Control yoke switches for Century IIb

Bartman

I need a bit of help and advise here. I just got my control yokes back from Aerocomfort and they are Awesome !  With installation of the switches came a couple of questions. I used to have a WX1000 and it was removed, but the switch is still on the yoke. Obviously that switch should have been removed with the rest of the system, and we will not install that on the new yoke end caps. However, there was another switch on the right side pilot yoke labeled CWS that has been broken since I got the plane and I'm really not sure what to do. I'm not really sure what it does, but if I heard right it will momentarily disengage the autopilot but I'm not sure on that. Also, we put new micro switches in the trim switch couple of years ago and it worked ok for a while, but crapped out again. The servo engages both up and down if jumped across at the switch so the switch housing so we figure the contacts must be worn in the switch housing itself. We have decided to replace this 40 year old switch rather than try to fix again.

Questions

1. What is the CWS switch, and is it necessary ? I read the Century IIb manual and it is not mentioned. 
  2. What are my options for the trim switch and where can I get a replacement ?

Here is a pic of the broken CWS switch on the old yoke end cap. They sent new end caps which look great.IMG_0410.thumb.PNG.13f157d9ca6c512c32e4fd8d80e7653a.PNG

1 hour ago, Bartman said:

Questions

1. What is the CWS switch, and is it necessary ? I read the Century IIb manual and it is not mentioned.

CWS is Control Wheel Steering and when held down allows you to maneuver the plan in pitch and roll without disconnecting the AP. After you release the switch, the AP resumes control. Think of it as "autopilot interruptus".

I’m not aware of a CWS provision for the IIb autopilot.  It’s more old school - turn it off - turn it on.  

Are you sure that those yokes are original and not from a donor plane?

if you want to put some existing buttons to use I recently wired an old switch to com flip-flop.  That’s useful. Some people have buttons wired to transponder ident.  Since wired are existing might be worth considering ...

Re your trim examine the solder leads closely.  if not shorted the actual button sprint depress mechanism and levers might need a cleaning and lubrication.  Then I’d consider replacing the micro switches once more. Only after doing those two things would I consider $900 for $50 in parts ...

Thanks guys.

I usually fly with the autopilot following GPS in NAV mode. I can see how the CWS could be ueseful for short deviations around buildups and some other situations. Before in these situations I either switched to HDG and followed the bug, or disconnect at the magnetic rocker switch. It's an inexpensive normally closed switch and a new one is on order. 

My IA likes to fix things rather than replace parts so he rebuilt the trim switch about 3 years ago with 3 new micro switches from info I gave him from Mooneyspace. :) It worked for about a year, he soldered it again and was intermittent after that. While my control yokes were at Aerocomfort he worked on the switch one more time including cleaning contacts, lubrication, and redid soldering, but does not work right. Servo engages up and down when jumped at the switch, so everything else should be good.  He really tried to save it but says it's 40 years old and it's toast. We discussed it and it's time replace with a new switch.