GNS Supported Timeframe

Seth

instead of thread drift in the Avendyne marketing methods thread, I too got the email regarding the soon to be unsupported Garmin GNS units.

I actually responded to the sender of the email asking his personal thoughts on when Garmin would stop supporting the GNS units seeing that the GNS 530W stopped production in late 2011 and the GNS 430W in 2012.  

His response was well thought out, not too salesy (though I understand his point) and his suggested time frames were sooner (of course) than others I've spoken to think.

I do have a 430W.  An early one that's a 28 volt unit.  Upgraded to WAAS in the mid 2000s.  

I did install a Garmin GTX 345 as the basis of upgrading my panel over time.  When the time does come to replace my GPS unit, it will most likely be a GTN750 or whatever is available at that time that makes sense.

The flat repair rate for a 430W is still $1200 which if something malfunctions with mine is still a bargain for the capability.

Question for all:  In your opinion, and from conversations, information you have, hearsay, gut feeling, etc  . . .  when do you expect Garmin to truly stop supporting the GNS lineup? 

-Seth

I assume they stopped production of parts along with the units. And any trade ins are being cannibalized to serve as parts, once these are gone, that’s it. Which is why I would not install a used 430W/530W.
If all I wanted was a WAAS GPS, I’d go Avidyne, if tearing up the panel for other work...GTN.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

If all I wanted was a WAAS GPS, I’d go Avidyne, if tearing up the panel for other work...GTN.

Close to my thought for my avionics as well. My stack currently has a GNS 430W under the MX 20. The 430W/IFD 440 swap is an easy one.

The MX 20 to either the IFD 5XX or GTN 750 would require some additional work. But as someone noted in another thread, the IFD 5XX is about 0.4" shorter, so I would end up removing the MX 20 and have to do something to fill the gap. To put in the 750, I would essentially need to layout the center stack from scratch.

To answer Seth's question: when they have a sure fire transition plan to not lose a major portion of their currently installed base. IMHO, ending support for the GNS line at this point with the only Garmin option being the 650/750 line, I believe they would drive more business to Avidyne than they would like.

Maybe if they had come out with a discount program to replace the MX 20/GNS 430 setup with a GTN 750 when it first came out, I might have considered it. But now I have choices.