Thinking about getting Boom Beam-mechanic has issues

epsalant

I have been thinking about getting a Boom Beam landing light in my J for a long time.  I just feel I would like more light when I land, especially after rolling out, coming to a stop and seeing big ol' antlers 20 yards away at night !

My mechanic stated some concerns as he had REMOVED a Boom Beam from an unhappy Boom Beam owner many years ago and was wondering if these concerns are  valid.

1)  The connector for the lamp is not a secure snap on type – it is a push on and so the owners was having a problem with the connection frequently slipping out.

2) Less of an issue is the wire harness from the box to the lamp.  Whereas the original factory harness is embedded in the cowling and protected from exhaust heat, the new harness is not and so comes close to the exhaust at the lamp end.  This could be ameliorated with a fire sleeve.

Thoughts ?  Any pireps ?  Anyone have major problems.

The BoomBeam was a Lopresti product when Mr. Lopresti was still alive...

The Lopresti Company still exists, and still supports its products...

LED products have come so far so fast, they may have eclipsed the HID Technology...

You should be able to contact Lopresti for proper bits and pieces.  

http://www.loprestiaviation.com/boombeam-hid.html

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

The BoomBeam was a Lopresti product when Mr. Lopresti was still alive...
The Lopresti Company still exists, and still supports its products...
LED products have come so far so fast, they may have eclipsed the HID Technology...
You should be able to contact Lopresti for proper bits and pieces.  
http://www.loprestiaviation.com/boombeam-hid.html
Best regards,
-a-
I have spoken to them, but I suspect they are biased

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Great products back in the day.
The reason you don't hear of any being installed anymore is that LED technology has so far eclipsed HID, especially for the money and ease of installation.
My understanding is that HID is WAY brighter.

27 minutes ago, epsalant said:

My understanding is that HID is WAY brighter.

HID is much more useful for big focused lighting needs like spotlights and headlights, even if it is less efficient than LEDs.  Since the light from an HID is almost a point-source, it can be easily focused, shielded and directed by a reflector and lens.  If you look at the light spread from cars with HID's, the edges of the light pattern are very sharp, so you light up exactly what you want (the road) and not what you don't want (other drivers' eyes).  In terms of efficiency, though, I think it uses about 30-50% of the equivalent energy of incandescent bulbs, so still not very efficient.  In addition, I question whether a precise spot pattern is important with aircraft landing lights, since you pretty much just want to blast the area ahead of you, and have some filter off to sides for taxiing.  To put it in perspective, one of the biggest household uses of HID's has been aquarium lights, not for the spot shape, but simply because you couldn't pack enough LEDs in the space necessary.  Recently, it seems like there's been a sudden rapid shift to LEDs as they have become small enough to do so.

LEDs are bigger in size, so they are harder to focus and shape the spotlight.  Again, if you look at cars with LED projector headlights, the spot pattern has fuzzier edges (although not quite as fuzzy as incandescents because small lenses are easier to make than big reflectors).  LEDs generally use 10-20% of the energy of an equivalent incandescent, but the element size and heat are limiting factors.  I remember seeing a YouTube review about landing lights.  Looked like the brightest LEDs out there still can't match HID's, but it's probably they will do so in the future.

16 minutes ago, joegoersch said:

Anyone know anything about these ?  Look like much brighter than a lot of stuff out there...

https://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/63322

Well, one of AeroLEDs PAR46 replacement says 19,250 lumens and is 175 watts(and apparently also 28V only, which I guess would be a problem, looks like the 12/24v version is only 7700 lumens and 70 watts) compared to that light at 3645, but since neither gives a nice graph with beam width vs candlepower it's hard to say which would be 'brighter'.

@201er don't you have one of the aforementioned LED brands IIRC? 

I have a gen 1 Whelen LED.  Suits my needs.  Stays on 100% of the time the engine is running unless I'm trying not to blind a line guy.  

I honestly wish I had three of them. 

The second generation Whelen's seem to be preferred.  The technology is certainly advancing.  AERO led-s seem to be highly regarded as well.

Aviation Consumer probably needs to do an update on their head-to-head testing.

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

T

-a-

there are no LED's that are remotely close to the light output of an HID, even the base 35 watt HID has 5 times the lumens of an LED. The HID has 2-3 times the depth penetration of the best LED. LED's are only better in taxi light applications for their wide beam spread. Which is also achievable in an HID by tuning the reflector/lamp combination. If you want to see the runway a mile away, or the deer at the end of a long runway, the HID is the only choice.

A properly installed HID will not present any service issues and will likely outlast the rest of the plane. I've done dozens of them.

Edited by philiplane
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bradp said:

I have a gen 1 Whelen LED.  Suits my needs.  Stays on 100% of the time the engine is running unless I'm trying not to blind a line guy.  

I put in my Whelen Parmetheus just a few months before they came out with Gen 2. In the four years I've had it, I can remember turning it off twice--once during annual and once halfway through pitot static testing in my hangar, when it had been on almost an hour. I've measure good visibility of the landing zone at 1/2 mile.

• Like 1

I'm on the fence between the Parmetheus plus and the Aeroleds sunspot 46HX but having a tough time deciding. Considering strictly the two landing lights (i.e. ignoring the pulse feature of the sunspot) which one is the better landing light and why? 

7 hours ago, epsalant said:

I have spoken to them, but I suspect they are biasedemoji3.png

Clearly, they have ....

1) some technical challenges with the wiring and connections... something a knowledgable mechanic can handle.  But something an owner is going to have to watch...

2) Light output of the HID seems to still reign supreme at this time.

My response was intended to suggest a call to Lopresti to find out if they have solved the wiring and connection challenges since your mechanic has had these actual challenges already.

Lopresti may be biased, but they may also have updated bits and pieces for a modern installation...

Another fun fact for the new to Mooney crowd.... Lopresti was an engineer working at Mooney.  He worked on the aerodynamics projects that turned the M20F into the M20J.  That Lopresti.  Father of the curvy composite parts...

Unfortunately, Mr. Lopresti has passed. But, his corporation supports a lot of lights for various airplane manufacturers...

I would expect that if you want the Lopresti HID light, Lopresti the corporation, should have a method for proper installation.  It’s worth asking...

Do some investigating. The Lopresti kids were involved with the business.  So you might actually talk with somebody named Lopresti.

Otherwise, the Whelen lights are pretty useable.  Not too expensive.  And... are supported by a lighting company on an airport in CT, that also builds lights for police cars and ambulances and that kind of stuff...

Hope that helps...

-a-

5 hours ago, bradp said:

@201er don't you have one of the aforementioned LED brands IIRC? 

I honestly wish I had three of them. 

The second generation Whelen's seem to be preferred.  The technology is certainly advancing.  AERO led-s seem to be highly regarded as well.

No, I have same as you.

Since we are talking landing lights, let me update all of you on a problem we are having with a Whelen Parmetheus PAR 36 and 46. About  2 years ago we installed Whelen Parmetheus landing and/or taxi lights in 5 of our club planes.  A Piper Archer, Moooney M20J, Cessna 152, 172 and 182. Two of the 5 planes have developed cracks in the outer lens cover of the bulbs and one of the two is down to only 3 of the LED's actually illuminating.  I spoke with Whelen and they said to send the offending lights in for evaluation and possible replacement.  We feel confident they will replace them once they see the problems.  My question to this group would be, has anyone else had a problem with the lens cracking or losing output from any of the LED's individually or collectively?  

Tim

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

Clearly, they have ....

1) some technical challenges with the wiring and connections... something a knowledgable mechanic can handle.  But something an owner is going to have to watch...

2) Light output of the HID seems to still reign supreme at this time.

My response was intended to suggest a call to Lopresti to find out if they have solved the wiring and connection challenges since your mechanic has had these actual challenges already.

Lopresti may be biased, but they may also have updated bits and pieces for a modern installation...

Another fun fact for the new to Mooney crowd.... Lopresti was an engineer working at Mooney.  He worked on the aerodynamics projects that turned the M20F into the M20J.  That Lopresti.  Father of the curvy composite parts...

Unfortunately, Mr. Lopresti has passed. But, his corporation supports a lot of lights for various airplane manufacturers...

I would expect that if you want the Lopresti HID light, Lopresti the corporation, should have a method for proper installation.  It’s worth asking...

Do some investigating. The Lopresti kids were involved with the business.  So you might actually talk with somebody named Lopresti.

Otherwise, the Whelen lights are pretty useable.  Not too expensive.  And... are supported by a lighting company on an airport in CT, that also builds lights for police cars and ambulances and that kind of stuff...

Hope that helps...

-a-

Thanks for clearing that up !

15 hours ago, joegoersch said:

Anyone know anything about these ?  Look like much brighter than a lot of stuff out there...

https://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/63322

22852976_10155845893084640_3875146613392

22885945_10155845893009640_2207784480313

23915592_10155925553484640_9180864360339

23031442_10155848451589640_2664338704593

22852242_10155848451524640_1195753827387

22885821_10155848451479640_6652396977845

Mine is the Hyperspot/Spot Combo. I absolutely L-O-V-E it. IIRC I paid $250 for it. Its roughly 4300lm/200k candlepower/55W if I remember the stock sheet correctly. The brightest Whelen is 35W at 2600lm. And for comparison, the stock GE 250W lamp is 300k candlepower. In the few months I've had it,  its made other traffic spot me and call it out about 4-5 times. Keep in mind, its not PMA so the wings will fall off if you install it on your plane.

15 hours ago, Steve W said:

Well, one of AeroLEDs PAR46 replacement says 19,250 lumens and is 175 watts(and apparently also 28V only, which I guess would be a problem, looks like the 12/24v version is only 7700 lumens and 70 watts) compared to that light at 3645, but since neither gives a nice graph with beam width vs candlepower it's hard to say which would be 'brighter'.

In terms of brightness, Whelen < Rigid < AeroLEDS. Price is also in that same order. If you can swing the $600 price tag of the Sunspot 46LX, you will laugh at how much brighter it is than the Whelen. It is one of two PMA'ed PAR46's on the market that is brighter than the stock 300k candlepower 250W halogen we have from the factory. Any other LED will be less powerful (including mine).

11 hours ago, PTK said:

I'm on the fence between the Parmetheus plus and the Aeroleds sunspot 46HX but having a tough time deciding. Considering strictly the two landing lights (i.e. ignoring the pulse feature of the sunspot) which one is the better landing light and why? 

The AeroLEDs is about 4x brighter than the Parmetheus. Whelen is stuck in the past with the LEDs its utilizing. Both the Rigids and AeroLEDS use much higher-power diodes and better reflectors for MUCH better output. Frankly, as an LED junkie, the Parmetheus is a worthless light. Its not bright at all, much dimmer than stock. To keep the candlepower high, they've narrowed down the beam angle so you can't really see much. The *only* plus to it is you don't have to replace it every 25 hours and you can keep it on all the time. Its the exact same light Whelen markets for Public Safety and our Sheriff's Office uses them on their Crown Vics as a spotlight and its not much to write home about, and that's for 50-100 feet use on the ground. (Protip: You can buy these non-PMA models which are carbon copies of the Parmetheus for much cheaper than the PMA models online).

Edited by Raptor05121
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, PTK said:

At a demo in the Aero Leds booth at Sun N Fun last year they showed the Parmetheus Plus vs. the Sunspot. Not even close - the Sunspot looked at least twice as bright as the Whelen. Some Mooneyspacers have bought the Whelens only to later go with the Sunspot. I'd be happy to pass on my Spruce discount - I get 10% off on the AeroLeds and 7% off of the Parmetheus Plus.

• Thanks 1