Door not opening gonna need a can opener

It was bound to happen and I knew it but I procrastinated and now the door is closed and I can't get it open.  I've got no idea how to get the panel off if the door is totally closed.  Do I just wreck the panel and build a new one?  I'm sure it is a simple fix but you have to get access to it.  Any ideas before I go medieval on it? 

Just now, Yetti said:

cabin door?    I would go in through the baggage and then cut a strategically placed hole in the panel and then open door and cover hole with leather...

Yes cabin door.  Tried pulling the hinge pins but started to bend them..  Think I'll have to cut and paste.

Joe,

Are you safely outside the plane, stuck inside the plane, or need emergency assistance?

a small screw driver can usually allow removal of the interior panels covering both  doors.

The baggage door’s original covering is only held on with spring fasteners...

what to do once the cover is removed might be the next challenge...

got tools? 

If going medieval, select one of the lower cost easy to replace windows...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic.  checking in with a mechanic may be a good idea if able.

Best regards,

-a-

56 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Joe,

Are you safely outside the plane, stuck inside the plane, or need emergency assistance?

a small screw driver can usually allow removal of the interior panels covering both  doors.

The baggage door’s original covering is only held on with spring fasteners...

what to do once the cover is removed might be the next challenge...

got tools? 

If going medieval, select one of the lower cost easy to replace windows...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic.  checking in with a mechanic may be a good idea if able.

Best regards,

-a-

I'm outside landed and safe maybe not in that order.  I closed the door and pushed back into the hanger.  went to get my flight bag and the handle moves the door didn't open.  it feels like the handle is not connected till a point then it meets a large resistance.  I am thinking the key lock that was loose turned.  but the keys are just rotating the cy6linder.  I need a new interior anyway might have to talk the wife into getting her sewing machine out.  

• Like 1

Funny, I got locked in a week ago when I landed after my annual. Somehow the lock was stuck at the 45 degree point. My wife was picking me up and parked as i shut down. Good for a laugh, I just handed her the keys through the pilot side window and she was able to unlock it for me. Still a little puzzled how I could have previously removed the key if it wasn't fully rotated in either direction. 

Funny, I got locked in a week ago when I landed after my annual. Somehow the lock was stuck at the 45 degree point. My wife was picking me up and parked as i shut down. Good for a laugh, I just handed her the keys through the pilot side window and she was able to unlock it for me. Still a little puzzled how I could have previously removed the key if it wasn't fully rotated in either direction. 

Your lock is worn out and needs replacing. It’s only going to get worse with time. The worn mechanism is rotating in flight from vibration. You can replace with same cheap Chicago cabinet locks or go with better Medco locks - discussed here in other threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I"M IN!!!!!  Mooney has nothing on this safe cracker!  The stupid lock bar was in the way of the handle.   What I did if this could help anyone else is, I put the key in the lock and started at the 12 O'clock position and kept turning and trying the handle at every hour position and after three or four tries the door handle moved all the way to the right releasing the pin in the frame.  Now to fix this.  Looks like I'll need to get a lock cylinder.  Might have to put remote door locks and an auto start in this bird.  It's funny how simple technology can really tax the mind when you CAN"T SEE IT!  LOL  Anyway thank you for the responses!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Is it a handle problem, a pair of vice grips can work in a pinch?

I see that wasn't the issue for the OP, but I keep a set of vice grips in the little tool kit in the baggage area after reading stories of inside handles breaking off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

I see that wasn't the issue for the OP, but I keep a set of vice grips in the little tool kit in the baggage area after reading stories of inside handles breaking off.

Happened to me, in the same IFR training flight as a total electrical failure. Fortunately someone was at the airport within sight, I stuck my hat out the storm window and waved to get their attention . . . The handle cracked and the roll pin fell out.  :o  I do have a toolkit in the back with a Leatherman tool, needlenose and Robogrip pliers. Not so easy to access with two pilots up front.

1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

I use to own a Swift.. had to keep a pair of vice grips in the plane in the event that the pin holding the gear handle in place (basically a hydraulic selector valve with a handle shaped as a flap.. btw.. flap handle was a selector valve shaped like a wheel, but that’s another story) sheared off that would be the only way to get the gear down.  Fortunately I never had to test that theory.  

6 hours ago, Piloto said:

I had the same problem in Pittsburgh at 8F last Xmas. Sprayed WD-40 with the nozzle into seal and after 5 minutes the door opened. A tip from one of the locals is to spray WD-40 all around the seal before flight or just before winter.

José

If you get locked in you have a distinct advantage over everyone else 

What a timely thread!  Just two days ago my door started giving me fits.  

It has always needed a gentle touch and a very specific sequence to open.  But once I had that figured out, it never gave me any trouble...until now.  For seemingly no reason, it started acting up two days ago.

I worked on it a while and it seems like the pin is sticking out further than it used to in its "at rest" position.  It is getting caught/hung on the edge of the door frame and keeping the door from opening from the latched position, as well as closing fully from the open position.  Pulling the handle back hard (feels like too much pressure to me) and giving the door a good shove at the same time opens it (again, too much for my taste).  And the opposite process closes it.  But way more force is needed than before, both in terms of the handle pull tension and the push to open/close motion.

I'm wondering if the process that worked for  @Dream to fly might work for me as well.  I'll be flying later today so I'll try that approach.  What really hurts is that in the process of opening the door the first time after it became difficult, I cracked my newly repaired and repainted door panel :(