Why a Mooney? Let me tell you....

thomas1142

Some of you know I had starting problems in my new to me M20J. Well all that has been taken care off, now my starts take no more than two to three blades. Back on topic. In the lat two months my wife and I made some trips that wouldn’t have been possible with out the Mooney.

We took a friend to Sarasota Fl for a job interview. Forced stay for three days due to maintenance. I know, still not making my point. So I will start now.

Plane fixed, left Sarasota for Savanah GA, dropped friend off, RTB to NW Florida. Trip time 5 hrs.....car time at least 15 hrs.

Next trip was to Houston TX for the birth of our grandson. Flying time  4hrs there, 3.2hrs on the return. Round trip by car would have been 20 plus hours. 

Returned home for one day then flew to Virginia Beach to baby sit our granddaughter. Heck of a tail wind, flying time 4hrs, 5plus on return (heck of a head wind). One way trip to Virginia Beach is more than 14 hrs by car.

Bottom line, without the Mooney these trips would either not have been possible or we would have spent more time on the road than in the visit.

• Like 5

The coolest things occur when it’s not so new to you...

Maintnenance is up to date, the way you expect it to be...

The hours build up, and fear of corrosion goes down...

How old were you when you got grand kids?

I need some shared facts to put in my forward looking calandar.... :)

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

The coolest things occur when it’s not so new to you...

Maintnenance is up to date, the way you expect it to be...

The hours build up, and fear of corrosion goes down...

How old were you when you got grand kids?

I need some shared facts to put in my forward looking calandar.... :)

Best regards,

-a-

It has been almost a year since I bought it and the only thing it needs is a bulb for the beacon, which is on order. First grand kid  came along at 42, we are now on number 9, at 60 years old. Blessings, all of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mooney in Oz said:

Hi there Thomas.  In addition to the time saved, there is also the miserly fuel burn factor!

All flights were accomplished on less than 10 gph. On the tail wind flights it was truly amazing. 30 gal to Houston, about 35 to Virginia beach. Saw ground speeds of over 200mph.

Edited by thomas1142

On 3/12/2018 at 5:13 AM, Mooneymite said:

The Mooney is a time machine.  Whenever I think about the cost of ownership in dollars, I remember my Mooney's value in time saved.

I love our time machine, you can't put a price on time.

My wife knows I have wanted to fly for as long as I have memories. About two years ago when we learned we would have two grandchildren arriving within a month of each other (One in UT and one in ID) she said I should get my pilots license and a plane to make visits easier. I started my PPL two weeks later...

5 1/2 months later I passed my check ride. Two months after that we bought our Mooney and then we put almost 150 hours on it over the next year visiting family more than we ever had before.

• Like 6

On 14/03/2018 at 1:14 PM, Skates97 said:

I love our time machine, you can't put a price on time.

My wife knows I have wanted to fly for as long as I have memories. About two years ago when we learned we would have two grandchildren arriving within a month of each other (One in UT and one in ID) she said I should get my pilots license and a plane to make visits easier. I started my PPL two weeks later...

5 1/2 months later I passed my check ride. Two months after that we bought our Mooney and then we put almost 150 hours on it over the next year visiting family more than we ever had before.

A really nice little story there Richard.  Your wife is special.  I wish my ex had been like that.

Victor

• Thanks 1