What do you think of this crazy J??

55 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Dan - I know your shop is a full service avionics/paint/interior shop. Can you ball park the value of upgrades you see on this plane? Even if they are depreciated because of their age, he still has a ton invested in it.

Ball park if you were doing Aspen PFD/MFD,  GTN 750,650, GTX330ES, GMA35C, Stec 60pss, JPI EDM 730, new paint, new interior today would be at minimum $100 AMUs.  Even more depending on how extensive of a paint job and interior he did.  This doesn't account for the engine reman costs either.

• Like 6

I'd likely be a buyer at $145K for this plane and might go a bit higher. With the standard disclaimer that it passes a proper PPI. I don't like paying for paint or interior as it's such a personal taste thing. But it is worth something.

The panel is done well with the exception of the EDM 730. But that's easily rectified. 

You could likely fly this plane for the next 10 years with nothing but standard annuals each year. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'd likely be a buyer at $145K for this plane and might go a bit higher. With the standard disclaimer that it passes a proper PPI. I don't like paying for paint or interior as it's such a personal taste thing. But it is worth something.

The panel is done well with the exception of the EDM 730. But that's easily rectified. 

You could likely fly this plane for the next 10 years with nothing but standard annuals each year. 

My sentiments exactly.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

I don’t understand painting a plane in 2014 and making it look like it was painted in 1984... If you’re going to spend the money...to each his own.

Some guys like the nostalgia of the original factory paint schemes of its era.

In the corporate world we find some conservative paint schemes as well.  Even Donald Trump's S-76 helicopters we painted.  We originally provided him some pretty tricked out contemporary designs.  I talked to him on the phone when he was trying to pick out his paint schemes.  He asked which one I would pick, and I preferred the more modern contemporary schemes.  But he ultimately went with a more conservative black and white with a couple red stripes that he had before.  One thing about it was that everyone recognized his aircraft and he didn't want to change it.

@201er made a statement to me at last weekend's fly in that when we put the new fancy paint jobs on Mooneys like mine, you lose visual reference of what era aircraft was from.  He said you can normally pick out the model year by looking at the paint job.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rmag said:

Even Donald Trump's S-76 helicopters we painted.  We originally provided him some pretty tricked out contemporary designs.  I talked to him on the phone when he was trying to pick out his paint schemes.  He asked which one I would pick, and I preferred the more modern contemporary schemes.  But he ultimately went with a more conservative black and white with a couple red stripes that he had before.  One thing about it was that everyone recognized his aircraft and he didn't want to change it.

Did you get paid for the job or asked to get paid 50% of the negotiated price?   :D

• Haha 2

That’s got to be the highest priced J I’ve ever seen.  That’s A36TN money. My buddy Jim’s N33YZ was every bit that plane less the engine and it only brought mid 110s. I wish him well but it looks like he added up all his costs and listed it for that. 

• Like 2

That’s got to be the highest priced J I’ve ever seen.  That’s A36TN money. My buddy Jim’s N33YZ was every bit that plane less the engine and it only brought mid 110s. I wish him well but it looks like he added up all his costs and listed it for that. 

Not even the highest currently listed:
0b4a2f4c3a6c306ec3852c719c3f304b.jpg

Note the panel.

For that price, I’d buy a missile, rocket, early ovation or bravo.  Then add the instruments over the course of a few years.  

I don’t think that price is too crazy for a perfect turn key J-just looking looking at the (very limited) selections.  It does seem to be a sellers market- very few nice examples out there....

16 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

The peanut gallery here seems a lot more polite to the seller than it usually has been. What gives?  

I think the realization that a flyable bare-bones J with a mid time motor seems to be going for 100K these days.  This is a good thing, right? Or is this a sign that we’re about to hit a recession? ;)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Thanks for the info. Just curious, what’s wrong with the EDM 730?

You could not build it yourself for less. And if you did build it yourself you would have a year downtime doing it. On the flip side when somebody else does it they always do at least one thing wrong. Like leave factory gauges and not put in the 930.

• Like 2

In my 1994 J I usually saw 150ktas at 10GPH with a 3 blade. Sure with a better engine monitor, more balanced injectors, etc I probably could have cut down that fuel flow a bit since I was pretty much always higher than optimal(9-12k usually). Never really got a good read on the speed down low since you tend to run into things at those altitudes out here.

11 hours ago, BodyshopDave said:

Useful load is in the upper 800s. I’m awaiting logs to be sent.

Too low for my taste.  When we were looking we weren't interested in anything that was under 950 lbs.  Upper 800's might be OK if you never want to fill all the seats and do more than taxi around the airport.

• Like 2