Thinking about getting Boom Beam-mechanic has issues

epsalant

16 hours ago, Steve W said:

Well, one of AeroLEDs PAR46 replacement says 19,250 lumens and is 175 watts(and apparently also 28V only, which I guess would be a problem, looks like the 12/24v version is only 7700 lumens and 70 watts) compared to that light at 3645, but since neither gives a nice graph with beam width vs candlepower it's hard to say which would be 'brighter'.

I have an 1989 J which is 24V, so that would be no problem.

I agree pretty impressive specs.  http://aeroleds.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Datasheet_01-2230-4580_Sunspot-46-4580_RevA.pdf

I assume installation is no big deal if the cowling is already off for an oil change--something I could do while mechanic changes oil ???

But $765 !!! Wow !

17 hours ago, philiplane said:

there are no LED's that are remotely close to the light output of an HID, even the base 35 watt HID has 5 times the lumens of an LED. The HID has 2-3 times the depth penetration of the best LED. LED's are only better in taxi light applications for their wide beam spread. Which is also achievable in an HID by tuning the reflector/lamp combination. If you want to see the runway a mile away, or the deer at the end of a long runway, the HID is the only choice.

A properly installed HID will not present any service issues and will likely outlast the rest of the plane. I've done dozens of them.

We've had a XeVision 50W HID for 7 years now. It lights up the touchdown zone markings from 2 miles out.  Make a few fiberglass tabs on the inside of the cowl and route the cable away from the exhaust heat.  The cable snaps into the tabs.

IMG_6257.jpg

IMG_6258.jpg

Edited by jetdriven

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

We've had a XeVision 50W HID for 7 years now. It lights up the touchdown zone markings from 2 miles out.  Make a few fiberglass tabs on the inside of the cowl and route the cable away from the exhaust heat.

I waited a long time before going LED because they just didn't match up to the incandescent bulbs.  Then I saw the AeroLabs demo at Oshkosh last year and bought them on the spot so to say (SunSpot 4596 and 4587).  They are significantly better than the originals, although I might buy all 4596s instead of the 4587 taxi light.  The spread of the 4587s are much greater than the 4596s, but the 4596 does have greater range.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:56 AM, LANCECASPER said:

At a demo in the Aero Leds booth at Sun N Fun last year they showed the Parmetheus Plus vs. the Sunspot. Not even close - the Sunspot looked at least twice as bright as the Whelen. Some Mooneyspacers have bought the Whelens only to later go with the Sunspot. I'd be happy to pass on my Spruce discount - I get 10% off on the AeroLeds and 7% off of the Parmetheus Plus.

Any idea if the Aero LEDs will be discounted for Sun N Fun ? Were they last year ?  I'm thinking that's the route I want to go...

• 4 months later...
On 3/15/2018 at 1:58 PM, epsalant said:

I have been thinking about getting a Boom Beam landing light in my J for a long time.  I just feel I would like more light when I land, especially after rolling out, coming to a stop and seeing big ol' antlers 20 yards away at night !

My mechanic stated some concerns as he had REMOVED a Boom Beam from an unhappy Boom Beam owner many years ago and was wondering if these concerns are  valid.

1)  The connector for the lamp is not a secure snap on type – it is a push on and so the owners was having a problem with the connection frequently slipping out.

2) Less of an issue is the wire harness from the box to the lamp.  Whereas the original factory harness is embedded in the cowling and protected from exhaust heat, the new harness is not and so comes close to the exhaust at the lamp end.  This could be ameliorated with a fire sleeve.

Thoughts ?  Any pireps ?  Anyone have major problems.

Hi 

This is Curt LoPresti-LoPresti Aviation produces both HID lighting and owns a LED company named Illumivation. In terms of lumens per watt, nothing touches HIDs. LEDs are improving but still do not come close to the light output of HIDs, as a matter of fact most LED landing lights do not even match the light output of a standard aviation incandescent landing light. Illumivation has a  PAR 46 LED approved for the Mooney that produces 123,206 candela. I believe this is the most powerful LED PAR 46 approved landing light available. Our BoomBeam HID output is 344,586 candela. The Illumivation LED lists for $999. The BoomBeam lists for $1599. For an additional $600 you get also three times the light output. Both systems carry a 5000 hour/5 year warranty. We are on our fifth generation of BoomBeams and there have been many changes. The wiring and the connection of the wiring to the lamp is very positive. There is a light weight stainless steel box that provided a mounting tab for safety wiring of the wire to the lamp. We do use a high temperature wire. If the wire runs close to the exhaust fire sleeving would be a good idea.

• Like 1

After going all LEDs on my plane (thanks to the evil NotarPilot), I'm not spending another AMU on LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! 

Have we lost our minds?! I have flown night flights for 30+ years with as Peter Garmin would say "ancient technology". Was I a risk taker?! 

• Haha 1

The latest Aeroled Landing Light:

Par 36-4596: 100 Watts, 11,000 lumen, 150,000 candela, rated at 30,000 hours.  This has built in Wig-Wag at 1/2 the power, so I run mine all the time on Wig-Wag at 50 watts for visibility. Yes, they are expensive and also amazing lights.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

After going all LEDs on my plane (thanks to the evil NotarPilot), I'm not spending another AMU on LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! LIGHT BULBS!! 

Have we lost our minds?! I have flown night flights for 30+ years with as Peter Garmin would say "ancient technology". Was I a risk taker?! 

these fancy Orion 600s are difficult to fit on a J model.  theyre quite a bit larger

IMG_4179.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, McMooney said:

I just replaced the incandescent with the Parmetheus Plus par 46,  the new LED is FAR brighter than the incandescent it replaced.

To the OP - unless you want or need a new light right now, wait until Whelen re-releases the PAR46 Gen3 LED.  They're improving yet again the Gen3 design, and should have it ready by mid-December.

I've seen the latest generation of Boom Beam for light aircraft. Quite simply there are no LED's, certified or experimental, that come close. If you need a lot of light, that's the right option. 

Our Gulfstream G650ER came with 3 LED taxi lights. They seem to be a tenth the output of the replacement Boom Beam setup. Sure, I know it's not relevant to the above discussion, but there is no question when flying behind the different products. One stands apart, every time. 

Curt, you guys are awesome! Have been bragging on your HID Boom Beam to all my friends and on another thread! Have been running a competitor’s LED the Parmetheus +... that light can’t hold a candle to a Boom Beam (pun intended). Thanks for making a light to help me land at my dimly lit country Airport. Appreciate y’all! 

A0F5109F-3F10-467D-927D-6CFD344E6579.jpeg

38BAF25B-7E49-4894-96E5-AA7BDE25B4D4.jpeg

• Like 1