5s, and gad29b connected to legacy autopilot and G430w... did you still have to use both 430w ARINC ports?  I have a gtx 345 that uses one and I’d like to keep it there, but definitely want to go with dual g5s.

(Stec 30A, GPSS, G430W, Gtx345, and King Hsi currently)

I know there was a thread about this on the Beechtalk forum but I can't find it.  I think Garmin was planning a software update that would change the connection requirements when using a GNS430w.  I'd suggest you have your avionics person give Garmin a call.

1 hour ago, Bob - S50 said:

I know there was a thread about this on the Beechtalk forum but I can't find it.  I think Garmin was planning a software update that would change the connection requirements when using a GNS430w.  I'd suggest you have your avionics person give Garmin a call.

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

HI all,

@orionflt asked me if I had dimensions for the little wing rib bracket that I fabricated.  I didn't - just a rough outline even though I've now made a couple of these.  So, I came up with an 'improved design' in solidworks.

I don't have access to a sheet metal shop anymore, but I am happy to pass on the plans / sheet metal cuts / bends / solidworks file if anyone needs.

-Brad

image.thumb.png.6c0a8fda0b40f1050433ab84be1494f6.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm also starting a dual G5 install.  Any detailed hints on how to run wire to the wing for the magnetometer?  Doesn't look easy. Nav light cable runs along the front. Doesn't look like a good option. If I run aft of the spar, is there a path to the front outside of wheel well?  I'd like to pre wire for the Garmin 500 AP at the same time. Currently no AP. Avionics shop is letting me help with a lot of the work so your write up is priceless. Planning toabout put the GAD29 in back.  

I put a king flux gate in the right wing of my plane. I pulled the wire to the aft edge of the rib outboard of the wheel well, then puled it behind the wheel well into the belly of the plane. There are two smaller oval-shaped inspection panels behind the wheel well to help. then through the belly to the LH side, then up through the factory-provided hole in the floor to the main bundle along the LH side.

Wrap the wire with silicone self-fusing tape for a few inches where it goes through the gap at the back of the rib.

Thanks, Just finished pulling panels on my right wing. We checked the space just outside the wheel well with a compass and did not get any deflection when moving the ailerons. I’m still trying to figure out how to get into the space in the aft section of the wing. I think I only have one access panel there. 

21 hours ago, McMooney said:

I'm thinking about putting in the g5 hsi, was wondering why people don't put the gmu 11 in the tail where the current magnetometer lives.

My GMU11 for my G5 HSI is in the tail.   Doesn't seem to be an issue.

Caution to anyone contemplating a dual G5 install - the latest revision of the install manual is calling for unobtainable extremely expensive and specific CAN wire for the canbus.  It’s absrud but it is what it is.  

How did you manage to get a wire up thru that space. I only have one removeable inspection panel in that area the rest are riveted. The first rib out has a small hole with grommet for the nav wire and a closure, looks like an elastomer or graphite, around the aeleron push pull tube. No openings otherwise. 

Caution to anyone contemplating a dual G5 install - the latest revision of the install manual is calling for unobtainable extremely expensive and specific CAN wire for the canbus.  It’s absrud but it is what it is.  

Supposedly that’s being fix and next version coming shortly will correct this.

Tom

13 hours ago, Buckeyechuck said:

How did you manage to get a wire up thru that space. I only have one removeable inspection panel in that area the rest are riveted. The first rib out has a small hole with grommet for the nav wire and a closure, looks like an elastomer or graphite, around the aeleron push pull tube. No openings otherwise. 

All my inspection panels are nut plate with screws and are therefore accessible.  I used a Home Depot fiberglass wire puller (looks like a fishing rod) to thread each mini lightening hole in toward the root and then pull the wire back from the root toward the tip.   After that just follow the path of the existing wire bundle in the root to the panel.  

Hi all,

There was a question about how to find the parts for the G5 HSI wiring to a Century legacy (IIb) autopilot.

Here is the parts list.

Note this does not include the diode now needed in the power circuit for the G5 in the latest installation manual revisions.

Take care,

Brad

Transformer    MIL-T-27 Type TF5S21ZZ    Triad magnetics    SP-66    2    16.29    https://www.mouser.com/productdetail/triad-magnetics/sp-66?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv0IfuNuy2LUVjRCtvjYzVb9P5YJKB9FoE%3D or  https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/triad-magnetics/SP-66/237-1151-ND/242673  

Resistor    MIL-R-10509    Vishay    RN60D1002FB14    2    0.18    XXX   https://www.mouser.com/productdetail/?qs=UnBokwpwLz%2b1Jc1aDH5crw%3D%3D   or http://www.newark.com/vishay-dale/rn60d1002fb14/metal-film-resistor-10kohm-250mw/dp/83F1613

Mating connector    126-217    Amphenol / Cooper    126-217-1000    1    23.98   http://www.tedss.com/1262171000/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAq6_UBRCEARIsAHyrgUyCzPYd6nMHoYwDBj1vEW3ZZIL18GWdywEB1p2viV6TsUH-KDnu75EaAvCEEALw_wcB

Tank resonant circuit    Inductor    JW Miller    8250-183K-RC    1    1.35    https://www.mouser.com/productdetail/jw-miller/8250-183k-rc?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsg%2by3WlYCkU37zeRG8V0OzueXKMMi9Ebg%3D

Tank resonant  circuit    MIL-PRF-39014     Kemet    CKR05BX473M    1    0.5   http://www.tedss.com/2020025878

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2018 at 12:25 PM, bradp said:

Any time Glen- that’s what this forum is great for.  Imagine trying to own / work on / upgrade one of these old birds without this community- would be pretty difficult.  

Here’s the GPSS working on the G5 while I’m getting vectored around to join an ILS approach at ILM. 

Sorry about the bumps... 

Thanks for posing this Brad!

I'm still trying to learn and figure everything out. How are you getting the Century A/P to follow the flight plan? I see your radio coupler is selected to HDG but on your DG it's ignoring your heading bug.

I just got mine out of the shop on Friday and have played with the G5 and Heading mode but have not had time to play with the GNX 375 Navigator much. 

Appreciate your help so much! 

Hi Kyle the century follows the heading mode with a G5 and GAD29b  in one of two ways-

a). Century radio coupler in hdg mode and the G5 with GPSs (roll steering) unselected.  In this case you will follow the G5 (HSI) heading bug. 

b ).  Century radio coupler in hdg mode and the G5 with GPSS selected.  In this case the computer in the G5 ignores your heading select bug.  It uses the computer to pretend to be a heading bug sending signals about your GPS selected bearing to / course to and cross track error.  It computes a solution that mimics the heading signals that your century autopilot listens to but the G5 is pretty smart- it can turn your plane in  holds and anticipate turn radius to fly more maneuvers more precisely.  

Check out the pilots guide and AFMS- they’re both good sources for information.