Was this 231 flown enough?

pwnel

10 hours ago, pwnel said:

PS @carusoam panel is 2x Garmin 480, MX20 and Stec 55X.  Nice setup and a big selling point for IF.  (I'm kind of sensitive to talk too much about this plane - don't want to negatively affect or offend the seller with my Mooney newbie open forum questions.)  My IF training was all on G1000 and around New York airspace (KCDW) so I'm comfortable with TAA, busy airspace etc.  If I do ferry that plane back it will be over at least two days, not above 14000ft and in VFR though.

If there is an engine monitor in the panel I would download the data and have a look at how the engine was operated. Look specifically at CHTs and TIT. Sharing the data here would be wise as well; there's a lot of knowledge here that will help you interpret the data. Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Having that happen in the Bahamas would be dismal, that’s true.  The biggest problem I have run into in the 231’s as far as the engine is concerned is the invisible one that I mentioned, there is no good way to know how the last pilot(s) flew the engine.  With a max CHT of 460, a TIT of 1650, and POH cruise settings with fuel flow in the 12’s, it is no surprise many did not make it past 1200 without a top.  Hard to know if that is what the last guy did, or if he had some common sense.  EDM data would certainly help.  On the panel though, it is not a matter of being fancy.  Quite alot of panels out there where the tech is so old the panel is a negative on the aircraft value. 

BTW one thing to look for in a 231 is how old the alternator coupler is.  That thing can be a major pain.  The problem I ran into is that there are some replacement parts sources that are just no good.  I replaced three in a couple of hundred hours, the last one had not been on the engine more than 10 hours.  We finally wound up going to Mooney and got a coupler that has worked flawlessly now for a couple of hundred hours.  Lost the coupler, lose the whole panel, everything, including the engine gauges.

3 hours ago, M20Doc said:

If you’re worried about internal engine corrosion, have all of the valve lifters pulled out during PPI, it’s fairly easy on a Continental engine.  Pull the rocker covers,  rocker arms, push rods, push rod tubes and then the lifters, Continental has an SB covering condition inspection of the lifters and cam lobes.

Clarence

Well said. I would consider this mandatory on an engine these days. It’s gonna cost you 50k or more to get stuck with an overhaul. At least on contientals you can replace the lifters if they aren’t too bad and save the cam, and thus, an early overhaul. 

18 hours ago, pwnel said:

Insurance needs 5 hours dual with a Mooney instructor so I should be well briefed by then. ~300hr PPL+IF pilot, been flying for 11 years

Might be enough, might not. I've done three pilot transitions into 231/252s in the last year. One was ready to go after an hour, another wasn't ready for close to 10 hours and a third was pretty close to 15 hours before he was ready. All three had more experience than you quote. So the answer is, it depends (quoting Old Bob).