Emergency Exit- Vintage Mooneys

Does anyone have a picture of the interior baggage door release mechanism from a 1998 Ovation.  I replaced my entire baggage door from a 1998 Ovation and it is all assembled.  I do not want to take it apart (I have taken enough apart of that airplane) but would like to soo how the interior lock release opens if someone has ready access.

John Breda

56 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

Does anyone have a picture of the interior baggage door release mechanism from a 1998 Ovation.  I replaced my entire baggage door from a 1998 Ovation and it is all assembled.  I do not want to take it apart (I have taken enough apart of that airplane) but would like to soo how the interior lock release opens if someone has ready access.

John Breda

These are from a 1994 M20J, should be the same.

IMG-3621.jpg.e164db5a248e2d1629f8c8b2afc5881d.jpg

IMG-3623.jpg.2e3d04dfa6ac56064d64694463cd535d.jpg

1 hour ago, M20F-1968 said:

John Breda

Just curious about something, given that Mooney's are handmade, how did the replacement door fit on the first pass?

1 minute ago, jamesm said:

1994 Mooney was stilling fiberglass insulation.  thought Mooney had SI/SB/SL to remove it since had potential to absorb water and/or trap it against the metal corrosion?

Mooney only put the foam on the sides beneath the windows. When I had the interior out, I bought some of the Mooney foam from a MSC and removed all the fiberglass on the ceiling and baggage compartment and replaced it with foam. The Mooney foam is 1/2" thick and has aluminumized mylar on one side and adhesive on the other. It comes in a roll about 54" wide and I needed 12 feet of it to replace all the fiberglass. 

Skip

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, jamesm said:

1994 Mooney was stilling fiberglass insulation.  thought Mooney had SI/SB/SL to remove it since had potential to absorb water and/or trap it against the metal corrosion?

The hatch is all aluminum, though, so the fiberglass doesn't bother as much in there.   

On 12/19/2022 at 12:59 PM, flyboy0681 said:

Just curious about something, given that Mooney's are handmade, how did the replacement door fit on the first pass?

Left one side of the hinge on the airframe.  Pulled the hinge pin out of the hinge on the door.   Installed the door, put the hinge pin back in.  I did nothing and never needed to so much as change the door seal.

John Breda

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cliffy said:

Using the baggage door for an exit?????

How many of us could even get out that way at our age and do I dare say---- size? 

Maybe someone should post pictures of actually going out that way :-)

In a dire situation you'd be amazed at what a person could do.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

In a dire situation you'd be amazed at what a person could do.

Many here are 70 years old and way overweight to even fit through the door.

Let alone trying to contort ones body over the seats and out the hole.

Show me pictures of anyone doing it  :-)  6 ft tall and 250 lbs!!

Now try getting 4 bodies out that same door in an emergency (fire?)

Go ahead try it and post the pictures please. 

1 hour ago, cliffy said:

Many here are 70 years old and way overweight to even fit through the door.

Let alone trying to contort ones body over the seats and out the hole.

Show me pictures of anyone doing it  :-)  6 ft tall and 250 lbs!!

Now try getting 4 bodies out that same door in an emergency (fire?)

Go ahead try it and post the pictures please. 

Ok, so not 250, 6’, but there’s a video around here.  Maybe @201er?  Someone did it and it was surprisingly fast and easy.  I do think it was a smaller person…

7 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Ok, so not 250, 6’, but there’s a video around here.  Maybe @201er?  Someone did it and it was surprisingly fast and easy.  I do think it was a smaller person…

This is the closest thing I’ve seen and it pretty much goes to show that >70 year old 250lbs is SOL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1