Aspen Evolution 5?

N6758N

On 3/26/2018 at 7:43 PM, jamesm said:

funny thing is doesn't Aspen allow experimental builders to install them Home built's ?   But an A&P  can't installed in certified aircraft? sound like license to print money.

Garmin has the same approach, they didn't give me an RMA number for the repair of the SL30 in our M20C and I was told that a Garmin dealer had to remove the unit and sent it in for repair. On the other hand we didn't have any issues to get an RMA number for the SL30 from my wife's Long EZ.

I have seen lately quite a few used Aspen unit on the used market. What is the procedure for installation of a used unit?  

On 3/28/2018 at 3:12 PM, bradp said:

Dev - opposite is also true.  When you have a G5 as an HSI it can revert to a backup attitude indicator.  

Here’s the same unit in both modes.  Like Paul, this one is only hooked up to a GPS. 

2ED1002A-3EB7-4F9F-AEA9-3237335FEC96.jpeg

354B834E-B1AD-4C49-B70F-841DEBB1B32B.jpeg

Per the STC the above operation mode is not ok for the installed equipment. A G5 that is replacing the horizon is only allowed to be a PFD mode.

25 minutes ago, Stanton R said:

Per the STC the above operation mode is not ok for the installed equipment. A G5 that is replacing the horizon is only allowed to be a PFD mode.

Very true.  Point is that if you have the HSI (which is the exact same part as the PFD) it can revert to a backup PFD as well were the proverbial to hit the rapidly rotating.  Use of the G5 as a standby instrument is also prohibited by the STC.... but it’s function is not locked out by software ... and Garmin recommends plumbing both units to Pitot Static.  Hmmm. So I wouldn’t hesitate it use it for that purpose. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stanton R said:

Someone pipe in with interpretation here - but my understanding is - this is a perfectly legal use of the equipment in an emergency to use it and whatever else you may have at hand, as you find convenient and helpful in the case of an emergency such as an equipment failure.  SO if this equipment has accessible alternate functions beyond the STC primary use, and you want to use that mode if your certified equipment that is supposed to do that job fails, then PIC, by all means do as you wish.  emergency.

kinda like using an uncertified attitude indicator stuck to your panel with a piece of gum - whose going to say not to look at that thing if you primary and your certified backup both go belly up.  I use bubble-yum - pink.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 2

On 3/29/2018 at 9:21 AM, Schinderhannes said:

I have seen lately quite a few used Aspen unit on the used market. What is the procedure for installation of a used unit?  

I bought my Aspen PFD Pro off of Barnstormers. I then bought an EA100, flush mount kit, and a couple of cables from Aspen to complete the install. It was all installed by an Avionics shop. 

No issues and it works great. I recently bought the AOA unlock when Aspen had them on sale. Again, no issues with my second hand PFD. 

I never pay retail if I don't have to. And don't see any reason to buy a new Aspen when there are used ones to be had.

• Like 4

... And there's not need for an 8130 for Part 91 for used avionics,  although some avionics shops that are repair stations will insist on one for tracing purposes and/or to make sure that they are not held accountable for a bum unit.  

I can’t wait for the release of the Aspen E5.  I think this is a better option than a pair of G5’s for my situation, at least.  My VOR/LOC/GS CDI is in need of overhaul.  The Garmin G5 HSI doesn’t display glideslope guidance (hence HSI).  Furthermore, I don’t believe the G5 configured as an HSI will accept VOR/LOC input from anything other than a Garmin navigator.  I have a GPS 400, which is just the GPS portion of the GNS 430.  The Aspen will accept vor/loc/Gs input from a KX-155 for example, and according to what I know about other Aspen displays, many other sources as well.   From what I’ve read, the Aspen E5 should be an STC installation, meaning an AI can install it.  If anyone knows anything contrary to this, please advise.

Edited by TimM20F
  • Like 5

I'm also on the G5/E5 fence.  I have a G5 in my cessna 340 and love it.  It is on the right side.  I replaced the attitude indicator that failed on that side and my FO (wife) toggles it back and forth without issue but mainly keeps it is AI mode.  I am considering twin G5 vs E5 for the left side as well as for our Mooney.  Two reasons I am leaning Garmin's way at present is my satisfaction with this one unit plus the prospect of adding Garmin autopilots to each of the planes.  I feel confident that the G5 will "talk" seamlessly to the new GFC 500 and 600 autopilots.  Maybe the Aspen will as well, any thoughts?

Also as far as install costs, the G5 in my Cessna 340 was $2449 parts, $1900 labor

2 hours ago, jazztheglass said:

I'm also on the G5/E5 fence.  I have a G5 in my cessna 340 and love it.  It is on the right side.  I replaced the attitude indicator that failed on that side and my FO (wife) toggles it back and forth without issue but mainly keeps it is AI mode.  I am considering twin G5 vs E5 for the left side as well as for our Mooney.  Two reasons I am leaning Garmin's way at present is my satisfaction with this one unit plus the prospect of adding Garmin autopilots to each of the planes.  I feel confident that the G5 will "talk" seamlessly to the new GFC 500 and 600 autopilots.  Maybe the Aspen will as well, any thoughts?

Also as far as install costs, the G5 in my Cessna 340 was $2449 parts, $1900 labor

It's hard to say what Garmin will do with the interfacing with other vendors when the GFC comes out. It is in their own best interest to pursue the interface otherwise guys like me will head down the alternatives path. When the GTX-345 came out, there was talking of interfacing to the Aspen products. Had they moved faster with Aspen, people like me might have considered the 345 over the L-3 9000. 

I'm just happy that there is more than one pony in this autopilot race. Owning and being satisfied with my STEC 60-2, I was really disappointed to find out the "upgrade" to the STEC 3100 was more expensive than the Garmin, Trutrak, and others. Had they been priced competitively, I would consider it. My only consideration for upgrading my STEC is for constant airspeed climbs and altitude pre-select. 

I think at the end of the day, they will all integrate. It is just a question of when.

5 hours ago, TimM20F said:

The Garmin G5 HSI doesn’t display glideslope guidance (hence HSI).  

I don't have one, but I don't think this the case.  Their website says it displays vertical guidance (LPV and ILS) and the picture shows it like this:

IMG_1214.JPG

• Like 1

17 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Someone pipe in with interpretation here - but my understanding is - this is a perfectly legal use of the equipment in an emergency to use it and whatever else you may have at hand, as you find convenient and helpful in the case of an emergency such as an equipment failure.  SO if this equipment has accessible alternate functions beyond the STC primary use, and you want to use that mode if your certified equipment that is supposed to do that job fails, then PIC, by all means do as you wish.  emergency.

kinda like using an uncertified attitude indicator stuck to your panel with a piece of gum - whose going to say not to look at that thing if you primary and your certified backup both go belly up.  I use bubble-yum - pink.

I agree with you, however if you set a G5 AI according to the STC manual the HSI display is supposed to be disabled. 

24 minutes ago, Stanton R said:

I agree with you, however if you set a G5 AI according to the STC manual the HSI display is supposed to be disabled. 

I wouldn't know about that.  Maybe disabled means the switch is turned off but you have access to the switch from the pilot's seat in flight?

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:10 AM, Andy95W said:

I don't have one, but I don't think this the case.  Their website says it displays vertical guidance (LPV and ILS) and the picture shows it like this:

IMG_1214.JPG

Andy,

Thanks for clarifying this for me!  I couldn't find anything on their site about GS on the G5.  However,  I should have been more specific in my post.  The G5, to my knowledge, will not display GS info from anything other than a GNS or GTN series.  The Aspen will accept GS input from older equipment, like my KX-155,  which makes it work for me.  I'm on the fence about just adding a GTN650 and then I could use the G5's.  I so still like the Aspen better.   But I think I would need to replace the sheet metal on the pilot side of my 1968 M20F to get the Aspen to fit.  I wish Garmin, like Apple, wasn't becoming so proprietary in their products.  As an example, I have the GDL 52 portable ADSB/Sirius XM/ADHRS receiver.  It is amazing but only works with Garmin portables  and the Garmin Pilot App.  You'd think a more open architecture would sell more products.

• Like 4