Printing owner checklist

M20F-1968

This is Mooney related only because I am trying to create a checklist in booklet form.  I posted to the Apple support community but received no response that was helpful.  there are lots of bright people here, many with software experience greater than mine.

I am using Microsoft Word for MAC version 16.11.  My operating system is High Sierra on Macbook Pro.  

I have installed a MAC application called Create Booklet (but and earlier version before Ver 2).  The settings in Word for printing are:

Copies & Pages

In the PDF tab I click on Create Booklet

2 sided printing

Scale to fit - fill entire page

The document will print as a booklet, 2 pages per side of 8 1/2 X 11 paper, but the back side is printed up side down as compared to the front page.  

If I print single sided, I can arrange the pages back to back so I create a proper booklet.  

Does anyone know of this problem and how to fix it.  I have created a checklist booklet of a good size, with not only checklists but emergency procedures and performance charts.  I just need to get it past this last step. 

You can e-mail me at john.breda@gmail.com.  My cell is (617) 877-0025.

This is Mooney related only because I am trying to create a checklist in booklet form.  I posted to the Apple support community but received no response that was helpful.  there are lots of bright people here, many with software experience greater than mine.
I am using Microsoft Word for MAC version 16.11.  My operating system is High Sierra on Macbook Pro.  
I have installed a MAC application called Create Booklet (but and earlier version before Ver 2).  The settings in Word for printing are:
Copies & Pages
In the PDF tab I click on Create Booklet
2 sided printing
Scale to fit - fill entire page
The document will print as a booklet, 2 pages per side of 8 1/2 X 11 paper, but the back side is printed up side down as compared to the front page.  
If I print single sided, I can arrange the pages back to back so I create a proper booklet.  
Does anyone know of this problem and how to fix it.  I have created a checklist booklet of a good size, with not only checklists but emergency procedures and performance charts.  I just need to get it past this last step. 
You can e-mail me at john.breda@gmail.com.  My cell is (617) 877-0025.

Under 2 sided copy's their should be a setting on which way to flip - long side or short side from memory.
Start there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul said this faster than I could finish typing...^^^

John,

I expect there has got to be a box to click for that...

You should be able to ‘preview’ what the print should look like, before actually printing it.

This is great when the preview actually prints the same mistake...

If the preview doesn’t invert the second page, that means there might be a printer driver error...  Downloading the latest printer driver update might be easy on a MAC.

I have tons of Microsoft Word experience... from the 90s...  lots of printer driver experience that has been long forgotten...

I’m sure this way works...

After that... print single pages... then feed the printed page through the printer again to print the other side.  This takes experimentation to figure out how to put the printed page back in the printer!  Upside down and rotated... 90s style! :)

Best regards,

-a-

6 hours ago, Marauder said:

Have you tried portrait mode?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tried that.  It did not work.  I have tried choosing the "Create Booklet" in Word and it did not work.  If I click on the "Create Booklet" option under the PDF option created by the Apple App "Create Booklet" it will do everything correctly, except print the backside of the paper upside down.

John Breda

Tried that.  It did not work.  I have tried choosing the "Create Booklet" in Word and it did not work.  If I click on the "Create Booklet" option under the PDF option created by the Apple App "Create Booklet" it will do everything correctly, except print the backside of the paper upside down.

John Breda

John - I will PM you my email and if you want, let me try to see if I can get it to format correctly. If I understand what you are trying to do is create a two sided checklist (on 8.5”X11” size) in a booklet form.

BTW - I saw you finally found my Facebook friend request.

• Like 1

Says me print out your preflight checklist on one page, preferably single sided.  Print out a bunch of them.  Make a pad out of them, w with a nice strong backing.  Now you can carry your checklist around as you do your preflight, and check off preflight items as they're done.  Anything not checked off at the end?  Go back and do it again.  Once the checklist is done you throw it away and use the next one next time.

I did my checklists in Word, but on a PC.

Forget other software, use Word's Help function for "booklet printing". Everything came out nice on my single-sided printer after a short test run to determine which way to orient the sheets when inserting to print the back side. To get thjs right, I drew a large arrow on the top sheet, printed it, turned it over and inserted in with the arrow pointing in the same direction. 

Once I had the alignment figured out, I printed the whole thing, stacked up the pages and stapled them in the middle. Over the course of several flights, I wrote on it to make changes, additions and rearrangements. Edited the file, reprinted it, soft laminated each sheet, stacked them up and creased them to fold in half.

Look up "pamohlet stitch," a pitifully simple way to sew the sheets into a pamphlet that will greatly outlast staples. Mine is pushing 10 years old and holding up well to living on my kneeboard for almost 800 hours. I keep the left side under the clip on the Pre Start page, so that I can flip through easily. Booklet format gave me enough space to add the Performance Tables from 2300-2700 RPM, the part that I actually use, so I flip pages a lot.

Happy printing! And if Word for Mac won't do this for you, email the file to a friend, neighbir or coworker whose computer isn't handicapped.  ;)

1 hour ago, steingar said:

Says me print out your preflight checklist on one page, preferably single sided.  Print out a bunch of them.  Make a pad out of them, w with a nice strong backing.  Now you can carry your checklist around as you do your preflight, and check off preflight items as they're done.  Anything not checked off at the end?  Go back and do it again.  Once the checklist is done you throw it away and use the next one next time.

Preflight is only one page (one half of a landscape sheet). My checklist booklet is probably 16 pages (4 landscape sheets folded in half, printed on both sides), with a title page at the front and the Performance Tables at the back. One laminated copy has sufficed for the last ten years, and protected the old, fragile, browning Owners Manual from being pawed through on every flight.

And I've not had to run around looking for a trash can before every flight that doesn't orininate in my hangar . . . .

My check list is a full sheet, back side has W&B info and graphs, POH was printed the half sheets on light weight card stock, hole punched and put in an zippered day minder binder. Both the check list and POH are also on my iPad in PDF's and pulled up when needed in the split screen function of Wing-X. By the way the original POH (FAA Approved & Required to be in the plane) is on the hat rack.

My check list is a full sheet, back side has W&B info and graphs, POH was printed the half sheets on light weight card stock, hole punched and put in an zippered day minder binder. Both the check list and POH are also on my iPad in PDF's and pulled up when needed in the split screen function of Wing-X. By the way the original POH (FAA Approved & Required to be in the plane) is on the hat rack.

I’ve been using Garmin Pilot’s Checklists and W&B features for a year now but do carry laminated versions.
37f4563378242966c277352da8dc4d22.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

I’ve been using Garmin Pilot’s Checklists and W&B features for a year now but do carry laminated versions.
37f4563378242966c277352da8dc4d22.jpg

I've never seen L_I_F_T on a checklist.... What does it stand for?

10 minutes ago, jmoz said:

I've never seen L_I_F_T on a checklist.... What does it stand for?

Its an mnemonic that I learned at the 141 school I got my private at. It was used as the last check before initiating the takeoff run.

L - Lights, Lined up on correct runway

I - Instruments (DG matches runway heading, no engine warning light, etc.)

F - Fuel selector set correctly, Fuel pump on

T - Trim set correctly, Transponder (don't use this anymore since my transponder activates based on speed), Time off (Zulu time) 

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

Its an mnemonic that I learned at the 141 school I got my private at. It was used as the last check before initiating the takeoff run.

L - Lights, Lined up on correct runway

I - Instruments (DG matches runway heading, no engine warning light, etc.)

F - Fuel selector set correctly, Fuel pump on

T - Trim set correctly, Transponder (don't use this anymore since my transponder activates based on speed), Time off (Zulu time) 

There are so many of these, I wonder if there's a collection somewhere.   I learned sifters, CIFFTRS:

Controls - usual control check, box pattern, whatever

Instruments - DG, Altimeter, AI, engine, etc., all hunky-dorry.

Fuel - indicators show enough for flight, proper tank selected, boost pump, etc.

Flaps - set for TO

Trim - set for TO

Runup - complete

Seatbelts - everybody is buckled, I try to get the door and storm window with this one, too.

I do like LIFT for a final check turning on the runway.

There's CIGARS, GUMPS, CBGUMPS, etc., etc., etc.   I'm always a little surprised that there seems to always be a new one that I hadn't heard of before.   I hadn't seen LIFT before.

5 hours ago, Hank said:

Preflight is only one page (one half of a landscape sheet). My checklist booklet is probably 16 pages (4 landscape sheets folded in half, printed on both sides), with a title page at the front and the Performance Tables at the back. One laminated copy has sufficed for the last ten years, and protected the old, fragile, browning Owners Manual from being pawed through on every flight.

And I've not had to run around looking for a trash can before every flight that doesn't orininate in my hangar . . . .

Oh I have a laminated one as well, but were I taking the trouble to make a brand new checklist I think that's how I'd do it.  I actually should, the laminated one really and truly sucks.

6 hours ago, RLCarter said:

I don't know how I'd feel about leaving the POH in the hat rack.  If you hit something, a 2 pound weight is going to come flying forward right at head level.  I just stick it in the pocket on the back of the front seats...

24 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

I don't know how I'd feel about leaving the POH in the hat rack.  If you hit something, a 2 pound weight is going to come flying forward right at head level.  I just stick it in the pocket on the back of the front seats...

2#’s? It’s a 34 page booklet at best,  maybe 4oz, this is the original, the reprint in a nice binder is stowed in the side pocket next to my left leg

12 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

2#’s? It’s a 34 page booklet at best,  maybe 4oz, this is the original, the reprint in a nice binder is stowed in the side pocket next to my left leg

Yeah, my Owners Manual is about 1/4" thick, and is in the right seat back pocket. Only needed it in flight once, to hand to my CFII after hand-cranking the gear down after electrical failure on approach, just below the clouds we had been cruising in . . . I knew the procedure, and how useless the whole "Emergency" section is (both pages of it . . . . )

45 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

Ah, okay, the M20J POH is 200+ pages in a binder.  I'm glad your noggin will be safe! ;)

• Like 1