What Jacks do you Reccommend?

MBDiagMan

1 hour ago, tangogawd said:

I read in one post about the main tire going flat and the aircraft sinking down to it....... my question, do these HF jacks fit underneath the jack pad with a tire flat? I ran into this this winter using an aviation jack, fits when the tire is inflated, but not when flat. 

you can always use a scissor jack at the gear to raise the plane up enough to slide a real jack under it

Great pics, Charles!
One question... Why the Nut welded on the top?   
Is there additional value to the threads inside there?
Best regards,
-a-

4de31b1b5389a994dbdb0f50b9cdf30b.jpg

Jack points sitting in the nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2018 at 4:01 AM, M20Doc said:

I don’t know why Mooney would suggest lifting the front of the plane using the engine lift ring.  I asked Lycoming and they said no, it’s meant for lifting the engine only.  There was a member here who posted a picture of his Bravo engine with cracks at the lift ring.  My guess is that there was a failure of the tail tie down ring worn thinner from ground contact.  

I find it quite surprising that people will spend thousands on the latest gadgets like LED lights to be safer, then cheap out and risk injury or death by cobbling up a jack made of plywood, electrical conduit and hose clamps, and a tail support screwed to the floor.

As an employer I guess I have a different few of safety.

Clarence

That really makes no sense Clarence..the Bravo has its own jackpoint on left side or engine

7 minutes ago, thinwing said:

That really makes no sense Clarence..the Bravo has its own jackpoint on left side or engine

I think the long bodied Mooneys have the jack point on the nose to keep people from using tail weights, engine lift point or prop jacks, SIM20-114  tells ya what they want

At the end of the day it is all physics. If you have other than a girly-man core and upper body strength, you'll be amazed at how high you can lift one side of a Mooney on your own. I am wondering why a nice long-reach hoist like I bought at HF with a strap wouldn't be sufficient to lift one side enough to get the wheels off the ground and get a horse under there. Think of how much weight the wings lift, how well balanced they are, and how strong they are (What about that photo floating around with all the Mooney workers sitting on the wing?). The problem is that the mass distribution is complicated and you have to know just where to put things to avoid those ugly jack-through-the-wing scenarios. That, however, is fairly easy given all the engineering diagrams available for the M20 series. Then their was the crusty old A&P who flew his flying workshop (V-tail Bonnie) out to T78 after I lost a tire on a Sunday afternoon. He pulled out a scissors jack and some boards and lifted one side of my E up right there on the runway. Fortunately, I had just started flying it on my own and didn't know enough to be panicked :P

image_25359.jpg

42 minutes ago, HRM said:

I am wondering why a nice long-reach hoist like I bought at HF with a strap wouldn't be sufficient to lift one side enough to get the wheels off the ground and get a horse under there.

Fortunately, I had just started flying it on my own and didn't know enough to be panicked :P

the strap would bend the crap out of the aileron unless you used a spreader bar, most of us are treading on thin ice by doing the work we do anyway, might as well do it correctly by the book or the revised procedure should there be one like SIM20-114 above. I feel a lot safer laying under my or any plane for that matter that is properly supported by steel. 

2 hours ago, thinwing said:

I’m aware of the jack points on a Bravo, what I was getting at was Mooney’s suggested method of raising the nose by the engine lift ring and risking a cracked crankcase.  I don’t know how the Bravo I mentioned was raised, but it did have some pretty good cracks in the lift ring area of the case.

Clarence

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lbs-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-69148.html

I have always wondered if you could use a pair of these to lift the wings.  I had thought a pair of special jack stands modified to use the Mooney jack points could be an easy way to jack the plane and you could use the lift platforms for other projects.

HFtable.jpg

2 hours ago, Wildhorsesracing said:

I have always wondered if you could use a pair of these to lift the wings.  I had thought a pair of special jack stands modified to use the Mooney jack points could be an easy way to jack the plane and you could use the lift platforms for other projects.

BTTOT, you'd really need two and at that price you might as well buy aircraft jacks.

• 5 months later...
On 3/18/2018 at 1:46 PM, DaV8or said:

Here's some pictures of my rig-

The straps I had made-

IMG_1618.jpg

Alpha Jacks and the awesome new Harbor Freight ram (:rolleyes:) in my 30 year old hoist-

IMG_1619.jpg

The jack stands and steel bar in the nose gear is just added safety for when I'm not swinging the gear. Don't forget to remove when I do swing the gear!! :o

IMG_1617.jpg

The locking rings-

IMG_1623.jpg

My modification to the pipe stand. I made it so I can also put the original V back on and use it as a pipe stand if I need to.

IMG_1622.jpg

Rock solid! About $80 on Amazon.

IMG_1621.jpg

I have since modified this rig so I can now lift just the nose with a bottle jack and take just the front wheel off if I need to.

IMG_1618.jpg

Has anyone ever used the HD Jack as shown above to raise a Mooney?  They are rated at 2500 pounds and I have no doubt they would support that much.  My question is, can they LIFT that much, or even the 800 pounds or so that they would have to raise, by simply turning the handle.  Additionally, would the shaft turn around the support point rather than the shaft remaining stationary against the lift point without rotating while turning the handle?

4 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

My question is, can they LIFT that much, or even the 800 pounds or so that they would have to raise, by simply turning the handle.

Therein lies the rub, literally. I've looked into these sorts of jacks and from what I have seen they state that they are not for lifting, but stabilizing. You could still lift with them, but you may not be able to turn the handle due to friction. Then you have the possibility that lifting with them could cause stresses on the handle and cause it to snap off or something (I'm an EE, not an ME). Could ruin your day.

I would love to find a used Myers set.  Hard to even know where to start looking.

I expect I will end up building a jack set and using a floor tie down, or a cherry picker.

Actually if I had a cherry picker for the front and then just set the screw jacks under the wings and lifted the front rather than jack the wings it might work well although it would be nose high.

On 6/11/2018 at 7:29 PM, RLCarter said:

I think the long bodied Mooneys have the jack point on the nose to keep people from using tail weights, engine lift point or prop jacks, SIM20-114  tells ya what they want

Okay, looking at the SIM20-114 indicates the use of jack stands under the wings as opposed to jacks.  Apparently they recommend the jack stands snugged in place is followed by lifting the front, thus lowering the tail.  This would make the HDJacks usable for the purpose.  This is what I was trying to describe in my previous post.

15 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

I expect I will end up building a jack set and using a floor tie down, or a cherry picker.

Actually if I had a cherry picker for the front and then just set the screw jacks under the wings and lifted the front rather than jack the wings it might work well although it would be nose high.

One of my hangar neighbors put an anchor in the concrete floor of his hangar.   You wouldn't know it was there if you didn't look right at it.   I'm thinking that's a good way to do it.

I suspect everyone posting in this thread knows more about jacks, jacking up airplanes, and machinery than me. When I had a gear issue the local mechanics couldn’t get to my airplane right away because another Mooney had slid off its home made jacks. Now if you know all about machinery, perhaps it’s OK. But I’ll bet that everyone who ever had their airplane slip off jacks thought it couldn’t or wouldn’t happen.

Just a thought. Sorry to be a gadfly, but this isn’t the first airplane I’ve heard about slipping off its nonstandard jacks.

Great point Steingar!

I grew up in my Dads auto repair shop with him constantly warning me about getting near or under a raised vehicle.  I have raised hundreds of vehicles with many different methods with no incident.  Even with this experience I am hesitant.  The vision of a jack poking through the wing of my baby is not pretty.

• 2 weeks later...

No problems doing tire changes one wheel at a time, using materials readily available. A 1.25 inch socket, 1/2 inch drive worked to top the bottle jack and act as a receptacle for the lift point. Only had to lift about 4 inches for the wheel to clear the floor. 

9B9D12BC-5663-4B89-A8BB-061B355650B0.jpeg

329FF7EF-9D04-4F75-AF58-1FEBB37DF360.jpeg

EB36997B-055D-4297-A9B4-17ED55DFD624.jpeg

10A11917-7554-479F-8ACF-134CF0F19E13.jpeg

• Like 2