Avidyne marketing methods...

cnoe

I've had some positive experiences with Avidyne over the past few years, and Chase with Avionics Source has been very positive in our discussions...

... BUT...

These marketing emails I get from Avidyne seem disingenuous at best. Today's email reads "Avidyne will accept the trade of your old (and soon to be unsupported) GNS navigators ...". The only time I discussed a trade-in with them directly it seemed more like a bait-and-switch since I was told that my one-month-since-factory-overhaul GNS530W was worth a LOT less in trade-in than the current Ebay selling price. It wasn't a good deal and I didn't appreciate the attempted low-ball offer.

So if you're inclined to do some dealing on an Avidyne upgrade I'd definitely talk to Chase instead of directly to the manufacturer.

And though my trusty old (newly-rebuilt) GNS isn't the newest technology it still has great functionality and value. I also don't believe that Garmin is going to abandon the WAAS versions anytime soon either. If somebody has placed a bug in the Garmin boardroom and knows differently I'd love to hear about it though. 

35 minutes ago, cnoe said:

I've had some positive experiences with Avidyne over the past few years, and Chase with Avionics Source has been very positive in our discussions...

... BUT...

These marketing emails I get from Avidyne seem disingenuous at best. Today's email reads "Avidyne will accept the trade of your old (and soon to be unsupported) GNS navigators ...". The only time I discussed a trade-in with them directly it seemed more like a bait-and-switch since I was told that my one-month-since-factory-overhaul GNS530W was worth a LOT less in trade-in than the current Ebay selling price. It wasn't a good deal and I didn't appreciate the attempted low-ball offer.

So if you're inclined to do some dealing on an Avidyne upgrade I'd definitely talk to Chase instead of directly to the manufacturer.

And though my trusty old (newly-rebuilt) GNS isn't the newest technology it still has great functionality and value. I also don't believe that Garmin is going to abandon the WAAS versions anytime soon either. If somebody has placed a bug in the Garmin boardroom and knows differently I'd love to hear about it though. 

I don't think it is a bait and switch. Think of it in terms of used car sales. When you do a trade in, do you really expect them to offer you top dollar for the trade in? They low ball you so they can make money on the resale. I think it is different with used avionics. It is not in their own best interest to keep these units in the market and what are they supposed to do with them? Sell them back to Garmin for parts? They are going to get stuck with all those units they buy back. So, getting them at the cheapest price would be in their own best interest.

And if they do put them back in the market through used avionics resellers, I'm sure they would want to capture as much additional profit as they could.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cnoe said:

... BUT...

Of course it's bait and switch. Think about it. They cannot sell their box unless someone swaps it with a GNS. It's in their best interest to push that to happen. There is resistance for precisely the reasons you mention. Folks are not in a hurry to remove a WAAS GNS because it has great functionality and value. 

It's best to stay with one vendor and not intermix imo. Avidyne seems to introduce more headaches than they are worth.

22 minutes ago, PTK said:

Of course it's bait and switch. Think about it. They cannot sell their box unless someone swaps it with a GNS. It's in their best interest to push that to happen. There is resistance for precisely the reasons you mention. Folks are not in a hurry to remove a WAAS GNS because it has great functionality and value. 

It's best to stay with one vendor and not intermix imo. Avidyne seems to introduce more headaches than they are worth.

I think they are selling their units to folks that don’t currently have a GNS- having a GNS previously is not a requirement, although it cuts down on install costs tremendously.

I swapped out a GNS-430W with an IFD-440 about 2 years ago and couldn’t be happier.  I have had absolutely zero problems.  It’s a solid waas GPS with a modern, intuitive interface and a great feature set (BT/wifi).  To what headaches regarding the avidyne units are you referring?

I have heard about G5 issues though at their initial release (I think those got cleared up with a software release). And now apparently the G5 isn’t compatible with FIkI installations? Weird...

I agree though, probably best to stay with a single vendor- garmin has been known to intentionally not play well with others- so it’s always a risk that they, or any other company, will intentionally isolate their product line.  Stratus is one that comes to mind as well.

To each their own.  Caveat emptor.

• Like 1

I'll agree going through Chase at AvionicsSource is the way to go. 

I do believe that the eBay or trade-in value of the GNS series is on a slow but sure decline. So when a firm trade-in offer from Chase intersected with a BlackFriday sale from Avidyne, I decided it was time to move. I've been happy with the decision every time I fly.

The compatibility between the Avidyne, Aspen, Garmin, and BK components in my panel has been flawless from day one.

The latest trade-in offer from Avidyne was to upgrade my IFD540 to the 550. After careful consideration I decided there just wasn't enough added capability to warrant the effort or the cost. But I can't fault Avidyne for trying. I'm in the business of selling technology myself, so I understand.

• Like 2

Yeah, everybody's gotta make a buck; I've been in sales for over a quarter-century myself. But it irks me a bit when Avidyne sends me THIS in an email in December:

Untitled.jpg.1ecf4c139fda1a876b394c6e0753107d.jpg

... then when I inquire about my pristine, recently-overhauled GNS530W I'm told... "On your Garmin 530W, you can get $7,000 on the trade in."  WTF?

If that's not bait-and-switch I don't know what is!

Sure, I'd like to have the IFD540 (maybe not as much as a GTN750???) but with the $6,450 I saved by keeping my trusty 530W I can almost buy the new GFC500 Autopilot System that's coming out! That seems like a better upgrade to me, and my budget won't allow me to do everything at once.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, everybody's gotta make a buck; I've been in sales for over a quarter-century myself. But it irks me a bit when Avidyne sends me THIS in an email in December:
Untitled.jpg.1ecf4c139fda1a876b394c6e0753107d.jpg
... then when I inquire about my pristine, recently-overhauled GNS530W I'm told... "On your Garmin 530W, you can get $7,000 on the trade in."  WTF?
If that's not bait-and-switch I don't know what is!
Sure, I'd like to have the IFD540 (maybe not as much as a GTN750???) but with the $6,450 I saved by keeping my trusty 530W I can almost buy the new GFC500 Autopilot System that's coming out! That seems like a better upgrade to me and my budget won't allow me to do everything at once.

Was there fine print somewhere? Maybe the $8,500 was for a unit that had TAWS or the 16W transmitter or some other option that is not on a plain vanilla 530W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Was there fine print somewhere? Maybe the $8,500 was for a unit that had TAWS or the 16W transmitter or some other option that is not on a plain vanilla 530W.

Nope, no fine print.

After expressing my displeasure and requesting further explanation I was told that if I'd trade my unit in on a IDF550 they would give me $8,500, but that's NOT what the emailed offer stated. It said quite plainly "...when you upgrade to any Avidyne slide-in replacement".

That's a crappy way to do business IMO.

• Like 1

And as stated above, I don't appreciate the "scare tactics" either stating that the WAAS GNS units are "soon to be unsupported".

Does Avidyne have some insider information about Garmin's support plans? I doubt it.

Sure, my GNS may not be supported 5-10 years from now, but I don't think Garmin is  abandoning them "soon" like Avidyne states. They should sell their equipment on its merits; I hear it's pretty cool kit!

Nope, no fine print.
After expressing my displeasure and requesting further explanation I was told that if I'd trade my unit in on a IDF550 they would give me $8,500, but that's NOT what the emailed offer stated. It said quite plainly "...when you upgrade to any Avidyne slide-in replacement".
That's a crappy way to do business IMO.

I found their ad. There is a disclaimer “Value will be determined by model traded in.” Have you tried to call them and tell them you have a 16W unit with TAWS to see if the trade in value increases?

Bait and switch is a pretty serious allegation. Not saying that they aren’t doing this but I know that GNS with TAWS and/or 16W receiver is worth more.

I agree that the TAWS or 16W receiver would add value, but I don't believe that's what the advertisement was about. When pressed on the issue here is the information I was provided by Avidyne:

Trade in Values:

For example: If you trade in your Garmin530W towards an Anvidyne IFD550, you will receive $8,500.

- $8500 in credit when swapping an old Garmin 530W for an IFD550 

- $7000 Garmin 430W for an IFD550

- $7500 Garmin 530W for an IFD540

- $6000 Garmin 430W for an IFD540

- $4500 in credit when swapping an old Garmin 530 for an IFD550 

- $4000 Garmin 430 for an IFD550

- $3500 Garmin 530 for an IFD540

- $3000 Garmin 430 for an IFD540

- $5000 in credit when swapping an old Garmin 430W for an IFD440 

- $2000 Garmin 430 for an IFD440

So yes, they did offer to give me $8,500 in trade-in for my GNS530W, but only if purchasing an IFD550. No mention was made of the other units.

As stated above I believe it's poor form to advertise the offer  "...when you upgrade to any Avidyne slide-in replacement", when in fact that is not the case, and no "fine print" was included, particularly in the emailed offer.

I'm just sayin'...

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now 'cause I'm starting to sound like a whiner.:) 

Standard marketing these days.

Avidyne has the trade-in prices posted on their website. The verbage is clear and not ambiguous. Anyone spending that much money should know the details of the purchase.

Any serious buyer should be talking with their installer (Avidyne approved avionics guy) to get the whole picture. 

Okay, I guess I lied too 'cause I'm still posting.

18 minutes ago, Cruiser said:

Standard marketing these days.

Sad but true.

19 minutes ago, Cruiser said:

Avidyne has the trade-in prices posted on their website. The verbage is clear and not ambiguous.

Can somebody post a link to that for me; I couldn't find it.

At least I DID see that they changed the wording on their website from ""any" to "an" Avidyne slide-in replacement". That's just not what it said in 3 of the 4 email advertisements I have on my computer.

24 minutes ago, Cruiser said:

Any serious buyer should be talking with their installer (Avidyne approved avionics guy) to get the whole picture. 

Agreed, that's why was originally working with Chase (nice guy) on a possible upgrade.

5 hours ago, Piloto said:

Wonder what does Avidyne do with the old GNS they get on the exchange. Do they sell them anywhere like on eBay? Does Avidyne has a senior discount?

José

Yes but you have to live in FL where they are made and you have to have a pee tube installed on your airplane. Wow, you qualify!  :D

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

This probably wasn't on all of their marketing materials but here's what the deal was on trade-in values:

5aa9c9a18782f_ScreenShot2018-03-14at8_16_42PM.thumb.png.6dfbcfd78adc34e6debfb6bc4e4bbf64.png

5aa9c8f7a51ba_ScreenShot2018-03-14at8_13_31PM.thumb.png.81333ec079bad661cf0dbd789ec8c78c.png

• Like 1

This probably wasn't on all of their marketing materials but here's what the deal was on trade-in values:
5aa9c9a18782f_ScreenShot2018-03-14at8_16_42PM.thumb.png.6dfbcfd78adc34e6debfb6bc4e4bbf64.png
5aa9c8f7a51ba_ScreenShot2018-03-14at8_13_31PM.thumb.png.81333ec079bad661cf0dbd789ec8c78c.png

Thank you. That’s similar to what they ultimately emailed me privately.

I don’t find that pricing to be unfair. And they eventually edited the advertisement to not be misleading or confusing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From Trek Lawler on the Beechtalk forum:

Hello everyone,
I'm sorry this keeps popping up like this, but I can assure you there is no truth to the comment "soon to be unsupported". When and if this day ever comes Garmin will be the first to provide detailed information about this. I keep in very close discussions with our equipment and details like this since it is me and my team who answers these questions on a daily basis and I can assure you the GNS support is still as strong as ever.

please contact me directly either by PM, email to my attention at avionics@garmin.com or by phone at 888-606-5482 and ask for me and I'll be happy to help answer or squelch any rumors like this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cnoe said:

Thank you. That’s similar to what they ultimately emailed me privately.

I don’t find that pricing to be unfair. And they eventually edited the advertisement to not be misleading or confusing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This looks like a great deal 

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=150417

The Avidyne crappy marketing caught my eye earlier today...

Announcing the soon to be unsupported equipment of the competitor..... That is a marketing 101 no-no... :)

It turns into a bad reflection on the author, the moment two potential customers get together to discuss what they are buying.  Or in this case a few dozen MSers or so, maybe 1,000 on lookers...

In grammar school, that is simply called a lie...

Garmin hasn’t shown a consistent plan for what gets killed off or sunsetted and what stays on forever.... 

Did Avidyne get a new batch of marketing people lately?

Didn’t Chase change hangars? :) (Or am I starting a rumor, marketing 102 challenge)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

The Avidyne crappy marketing caught my eye earlier today...

In grammar school, that is simply called a lie...

Disgraceful. Avidyne got caught in a blatant lie. Are they not above disrespecting and insulting the intelligence of their customer base? What do they think? Their potential customers are fools and they won't notice? Could it be that they just can't move their IFD as well as they expected? Their one hope they hanged their hat on to sell to existing GNS owners maybe was just a flop? Personally I was never a big fan of the idea leaving the old wiring behind the panel. Paying all that money for what amounts to a half ass install imo.

Well it's been a year of fun with the Avidyne /Garmin g500 red x ed Attitude indicator.Avidyne announced 10.2.1 feb 21....I don't know ifs it's available yet ,and frankly I'm worried it will introduce an even worse glitch!!...To remind everybody...last spring after the 10.2 update..the strangest things started to occur with G500 display...it would go into a shutdown showing a big red x....always on taxi to takeoff...this also knocks out BK225 autopilot and more importantly the elec trim.It fortunately always comes back...about 1/2 way down the runway and about 45 kts or so.I had thought of trading back one of the Avidynes ( I had a 540/440 installed)and wondered if I removed the 440 and found a gns 430w to take its place I could takeoff with cdi selector on the old 430w to cure the problem.Also I have found I cannot couple glidescope during rnav approaches between the Avidyne and bk225...so I've been using ils approaches when low fog and handflying the rest.My tech didn't think this a good idea as the remaining ifd540 would still be outputting faulty logic stream to g500.Anybody had experience with latest update?

• Sad 1