My new M20M panel

HXG

Hi all,

I thought I would share a photo of my new Bravo glass panel done at Aerotronics in Billings, MT. I certainly have enjoyed looking at the many great panels people have posted.  I’ve owned my first mooney for about 8 months now. Love it. 

Ho

3E411BA0-ABB2-4BAF-AA64-F88CAE2DEE7B.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, HXG said:

Hi all,

I thought I would share a photo of my new Bravo glass panel done at Aerotronics in Billings, MT. I certainly have enjoyed looking at the many great panels people have posted.  I’ve owned my first mooney for about 8 months now. Love it. 

Ho

5aa4016c060d3_ScreenShot2018-03-10at10_00_11AM.thumb.png.e3fe0b446e0707b0c4256f4719b4fe7d.png

Very nice! It looks much cleaner than before.

It makes sense to have a JPI-900 close to you. I have seen some 930's (bigger screen) way over on the right side. I like your set-up better. 

Were the Moritz gauges giving you trouble?

I am guessing the vacuum pumps are gone now?

Eventually I would like to do something similar to my M20M, although I don't have the Moritz gauges. Would you mind sharing what it cost to do your transformation and how long it took?

• Like 1

When we re-did the panel in my 231 we replaced all the factory gauges (except vacuum) with a 930, and put the 930 in the same place you did.  Smartest thing I did on that panel.  It puts all the engine functions in the pilot's scan, so even when you are IFR you know what is going on with the engine, and if there is a problem it is detected immediately.  That has saved my bacon more than once, and probably the engine also.

• Like 2

Very nice panel it does look very clean! Did you realize any gains in Usefull Load...realize it would be slight but always curious! Also, did you ever consider putting the L3 backup on the co-pilot panel? I do concur having the JPI in cross check is key...mine is on co-pilot panel and it is a constant reminder to look at it after desired cruise power is set!

The Moritz gauges were going one by one. I also had a problem with a fuel pressure gauge and fuel level.   I decided on the 900 for primary gauges since I new I could fit it in my direct line of sight and easily access it with my right hand.

My goal was to facilitate a tight scan for IFR. I new I wanted as much information and redundancy in front of my nose so I avoided adding things to the right panel. That’s also why I chose the 2 650’s. I went with Aspen and the L3  front and center over the G500 or G500TXI which are beautiful since I didn’t feel the extra MFD information in that location was that important to me (personal preferance based on how I fly but it was a tough call).  I kept the Avidyne EX 500 in place (no room behind panel to move higher) which has nexrad weather and stormscope lightning. I also kept some steam gauges since I just couldn’t let go being an initial steam gauge guy. 

Vacuum pumps are gone. I believe I saved near 12lbs. I can’t yet give a cost estimate since I had a lot of other stuff done including speed brake servicing, alternator regulator repair, stormscope repair, new LED lights, wiring work etc. I haven’t yet picked up the plane and payed the final balance. 

Thanks for the compliments. This really is my dream plane which is FIKI. This is my 3rd and hopefully final plane.  I previously was a partner in an RV-8 and sold my Super Decathlon in a trade for this beautiful Bravo.

Ho

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HXG said:

The Moritz gauges were going one by one. I also had a problem with a fuel pressure gauge and fuel level.   I decided on the 900 for primary gauges since I new I could fit it in my direct line of sight and easily access it with my right hand.

My goal was to facilitate a tight scan for IFR. I new I wanted as much information and redundancy in front of my nose so I avoided adding things to the right panel. That’s also why I chose the 2 650’s. I went with Aspen and the L3  front and center over the G500 or G500TXI which are beautiful since I didn’t feel the extra MFD information in that location was that important to me (personal preferance based on how I fly but it was a tough call).  I kept the Avidyne EX 500 in place (no room behind panel to move higher) which has nexrad weather and stormscope lightning. I also kept some steam gauges since I just couldn’t let go being an initial steam gauge guy. 

Vacuum pumps are gone. I believe I saved near 12lbs. I can’t yet give a cost estimate since I had a lot of other stuff done including speed brake servicing, alternator regulator repair, stormscope repair, new LED lights, wiring work etc. I haven’t yet picked up the plane and payed the final balance. 

Thanks for the compliments. This really is my dream plane which is FIKI. This is my 3rd and hopefully final plane.  I previously was a partner in an RV-8 and sold my Super Decathlon in a trade for this beautiful Bravo.

Ho

One thing I noticed when I had the Ovation with the Aspens and the KFC225 Autopilot is that the autopilot got thru it's self-test way before the AHRS was up on the Aspen, so the self-test would fail on the autopilot every time.

So, in my checklist on shutdown of the airplane I pulled the Autopilot circuit breaker. In my checklist on startup I pushed in my circuit breaker on the Autopilot after the AHRS was up on the Aspen. That was solved. I also heard from someone that has a G500 and the KFC225 that they have to do the same thing.

Hi all,
Ho
3E411BA0-ABB2-4BAF-AA64-F88CAE2DEE7B.thumb.png.1983f789e3c69837f71a7023ddec7a97.png

Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/10/2018 at 12:08 AM, HXG said:

Hi all,

Ho

That panel looks familiar. You're gonna love having that tight, modern "6-pack" The Aspen, G5, EDM900 all directly in view is just really nice to fly behind.

49 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

That panel looks familiar. You're gonna love having that tight, modern "6-pack" The Aspen, G5, EDM900 all directly in view is just really nice to fly behind.

He has an L3 ESI-500 which it looks like they connected to the #2 Nav so he can still shoot an approach if the Aspen goes dark. It also looks like he has synthetic vision on it. Great backup if things go bad!

5aa536487c287_L-3ESI-500.png.46c1d282bb030efd340a574fab06b8cc.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

He has an L3 ESI-500 which it looks like they connected to the #2 Nav so he can still shoot an approach if the Aspen goes dark. It also looks like he has synthetic vision on it. Great backup if things go bad!

I put a switch on mine so I could switch between Nav1 and Nav 2.

• Like 1

I have the Nav enabled on my ESI-500. Shot some approaches with it and it really is a nice setup.

9cc6a2b512170997c1030fc2fda8dccb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

@gsxrpilot could gain similar capability with the gad 29(b). If the aspen fails the 540 and g5 take over.  If the 540 or 165 fails the other interfaces with the aspen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

@gsxrpilot could gain similar capability with the gad 29(b). If the aspen fails the 540 and g5 take over.  If the 540 or 165 fails the other interfaces with the aspen. 

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

I didn't look close enough.  Full disclosure... if doing it over again, I'd probably install the L3 instead of the G5. And at some point in the future, might change them out and go that way. 

I'm also interested in the GAD 29(b). That might be a good option giving me a more full featured backup to the Aspen.

Gsxrpilot, our layouts our very similar. I look forward to flying with this setup.

Yep, the L3 ESI 500 is hooked up to Nav#2. The switch between nav # 1 & # 2 is good idea for even more redundancy.

The L3 and Aspen both have synthetic vision. The aspen has an AOA indicator. I also put in the Garmin FS 510. 

Thanks,

Ho

• Like 1

Gsxrpilot, our layouts our very similar. I look forward to flying with this setup.
Yep, the L3 ESI 500 is hooked up to Nav#2. The switch between nav # 1 & # 2 is good idea for even more redundancy.
The L3 and Aspen both have synthetic vision. The aspen has an AOA indicator. I also put in the Garmin FS 510. 
Thanks,
Ho

You have a nice setup. You are going to live flying behind it. I have the Aspen 2000 and am really pleased with the capability and redundancy. Add in the ESI-500, and you have a complete solution. Post some pictures of the ESI in SVT. I didn’t add that but hear it is an awesome feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro