Labor Time To Replace Rocker Cover Gaskets?

• agoessling changed the title to Labor Time To Replace Rocker Cover Gaskets?

A few hangar fairies got together and said an hour would be long... but, what would a hangar fairy know about rocker covers on an aircraft engine?

I gave the HF a hard time.., he said how many screws is it on each cover? And do you have a big screw driver? Do you know how to open a cowl?

Don’t forget to order the proper seals, he threw in as if he was doing me a favor...

This is the type of project you get that allows you to work with your mechanic.  Not very technically challenging, no deep skill required.  Proper tools, specs, Sealants and procedure... you will probably be surprised what else is involved... and how long it takes...

What if the old seals all need some serious clean-up to get off their locations? Typical of some old cork gaskets of years gone by...

Continental has twice the number of gaskets and covers as a Lycoming does... extra fun added in just for the Continental owner.  :)

What else can you ask for..?

Is this being done during the annual, while the engine is exposed and the mechanic has his tools nearby?

Best regards,

-a-

I replaced all 12 on my TSIO-360 with silicon gaskets .   Done correctly as per the instructions it takes longer than you may think.   I torqued them to 25 inch pounds in steps, ran the engine and checked the torque again. I spent all afternoon (4+ hours)

You may want to check the condition of your rocker covers before you invest in new gaskets.  Make sure the sealing surface is flat.  The covers may be deformed, especially if they had silicon gaskets and someone over tightened them.    I had to replace several of mine to eventually stop the oil seepage.

Bill

• Like 2

7 hours ago, agoessling said:

I'm curious if anyone has an idea of how many hours of labor I should expect to replace 12 rocker cover gaskets on a TSIO-360.  I'd like to double check a shop's estimate.

There are many variables.  It depends on whether the old gaskets are baked on to the cylinder heads and the rocker covers. Sometimes it can be a real chore to scrap the old ones off with a razor blade.  Sometimes the old covers require some work to get the flanges flat again.  It depends on whether you’re puttting on paper or silicon gaskets, sometimes both will have annoying leaks which require disassembly and starting again.

Clarence

Isn't the best procedure, to build a relationship with a shop so that there is mutual trust and professionalism? When Laura at SWTA sends me a bill that I think is a little higher than I was expecting, I can be 100% confident that she should be charging me even more based on the amount of effort JD or the guys, had to put into the job. 

There are plenty of things to worry about and stress over regarding this little hobby we all enjoy. Worrying if my mechanic is overcharging me shouldn't be one of them. 

There is a particular Mooney owner in Texas, who can't hardly find a shop to work on his bird. And it's because he has accused every shop in the area of incompetence, ripping him off, gross negligence, and even threatened legal action. 

Be nice to your A&P and he'll be nice to you... It can't be an easy way to make a living, so I try to be the best customer I can be. Don't make unreasonable requests, accept that sometimes jobs take longer than expected, they will find stuff that needs fixing that I didn't know about, pay my bill promptly, and never complain about the cost.

And so if you stop in at SWTA and the job takes an extra day, it might be because I pulled 252AD in and needed some quick maintenance. Being a shop's favorite customer has it's advantages :D

• Like 7

I usually write the check for more than the bill because I don't think the IA Charges enough.    

There is the proper tool for the job and the razor blade would be the slow way.    A gasket Scraper would be the faster way.     They really are a marvelous tool.

https://store.snapon.com/Rigid-Carbon-Scrapers-3-pc-Green-Scraper-Set-P893609.aspx

image.png.e886b1348b9edfdef442c3f0ef3bedae.png

• Like 1

I have a thin razor sharp filed thin screwdriver I use for rocker gaskets. A dermal with a gasket removal wheel works but kinda sprays debris all over. Best bet is patients with a phenolic scraper. I’ve had good luck with real silicone gaskets however they sometimes don’t work well with the Cmi 360& 550 dual covers. I know of a few owners that have had machined aluminum valve covers to prevent warping of the flange. 

As far as time/money goes, I’d do it myself once. Then pay to have it done the next time so you can appreciate the pain in the ass it can be if they get baked on. 

-Matt

I did it myself under my IA’s supervision during annual a couple years back. Can’t say it took me more than 90 minuets. Installed with silicone gaskets.  Hopefully, I won’t have a problem for a long time.  

The newer stamped steel rocker covers will warp if ham fisted.  Once they warp, they will never seal properly and you will have to buy new ones.  Better yet, find a set of aluminum rocker covers, like the rear one on #2 cylinder but without the oil cooler support.  They will never warp, seal better and conduct heat more efficiently than steel. You will pay a very slight weight penalty because screws are 1 1/4” long instead of 1/2”.  Engine on my plane is a Continental re-man and was delivered with the aluminum rocker covers. 

Also have to agree with gsxrpilot, be the best customer you can be. I know my IA is anal retentive and that’s how I want him to be!  I don’t question him when he says he found a problem, it’s my skin he’s looking after, not trying to scam me out of more money.  I pay my bill immediately.  Sometimes, when I don’t see the invoice within a week I stop by with my checkbook.  Often, he’s just been too busy to send out the bill but, I want him to get paid in a timely fashion.

Being a good and interested customer has it’s advantages.  If I have a problem and need to dispatch, I’m immediately at the front of the line.  He knows that I’m a ME and I’m meticulous on maintenance on everything I own. When I first started going to him I asked if I could watch, not interrupt and ask questions. Over time it has become “Do you want to help?”.  We’ve developed a friendship,  with that has become the benefit of assisting on maintenance, reducing my cost a little but, more importantly, learning all the systems on the airplane. I’ve become a better owner and pilot because of our relationship. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2018 at 11:04 PM, agoessling said:

I'm curious if anyone has an idea of how many hours of labor I should expect to replace 12 rocker cover gaskets on a TSIO-360.  I'd like to double check a shop's estimate.

So, what was the estimate or the cost?