Aspen Evolution 5?

N6758N

19 minutes ago, PTK said:

I'm unable to find anything on this. Anyone have any info?

According to follow up posts on the BT thread Aspen took down the link. The discussion reflects disappointment that the announcement was really about a rebranding of the VFR version of the PDF (to compete with G5?) and not a better box.  

On 3/21/2018 at 9:02 AM, Bob_Belville said:

According to follow up posts on the BT thread Aspen took down the link. The discussion reflects disappointment that the announcement was really about a rebranding of the VFR version of the PDF (to compete with G5?) and not a better box.  

https://aspenavionics.com/products/general-aviation/evolution-e5-primary-flight-display

http://www.aviationpros.com/press_release/12404967/aspen-avionics-unveils-evolution-e5-dual-electronic-flight-instrument

There's limited info here but supposedly better glass and processor, non-TSO but STC'd, with autopilot integration including with Trutrak, all inside exact same box.  It seems like everything one would want as a better alternative to dual Garmins besides an HSI, which is a bizarre omission though it does display a CDI and glideslope around the AI.  Apparently it can be upgraded to an HSI and all the options available on the PFD1000.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, DXB said:

https://aspenavionics.com/products/general-aviation/evolution-e5-primary-flight-display

http://www.aviationpros.com/press_release/12404967/aspen-avionics-unveils-evolution-e5-dual-electronic-flight-instrument

There's limited info here but supposedly better glass and processor, non-TSO but STC'd, with autopilot integration including with Trutrak, all inside exact same box.  It seems like everything one would want as a better alternative to dual Garmins besides an HSI, which is a bizarre omission though it does display a CDI and glideslope around the AI.  Apparently it can be upgraded to an HSI and all the options available on the PFD1000.

It's clearly targeting the G5 attack on them. The second article you posted said it can be made into a TSOd PFD. At $4,995 MSRP, you can probably pick one up around $4k. Since all this stuff can be upgraded by firmware, I wouldn't be surprised to see an HSI upgrade option at some point.

• Like 1

Will Aspen allow and A&P to install it ?  that is reason  one of the reason I went with the  Dual Garmin G5's  I saved money installing it myself then an outfit on on the field do the pitot static check. So the pricing they claim  is missing leading to me.

Also the older Apsen's  needed a External GPS source meaning I would have to buy an Panel mount GPS which was another $10k to $18k installed and I couldn't install it. So I my case would probably $18k minimum  out the door + another  $500-$2000k or so for hidden cost that wasn't in the bid.

35 minutes ago, jamesm said:

Will Aspen allow and A&P to install it ?  that is reason  one of the reason I went with the  Dual Garmin G5's  I saved money installing it myself then an outfit on on the field do the pitot static check. So the pricing they claim  is missing leading to me.

Also the older Apsen's  needed a External GPS source meaning I would have to buy an Panel mount GPS which was another $10k to $18k installed and I couldn't install it. So I my case would probably $18k minimum  out the door + another  $500-$2000k or so for hidden cost that wasn't in the bid.

I was at some aviation show about a year ago and Aspen was there. I asked the sales guy f I could buy it and install it myself. He said no way. I walked away and he asked what the problem was and I said it had no value to me. I wasn't going to pay someone else to install it so there was no way I could buy it.

• Like 4

Can someone cut thru the fog here?  I have an Avidyne 440.  To install an Aspen unit into my M20J, hook it up to my GPS, and use it as the primary AI/EHSI still costs like $11,000 plus labor.  I can install a G5 as the primary AI for $2,500+.  If and when Garmin allows the G5 to interface to other units, I could use a second G5 as the HSI/CDI, although I would have to keep my DG to drive the Brittain autopilot.

So in a way, this is a big nothing-burger?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, markejackson02 said:

Can someone cut thru the fog here?  I have an Avidyne 440.  To install an Aspen unit into my M20J, hook it up to my GPS, and use it as the primary AI/EHSI still costs like $11,000 plus labor.  I can install a G5 as the primary AI for $2,500+.  If and when Garmin allows the G5 to interface to other units, I could use a second G5 as the HSI/CDI, although I would have to keep my DG to drive the Brittain autopilot.

So in a way, this is a big nothing-burger?

Installed prices for dual G5’s are in the $8500 range. For the aspen pro 1000 you are in the $9,500 to $10,500 range installed. The evolution 5 is probably costing the dealer ~800-1k less than dual g5’s and will probably be the same cost or less for the install. I could easily see installed cost for the aspen unit being less than the G5’s unless you install them yourself. It would be far less than doing two separate installs of the G5 (AI and later the hsi). 

Is it worth the extra $2k to buy a evolution 5 vs a single G5?  Only you can answer that. 

41 minutes ago, markejackson02 said:

If and when Garmin allows the G5 to interface to other units, I could use a second G5 as the HSI/CDI, although I would have to keep my DG to drive the Brittain autopilot.

These are the issues for me.

Having an HSI/CDI in the panel is nice, but having to keep the legacy DG to drive the autopilot negates the benefit. And then there is the "if and when".

I have both an Aspen Pro 1000 and a Garmin G5 in my panel. I can flip the G5 back and forth between the AI and HSI screens. Having them next to each other in the panel, it's like looking at a $10,000 unit and a $2500 unit. There is just no comparison. 

Starting with the E5, getting it installed, and then at a later date with no further install charge, being able to upgrade to a full Pro 1000, is a nice option and a way of getting into glass without the huge upfront cost.

• Like 3

Okay, so basically this is the Pro without the magnetometer and without the ability to display the GPS path/traffic/SV.  That makes a lot more sense.

Aspen needs to clean up their web site.  Much of the model comparison data is contradictory and points to old data sheets.

I find it amusing that in my old plane I installed a TSO'd 1000 Pro and had to keep the vacuum AI while now we can install a non-TSO unit and pitch the entire vacuum system.

10 minutes ago, markejackson02 said:

Okay, so basically this is the Pro without the magnetometer and without the ability to display the GPS path/traffic/SV.  That makes a lot more sense.

Aspen needs to clean up their web site.  Much of the model comparison data is contradictory and points to old data sheets.

I find it amusing that in my old plane I installed a TSO'd 1000 Pro and had to keep the vacuum AI while now we can install a non-TSO unit and pitch the entire vacuum system.

It will have the RSM (magnetometer) but not the ACU and the HSI is turned off via software. 

So let’s say you want to upgrade an Aspen 5 to a 1000 pro- that’s plus minus the ACU, the software unlock, and the labor to presumably wire the ACU and the E5 to your navigator. 

Seems like the upgrade is a bit more than a software unlock. 

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

I can flip the G5 back and forth between the AI and HSI screens. Having them next to each other in the panel, it's like looking at a $10,000 unit and a $2500 unit.

Huh - I never realized a single G5 AI install could be toggled to the HSI mode?  I thought only the HSI on a dual garmin install could change to an AI. 

7 minutes ago, DXB said:

Huh - I never realized a single G5 AI install could be toggled to the HSI mode?  I thought only the HSI on a dual garmin install could change to an AI. 

All I know is that mine toggles back and forth just fine. Of course the HSI isn't hooked up to anything so is pretty useless but it works as a DG.

I'll get some pictures/video of it next time I'm in the plane.

So let’s say you want to upgrade an Aspen 5 to a 1000 pro- that’s plus minus the ACU, the software unlock, and the labor to presumably wire the ACU and the E5 to your navigator. 

I would check what is included with this unit. They don’t mention the ACU being included with the Aspen 1000 but it is. The specifications show GPSS capability but how can they offer that without the ACU which is needed to control the AP and also to interface with the analog radios?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, bradp said:

No reason to add the ACU unless you need it. Not necessary when combining the aspen with a newer gps (430/530 waas or non waas, 440/540, 650/750) or a newer digital AP. The only reason to add the ACU is if you are integrating older equipment in which case you would install and utilize with the evolution 5 during the initial installation. 

You must be in the Mooney hover mode,  zero airspeed, 1120 feet altitude, nose high and zero vertical speed and running very efficient just like the Mooney always does. :blink::lol::D

I've been wanting to add that option to my Mooney but I hear it's about a 4kAMU mod if you want it keep similar TAS numbers.:o

• Haha 1