Klixon Switch/Breaker Covers

I think I've found a solution (at least for me) to the constantly falling off Klixon switch/breaker covers. I purchased new covers from Shapeways, v0.6 Smooth Front. Made up a sheet in Excel of the various labels and had a friend print the labels on 60lb. high gloss self adheisive paper.

5aa29e9d10d73_SwitchCovers3.thumb.JPG.9c056b8e1509f02deea0e7af08110a96.JPG

• Like 2

Yea I figured it was only a matter of time before someone realized you could 3d print these switches for less than $100. This technology is really changing consumer access to manufacturing small lots. I broke a knob on an A/C manifold gauge set and went down to the library and printed one for free. Works great. 

-Robert

John,  I've seen a lot of the posts about printing new covers and the issues going through some of the iterations.  I'm going to start some panel upgrades in the next couple weeks and up til now never really thought about the process of swapping the switch covers out, and I haven't had the need to do one yet.

Is it a simple process of removing the two mounting screws for each switch and then just popping them off or something more involved?   All of mine work without flaw but are dingy from age and faded. I think bright new white ones with nice white labeled wraps like yours would be nice.  Thanks.. and they look nice !

I think I've found a solution (at least for me) to the constantly falling off Klixon switch/breaker covers. I purchased new covers from Shapeways, v0.6 Smooth Front. Made up a sheet in Excel of the various labels and had a friend print the labels on 60lb. high gloss self adheisive paper.
5aa29e9d10d73_SwitchCovers3.thumb.JPG.9c056b8e1509f02deea0e7af08110a96.JPG

John - I think the last version of Shapeways I had were version 6 as well. Mine rock way too much when installed. How is the wiggle fit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the heads up John!  I just ordered 8 but only need six. I’m going to experiment with a couple of them to see if they can be engraved with the lettering. I ordered the polished white.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/BVM7ZU8CK/switch-cover-klixon-20tc-v0-6-smooth-front?optionId=56024576&li=marketplace

2 hours ago, INA201 said:

Thanks for the heads up John!  I just ordered 8 but only need six. I’m going to experiment with a couple of them to see if they can be engraved with the lettering. I ordered the polished white.

I already tried numerous solutions and found the one that I think works best.  You can find the discussion on the other Klixon Switch thread.  I just finished making a bunch of covers, and they are ready for shipment.

IMG_0013.jpg

• Like 1

Update: The printing on the label paper is not the most, "robust", shall we say. I'm going to keep them until the printing starts to chip off. It maybe next week or it may be next decade. We'll see.

TargetDriver: The switch covers basically just snap off. You don't have to remove the switch/breaker itself. I find it easiest to turn on the switch, pull off the bottom part of the cover, turn off the switch, than pull off the top.

Ah-1 Cobra Pilot: Those covers look very good. I'm sure you'll get a lot of takers.

Marauder: I found the version 6 covers from Shapeways fit fine. There was only one that seemed slightly loose. The rest were spot on. Maybe they tweeted the software. I have a couple extras covers if you would like to try one. I need to get together with Jack for lunch in the next month or so anyway. 

• 1 month later...

Just like to say I used cobrapilots covers on my 77J and they are nice and tight - pretty robust as well, not as smooth as the originals but of course the originals had 2800 hours of sweaty hands turning them on and off

ffimage.thumb.png.881a8b403d264acb5cf688779b96ecb0.png

Edited by aidanf
misspell
  • Like 1