Garmin G5 Glideslope

Morning all,

New to these forums, but I am looking at installing a pair of G5's in my Mooney as a less expensive glass cockpit solution.  Unfortunately, everything I have found on the G5 indicates it will not have a glideslope for an ILS approach.  However, I stumbled upon the Part 23 AML STC Installation Manual today.  Here is the link:

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/pdf/G5INSTALL.pdf

In this publication, it clearly states in Paragraph 6.3.8.7 titled VOR/LOC/GS Check

"This test is only performed for installations that have an HSI installed and interfaced to a VHF navigation source. Check the VOR, ILS, and Glideslope functions with ramp test equipment. Operate the equipment according to the test equipment manufacturer’s instructions. Adjust the RF signal to a level adequate to perform the test. Select the appropriate HSI source as required by the VHF navigation source interfaced to the G5 HSI."  It then goes on to describe the acceptable amount of glideslope deviation for the test.  Basically, does anyone actually know if the Certified G5 will display glideslope from an ILS?

Mine has one.

The glide slope indication only shows up when you have an active ILS source. You have to be in VLOC mode and be receiving a GS signal.

Remember that a G5 can only be connected to a navigator that produces AIRINC NAV messages. You cannot connect it to an old NAVCOM.

It just needs to be configured as either a "Dual G5" setup or a standalone :"HSI G5".  The STC does not allow for using the "PFD G5" as a CDI.  Kind of makes sense.  The standalone HSI G5 uses a Gad29 or Gad29b(autopilot GPSS) interface to route signals from VOR/ILS via AIRINC interface to the G5.  So yes- it will definitely show a glidescope.  The boxes that it will work with are the GTN series, GNS series, GNC 255a/b, SL-30, and although not part of the STC it will work with the IFD series navigators.  It won't work with any legacy / analog NAV or NAV/COM boxes such as the KX-155, KX-170, Narco's, MACs, etc.  Needs to have a digital output to work...

• Like 1

Mine  works with  Garmin GNC  255 Navigator. though a very subtle configuration setup on GNC to communicate with G5 to get the CDI.  The G5 uses  RS232 to communicate  VOR/ILS to Information to the  GNC 255. The Magnetometer GMU11 uses CAN to communicate with G5 HSI and ADI.  It is a  slight pain is that when you want change OBS on the VOR.  To change the VOR  it is couple extra button pushes and knob rotation to get to OBS selection. 

James

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Let's say you just have a G5 attitude indicator. For the GNC 255A to interface with that for LOC/GS, do you just need a RS232 interface cable? Also, can the GNC interface with both the G5 and another indicator, such as a KI-204 or KI-209 with a RS232 or do you need the GAD 29B for the KI and G5 to both function?

Edited by Tmath27

3 hours ago, Tmath27 said:

Let's say you just have a G5 attitude indicator. For the GNC 255A to interface with that for LOC/GS, do you just need a RS232 interface cable? Also, can the GNC interface with both the G5 and another indicator, such as a KI-204 or KI-209 with a RS232 or do you need the GAD 29B for the KI and G5 to both function?

You need a GAD-29(B) with an airinc nav source. There is no way to interface it to an analog source.

13 hours ago, Tmath27 said:

G5 related: I have just installed one and I cannot adjust the "airplane" chevron during normal ops (ground or in flight). It has been configured and it works pretty much ok but sometime during flights I would like to adjust it like I was doing with the mechanical instrument. Is this normal?

13 minutes ago, FastTex said:

G5 related: I have just installed one and I cannot adjust the "airplane" chevron during normal ops (ground or in flight). It has been configured and it works pretty much ok but sometime during flights I would like to adjust it like I was doing with the mechanical instrument. Is this normal?

Yes that's normal.  It's also normal in the heavy iron.  You can use the configuration settings to adjust the pitch.  We did that so that it shows nose on the horizon at cruise and about 3 degrees nose high on the ground.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

Yes that's normal.  It's also normal in the heavy iron.  You can use the configuration settings to adjust the pitch.  We did that so that it shows nose on the horizon at cruise and about 3 degrees nose high on the ground.

There’s a leveling procedure in the install manual to set it, but otherwise it’s not adjustable... unless you go into the setup mode and adjust what they did or didn’t do during installation.

In some of the early software versions for the G5 I recall it was adjustable in flight.  That functionality was removed in later versions. The experimental versions still have it adjustable.  You can adjust the pitch offset within the config settings, but this should be done based on measurement or calculation IAW the STC installation manual.   The chevron should not be adjusted such that you’re zero degrees in cruise.  It should be adjusted during the calibration based on the aircraft manufacturer level line / references. 

sometimes I cruise and my nose is 1-2 degrees nose down. That is normal.  It’s just not noticeable on the old vacuum gyros. Backup AHRS (ie I have one in a hard mounted GDL 52R), show the same 1-2 degree nose down in cruise.  You want to avoid your primary and backup references disagreeing.  They should all show the same information. Vacuum gyros have an adjustable chevron for removal of parallex error, not for resetting a level line once in cruise.  

My reference line measures 2.5 degree nose up on the ground, FWIW.  I believe most of not all  of our moooneys have a level reference as the rivet line above the empennage/ battery access panel.  

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/26/2020 at 2:56 PM, Tmath27 said:

carusoam nope just what I use for my username. I have just the attitude indicator so maybe it's best to get the RS232 and remove the KI-206.

I have a G5 installed.  Its important to have all the information when someone says 'yeah it should work.' 

My G5 is installed with pitot/static and is cabled to a GNS430W via RS-232 with the data from the GPS configured as MAPMX (as specifified).  I do not get a glide slope and I believe it is not available in the MAPMX protocol.  I do get lateral deviation for both LOC and LNAV.

The 430w outputs analog LOC and GS signals which connected to your KI-206.   The 430w outputs an ARINC 429 data bus (digital differential, kinda like RS-422 but with a 32 bit word size) that has digital words for LOC and GS.  In order to get this to the G5 you must have the GAD29B to input the ARINC bus and supply the data to the G5.  If you add the magnetometer then your G5 ADI can show you heading instead of just track.

So don't de-install the KI-206 yet.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...