Avidyne IFD440 upgrade decision

I am considering replacing my Garmin 430W with a slide-in Avidyne IFD440.  After spending some time with the IFD440 simulator, I am starting to feel that the small screen - particularly in map view - is so cluttered that I question how useable it would actually be.  I also miss having the frequencies visible at all times.  The unit is so smart and makes so many decisions automatically, I find it difficult to confirm that it is doing what I want it to do.  I am impressed with the features and speed of the unit, but it sure felt comfortable going back to the 430W.  What have been the impressions of those who have made this upgrade?  I don't have space for a IFD540.

--------------------------------
Charles Raines
chuck459@mac.com

4 minutes ago, chuck459 said:

I am considering replacing my Garmin 430W with a slide-in Avidyne IFD440.  After spending some time with the IFD440 simulator, I am starting to feel that the small screen - particularly in map view - is so cluttered that I question how useable it would actually be.  I also miss having the frequencies visible at all times.  The unit is so smart and makes so many decisions automatically, I find it difficult to confirm that it is doing what I want it to do.  I am impressed with the features and speed of the unit, but it sure felt comfortable going back to the 430W.  What have been the impressions of those who have made this upgrade?  I don't have space for a IFD540.

The answer is the IFD100 app: https://www.avidyne.com/products/ifd/ifd100.html

• Like 3

Just upgraded my 430W to a 440 about 3 weeks ago.  The 540 is indeed much nicer in terms of screen realestate, however the smart thing to do is to buy the 440 and take advantage of using an ipad as a secondary screen thus saving big $$ on purchase and installation costs.  Now I do all of my flight planning, freq swaps, etc from the ipad which has a much much larger screen -- and it displays both the comm and nav freqs together.  I watched all "Baron Pilot"s" videos on youtube and followed along on the simulator.  He has some great content and made it easy to jump right into the 440.

I have exclusively used garmin products in the past (G1000, 430, 530, etc)- and that is what I have been familiar with.  The luring curve for the IFD440 took about 2 weeks of on and off simulator use in my free time and now I have the layout memorized and it is very user friendly.  Much easier and quicker to find what you are looking for on the 440 than in the 430 for new users. 

My favorite feature of the 440 thus far has been the knobs (crazy right?).  Funny enough at the Mooney fly-in last week I was having a hard time adjusting freqs using the touchscreen because the turbulence was so bad.  I reached up and grabbed a knob and simply twisted.  I didnt have to worry about poking all kinds of buttons on the touchscreen while bumping up and down. 

• Like 2

Love my 440, I could never get proficient with the 430. I’ve had the 440 for almost a year. Working on my IR loading approaches and changing the flight plan when needed is a breeze. Half of that I’ve had the IFD100. I would recommend the Skytrax100 but not a necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with the 430 to 440 route and as stated above the real value is the interface with the IFD 100 Ipad app.  I went with the Skytrax and I'm happy.   No more Stratus to worry about.  This short video sold me.  With the AXP 322 remote transponder you have to enter the squawk code and Ident on the panel mounted IFD 440, but basically everything else can be done with the IFD 100 Ipad app.  This short video sold me on this combination.  For now I will keep ForeFlight for the apporoach charts, but need to look at other options.

• Like 1

This seamless direct ipad software interface with the IFD440 looks truly outstanding!  I have a Flightstream 210 linking my ipad with Foreflight to the Garmin unit, and flight plan synching in flight from the panel to the ipad is glitchy as heck.  I'll likely have to switch to Garmin pilot at some point and learn a new software if Foreflight doesn't get the issues fixed. 

In hindsight, there is no way I'd have gone with the GTN650 3 years ago had I known this direct wifi ipad interface would become an option with the Avidyne.  I didn't have a 430 tray already in place to do the direct swap to the Avidyne, so it was a more equal comparison between Garmin and Avidyne for me at the time.  I elected to save a couple thousand bucks and go with the Garmin, but then adding the Flightstream negated most of that difference. 

• Like 2