Hub Eddy Current Testing Locations

Hello my fellow Birdmen, does anyone have a recommendation or previous experience with getting the Eddy Current AD done on the Hub of a 1975 M-20C. I fly out of Ashland Oregon (KS03) and into Brackett California (KPOC) regularly. I am not interested in flying to Texas or way out of the way spots. I figured I would ask here first, so as not to get taken to the cleaners! How long does it take to do? Do you have to remove from the aircraft? I will accept the cheap shots from my fellow Mooney drivers first (be gentle, I am a new Mooney fellow)...haha...yes I have asked my Mech and they do not do it at their facility...ugh

Thank you

Fly Smart,

Ryan

15 hours ago, R Van Dyck said:

How long does it take to do? Do you have to remove from the aircraft?

Thank you

Fly Smart,

Ryan

Ryan,

When I had my 67E the Eddy Current Inspection took less than 2 hours for the test and paperwork to be completed.  They only need to remove the spinner to accomplish the inspection.  I'd call and schedule it with LASAR since you are flying right by them.  Any number of shops along your route can get it done for you though. 

Cheers,

Brian

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2018 at 1:16 PM, flight2000 said:

Ryan,

When I had my 67E the Eddy Current Inspection took less than 2 hours for the test and paperwork to be completed.  They only need to remove the spinner to accomplish the inspection.  I'd call and schedule it with LASAR since you are flying right by them.  Any number of shops along your route can get it done for you though. 

Cheers,

Brian

Top Gun too. Stockton prop will do it on their ramp. 

-Robert

On 3/16/2018 at 3:02 PM, Yetti said:

I think you are looking for an NDT testing person that is ISO certified.   They are a dime a dozen around the oil patch.

Are you talking about using someone who doesn't normally work on planes?  Who will sign off the AD compliance in your log book?

Would they need to be a repair station to comply with the testing requirements?   Or be certified under industry standards.   It's more research than I want to do.   Other government agencies defer to industry

On 3/17/2018 at 3:00 AM, TheTurtle said:

I use http://www.aerohoff.com/

he comes to my hangar and does it.  Its $400 min fee for travel and a couple hours.  If you can get a few other guys there he'll do them as well.  Test takes about 15-20 minutes.  

Holy cow! My last one cost me $175. I did pull the prop off, but he came and picked it up from my hangar and dropped it back off again the next day. 

And yes, it was my LAST one! Yay!

6 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Would they need to be a repair station to comply with the testing requirements?   Or be certified under industry standards.   It's more research than I want to do.   Other government agencies defer to industry

The service bulletin contains this language:

"This inspection must be accomplished by qualified personnel at an appropriately licensed propeller repair facility or certificated aircraft mechanic with an eddy current qualification in accordance with Hartzell Standard Practices Manual 202A (61-01-02)."

Just in general I think you need some kind of FAA certificate to sign off on any maintenance.