Avidyne marketing methods...

cnoe

On 3/15/2018 at 8:37 AM, Mooney in Oz said:

Garmin released an alert 2 months ago advising the GNS480 will soon no longer be supported.  No date was specified.

What exactly did they say?

If Garmin wants to protect their huge market share, why don't they develop a slide in replacement for the 430W/530W units? It can't be that hard if their competitors have already figured it out. People may be more inclined to fork over $$$ for new technology if they can bypass the labor expense and lengthy downtime.

• Like 2

Yeah  I remembered to check the forums...I was a little disappointed that Avidyne didn't contact me when they completed the update approval...but they guy who was working with me and my tech last year,left Avidyne and is with stec now.Its the first two items under equipment interface I have been waiting for....

IMG_4327.PNG

30 minutes ago, thinwing said:

Yeah  I remembered to check the forums...I was a little disappointed that Avidyne didn't contact me when they completed the update approval...but they guy who was working with me and my tech last year,left Avidyne and is with stec now...

They didn’t contact you because they don’t care. They got your money...

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:39 PM, Piloto said:

Wonder what does Avidyne do with the old GNS they get on the exchange. Do they sell them anywhere like on eBay? Does Avidyne has a senior discount?

José

They sell them to select dealers

• Thanks 1

I understand that this thread is about false advertising or bait and switch or whatever ....

however, I am glad that there is an alternative to Garmin for WAAS GPS navigators. 

What would be paying in a single supplier situation ? 

Not sure the purchase of UPS by Garmin was good for the average consumer I am 

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:37 AM, Mooney in Oz said:

Garmin released an alert 2 months ago advising the GNS480 will soon no longer be supported.  No date was specified.

The letter said there would be no cosmetic repairs , the units are still being and will be supported for a long time to come , Sent one in a few months ago for a flat rate repair....

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, PTK said:

Ha ha..maybe true...but if you want to truely bad customer service....try dealing with DJI....the billon dollar drone and camera  company ...I filed a complaint with PayPal on an order that they never shipped after a month or so...didn't answer emails etc...well as soon as I filed the dispute ..I finally get an email from DJI marketing saying because I filed a dispute (remember they have been paid)they weren't going to ship the item!!Told me as soon as I canceled the dispute ,they would ship the item!!...How's that for effrontery...

On 17/03/2018 at 6:29 AM, PTK said:

What exactly did they say?

On 17/03/2018 at 9:29 AM, Alan Fox said:

The letter said there would be no cosmetic repairs , the units are still being and will be supported for a long time to come , Sent one in a few months ago for a flat rate repair....

Not exactly correct Alan.

PRODUCTS AFFECTED:
Garmin GNS 480 (CNX 80) units are affected.

ISSUE:
The GNS 480 (CNX 80) is rapidly approaching end of service life. Due to limited parts availability, beginning January 1, 2018 repairs will be offered on a limited basis. Parts will only be allocated for repairs that affect airworthiness (no cosmetic repairs).

Reference: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/aviationalerts/gns-480-cnx-80-end-service-life/

Victor

1 hour ago, PTK said:

Before you say things like that, I’d recommend you take a look over at the avidynelive forum and check out just how involved the community and avidyne are with one another.  I assure you they care.

blatant troll remarks.  I’ve never seen such judgement rendered towards a company you have (admittedly)zero interaction with.  Avidyne provides a top notch product, is exceptionally transparent with their customers and has made every effort to keep their products affordable.

Edited by M016576
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Mooney in Oz said:

Not exactly correct Alan.

PRODUCTS AFFECTED:

ISSUE:
The GNS 480 (CNX 80) is rapidly approaching end of service life. Due to limited parts availability, beginning January 1, 2018 repairs will be offered on a limited basis. Parts will only be allocated for repairs that affect airworthiness (no cosmetic repairs).

Reference: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/aviationalerts/gns-480-cnx-80-end-service-life/

Victor

Yes exactly correct Victor. Get your facts straight. The only part they will not be able to change on the 480 is the front bezel if someone scratched it and wants it replaced. That’s it. The entire GNS line is and will be supported for many years to come.

31 minutes ago, M016576 said:

Before you say things like that, I’d recommend you take a look over at the avidynelive forum and check out just how involved the community and avidyne are with one another.  I assure you they care.

blatant troll remarks.  I’ve never seen such judgement rendered towards a company you have (admittedly)zero interaction with.  Avidyne provides a top notch product, is exceptionally transparent with their customers and has made every effort to keep their products affordable.

There's a nice Ignore User feature for trolls.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, M016576 said:

That’s sounds warm and fuzzy and feel good nice. But the facts and their actions don’t support it. Let me tell you something: I have “zero” respect for a company that blatantly lies to me. “Zero.”

Yes exactly correct Victor. Get your facts straight. The only part they will not be able to change on the 480 is the front bezel if someone scratched it and wants it replaced. That’s it. The entire GNS line is and will be supported for many years to come.

Wow! I thought your English understanding was pretty good. Read their message carefully. It might help your understanding.

They clearly state the 480 is RAPIDLY approaching end of service life. What this means is they have a clear date in their mind that the available parts supply (based on their historical repair history of these products) will run out. RAPIDLY doesn’t means forever. It means that if the population of 480s stay consistent, they will run out of parts at some point. RAPIDLY is the operative word. Also keep in mind that the 480 was an Apollo product and their life time supply strategy was probably completely different than Garmin’s.

Their statement about limited parts being available means they are probably very low on some components and will limit repairs.

The cosmetic repair comment means they clearly do not have replacement covers and other skin components. This is consistent with the electronic industry “keep the box running, don’t worry about the cosmetics”.

PRODUCTS AFFECTED:

ISSUE:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I'd never swap my 430W for a pricey 650 because of a mere $2000 "incentive".

As for Avidyne, they advertised "up to $8500 trade in". Why are you surprised you didn't get their top offer? And to be insulted when they showed you their tradein value table, which does indeed go up to $8500. Bait and switch? Not hardly . . . . There's probably standard boilerplate fine print as used in most ads these days, along the lines that everyone won't qualify for the highest tradein value, lowest financing deals, fastest install time or the most fun flying with their equipment.

Get over it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mooney in Oz said:

We may as well talk to the windsock.

Have you called Garmin? I did as recent as yesterday as matter of fact, and asked about this. I learned that the GNS series is and will be supported for years to come. Then I asked specifically about that announcement and specifically about the 480. The gentleman asked to place me on hold so he can confirm and give me accurate info. How refreshing, they actually care to give honest and accurate info even verbally on the phone. He returned a few moments later and confirmed: The only part they cannot repair/change on the 480 is the front bezel. He also mentioned that there is false information and advertising being put out on this by another company and that it’s being handled appropriately through the proper  channels. 

Remind me again... who is talking to the windsock?

As far as Avidyne is concerned , the dealers are at wits end with the company ,  The company is giving a dealership to anyone , they are selling all the Garmin takeouts to two dealers ( one doesn't even have a shop )  , I am getting close to the point where I may start selling them at cost , just to get trades...... They are not protecting their dealers , and the dealers are not happy about it....