Aspen Evolution 5?

N6758N

I used to work for IBM, with that in mind:

Remember the PC IBM developed was an open architecture and IBM ended getting destroyed by Dell, Micron, Gateway....may have been good for customers, but not the company.

PC group lost it’s executive in a plane crash at Dallas (TS with a microburst), it had the Silicon Valley mentality, other executives looked down on the group, without him they floundered.

Proprietary interfaces speed up testing (certification) because you don’t have to worry about 3rd party hardware. This the theory behind G1000, give them everything in one package, will be less than the sum of the parts. Unfortunately if new technology develops (ADSB), it’s hard to integrate it in.

It’s nice to have options, but unfortunately the aviation market is small.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Ok here goes for all of you......  first point.

the one thing that history has taught us is that we dont learn from history.  

History has taught the IT industry that closed technology and connectivity limits development.  IBM, Microsoft and apple are good examples of this.   

The way to make sure you dont get caught in the trap is to look closely at what the products can connect to, for example, will they connect to your legacy King VOR indicator, or do you need theirs to connect to, etc.  If it uses its own proprietary connectivity system or "promises you everything" in future releases then you know NOT to buy it.  A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  Also remember this, as i said before its all software now so the golden rule applies...

whats the differnce between a software salesman and a second hand car salesman?  The car salesman knows he is talking bullshit.  

Peter, you are a dentist and from what i understand not too bad at it either.  I have 30 years experience dealing with software, and IT infrastructure and am also not too bad at it either.  Hence im trying to help everyone here when they are buying this stuff that they dont get trapped.  IBM used to stand for Ive Been Mugged, ! 

History has taught us that your theories don’t apply here. How is IBM a closed system? Can you still buy an IBM PC? Ever heard of IBM compatibles? And how does Apple limit development? On the contrary they continue to develop superior products and like Garmin, are extremely successful leaders.

What exactly is your problem with Garmin? What is it you don’t like and please be very specific.

Aspen and Avidyne have failed to learn from the Garmin model. As I said earlier the only ones that I see actually moving in that correct direction is Dynon.

• Like 1

Ok here goes for all of you......  first point.

the one thing that history has taught us is that we dont learn from history.  

History has taught the IT industry that closed technology and connectivity limits development.  IBM, Microsoft and apple are good examples of this.   

The way to make sure you dont get caught in the trap is to look closely at what the products can connect to, for example, will they connect to your legacy King VOR indicator, or do you need theirs to connect to, etc.  If it uses its own proprietary connectivity system or "promises you everything" in future releases then you know NOT to buy it.  A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  Also remember this, as i said before its all software now so the golden rule applies...

whats the differnce between a software salesman and a second hand car salesman?  The car salesman knows he is talking bullshit.  

Peter, you are a dentist and from what i understand not too bad at it either.  I have 30 years experience dealing with software, and IT infrastructure and am also not too bad at it either.  Hence im trying to help everyone here when they are buying this stuff that they dont get trapped.  IBM used to stand for Ive Been Mugged, ! 

airplane electronics are such a different world though, because of the inertia built into he certification process.  Otherwise in no other possible world would a 15 year old GNS430W fetch 80% if the price of a brand new IDF440.

5 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Who mentioned PCs, i didnt, i mentioned IBM, mainframes that only connected to their DASD, token ring network systems that while,far superior to ethernet did not connect to anything except token ring.  Apple systems architecture is a Closed system, it is not sold to anyone in raw code form AT ALL, thus it is a closed system.  GARMIN is exactly the same, they do not sell or publish in a public forum their code so that it can be used to develop new compatible products.  Is that specific enough for you. I could go into great technical detail, but i think you should be able to get the gyst.

When Garmin sell a product that interfaces straight out of the box and at first launch with the majority of the legacy and competitor stuff out there etc, then ill look,st them, but right you are paying a premium to be locked into thier techinical architecture and i wont go that route.  

As for your comment about History has taught us my theories dont apply here, , then look at G1000 and ill bet your country im right.  Why cant you upgrade your g1000 to a G1000 NXI because even in their own products they have locked out the architecture

If I were you I wouldn’t buy any Garmin or Apple for that matter. They are closed systems. You’re better off with Aspen or Avidyne. What’s that Aspen GPS Nav/Comm box again? How about that Avidyne ADSB in and out transponder? And didn’t Aspen have a GPS aviation portable receiver?

I don’t like feeding the 800 pound gorilla but you know I bought my first Apple Computer in 2005 and It just simply works. It doesn’t break it doesn’t crash.  Much like Garmin stuff,, it works it never breaks, and sells for top dollar several years later.  Had you bought a GNS430W, 12 years ago you can get 3/4 the price you bought it for right now. Indicator too. Same wirh the CNX80. The SL30. All that stuff. And that makes the newest Garmin box much cheaper. Over its lifecycle it’s cheaper to own because it takes less repairs and it has high resale value. I just sold my 7 year old MacBook Air 12” for 500$. I bought a used MacBook 12” a year old, for 900$. Amazing, really. 

• Like 2

I don’t like feeding the 800 pound gorilla but you know I bought my first Apple Computer in 2005 and It just simply works. It doesn’t break it doesn’t crash.  Much like Garmin stuff,, it works it never breaks, and sells for top dollar several years later.  Had you bought a GNS430W, 12 years ago you can get 3/4 the price you bought it for right now. Indicator too. Same wirh the CNX80. The SL30. All that stuff. And that makes the newest Garmin box much cheaper. Over its lifecycle it’s cheaper to own because it takes less repairs and it has high resale value. I just sold my 7 year old MacBook Air 12” for 500$. I bought a used MacBook 12” a year old, for 900$. Amazing, really. 

You don’t need to worry about the 800 pound gorilla. When it comes to laptop sales, Apple is more like a 100 pound gorilla.

085d34ec9f839dea668d677d09d10bb4.jpg

And although they are the single largest tablet provider, they are leading the pack in the declining tablet market. What’s taking over? Detachable laptops like the Microsoft Surface and new offerings from the market leaders in the laptop arena.

b9e3899d33e2f9bbe2303772e45215f8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Peter, you can take a horse to water....

Your analogy doesn't support your argument. The horse will drink only when it's thirsty and has water. If it's thirsty but has no water to drink it will look elsewhere.

While catching up on this thread...

Email just popped up,  Apple wanted me to know....  https://www.apple.com/apple-watch-series-3/?cid=&cp=em-P0018555-396494&sr=em&Email_PageName=P0018555-396494&Email_OID=6de3ae1a7072bcb9a32eee71d9ff511b89494dd205fe15a4e8871780506ff909

The Apple system is both very closed, yet very open... Hardware is very controlled, but App development/sales is very open.

Would pure water include or exclude deuterium and tritium?  Naturally occurring levels of heavy water... pressure 

Looking forward to the reports from SnF!

Best regards,

-a-

13 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Dont forget my quote earlier about car salesmen.  Unless they can SHOW you it working then its vapourware.  

In an aircraft without "experimental" on the side and with the appropriate paperwork to install it in your make and model.

12 hours ago, carusoam said:

To be fair, it was not Apple that invented the wearable phone :P

250px-DonAdams.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 4/9/2018 at 1:54 AM, Marauder said:

You don’t need to worry about the 800 pound gorilla. When it comes to laptop sales, Apple is more like a 100 pound gorilla.

085d34ec9f839dea668d677d09d10bb4.jpg

And although they are the single largest tablet provider, they are leading the pack in the declining tablet market. What’s taking over? Detachable laptops like the Microsoft Surface and new offerings from the market leaders in the laptop arena.

b9e3899d33e2f9bbe2303772e45215f8.jpg

all interesting facts, but I doubt I am going to be using a Microsoft surface tablet running foreflight more often than an ipad in the cockpit. 

• Like 1

all interesting facts, but I doubt I am going to be using a Microsoft surface tablet running foreflight more often than an ipad in the cockpit. 

You should check out the new Hp stuff. The new lightweight travel laptop is pretty darn close to an iPad when separated.

1 hour ago, jazztheglass said:

I used my Surface for a little while but it would overheat in the sun and shut down like I have heard iPads do. I switched to a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.0 which has never overheated and shut down, even in the middle of the summer with the sun beating in through the window. 

44 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I used my Surface for a little while but it would overheat in the sun and shut down

Surface Pro 3=worst computer/laptop/tablet I’ve used by far.  I made it about 3 months-very thankful to go to an HP laptop and the big iPad Pro  

Surface Book (laptop/convertible) for work, Apple iPhone/iPad for play, Garmin in the cockpit.

Generally what I have found - you get what you pay for. Unfortunately the market leaders know that, but competition is very much welcomed!

23 minutes ago, Kris_Adams said:

Surface Pro 3=worst computer/laptop/tablet I’ve used by far.  I made it about 3 months-very thankful to go to an HP laptop and the big iPad Pro  

Mine is just an old Surface 3 (no Pro) that I got for I think $500. It serves me well as a travel laptop, light and small, but no way it could be my every day machine. I have a very nice Asus Laptop that is my everyday computer.