Mooney Pre Buy Video

82Mike

On 3/21/2018 at 9:31 PM, sgrooves said:

Great video and beautiful plane. I’m down at KAPF at least once a year now with my J. Would love to see yours in person sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me know when your here.  Wingsouth is 4 Miles from APF.

I really don’t remember that is terrible.  It was like just under 90k. I have put 90 or so more into it like i references in the video.  I have done the following;

1) New Paint

2) All new panel (Aspen 2500, Garmin 750, JPI 900, Garmin G5, remote Garmin GTX 345 transponder, PS Audiio panel, FS510 tied to the iPad you see in the pics. Then new custom cut panel to house all of it.

3) Speed brakes

4) Landing gear donuts

5) new glass all around 

6) 1 piece belly panel

7) zéro timed engine (aero mark in Ft. Lauderdale)

8) new prop 

9) gami injectors

10) power flow exhaust

11) Led lighting all around

I think that is all that i have done?  The reason for the video was to show the “high” end of what you could do with an older plane.  Not that you have to do all of that?  I tried really hard to express that view throughout the video.  

My logic was always this is the only plane i will ever own and so even having say 60k more into it than i would ever get back, so what?  It is not an investment to me, rather it is like buying a “classic” car and restoring it?  I train many SR22 pilots (which i feel is a tremendous airplane), but it is nowhere near as “cool” as 133DB :) and they are at least 3 times as much money to be configured similar to my Mooney.

inam 56 years old, live in a fly in community, so god willing I will get to fly her for 20 years or so.  If that is the case, all the improvements will long since be superseded by newer and better “stuff”, but I got to use it for 20 years in mint condition?

The only other major thing i would like to do on the horizon is to put in a GFC 500/600 AP.  My KAP150 works well, but fails its test sometimes (indicative of needing a new servo).  I really would rather just plunk down 20k more into a 21st century AP than just keep throwing 3 or 4K at a 40 year old AP every couple years?

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to answer some of the questions I have been asked since the video was posted.

Thanks!

Mike

• Like 1