FS 510 and Android DB xfer

I have a GTN 750 with a FS 510 card and 2 android devices (phone. tablet) with Garmin Pilot. I wonder if someone else has the difficulty I have coaxing the automatic updates to xfer from the phone to the GTN.

The wifi and bluetooth connections work fine but more than half the time the message that should come up on the GTN prompting for xfer of DBs does not appear. I've tried restarting Pilot on the Android, I've tried recycling the GTN but can't seem to force the right handshake. I have not found a manual way to get there either via the GTN menus or the Garmin Pilot menus on the phone. 

Help!  

Here is what I have found that works the best for me:

1) have the GTN updates downloaded on your mobile device.

2) exit Garmin Pilot, not just close the app to the home screen but Exit the app.  Restart the device if unsure how and do not open [Garmin Pilot].

3) power up your aircraft (GTN) but do not touch anything... let the GTN power up but don't touch any buttons.

4) you will get to the screen that shows wifi connection ready at the top and database status on the middle/bottom - do not touch anything on the GTN.

5) power up your mobile device and go to the wifi connection setting page and ensure you are connected tot he GTN 750 Wifi.  WiFi connection info available off a button in the bottom left of the screen.

6) Once you are connected to the 750 WiFi, open Garmin Pilot - this should be the first time it is opening and should not be "resuming"

... then databases should be prompted on the GTN to start transferring.

Couple of notes I have found. 
--If you touch any screen on the GTN 750 (besides WiFi Info) the 750 will never trigger the updates
--the Garmin Pilot seems to look to push the updates upon starting assuming when starting it is connected to the GTN WiFi
--Bluetooth connection is not used to transfer databases, only to get GPS/AHRS/ADS-B data.
--I renamed my FS510 WiFi connection in the GTN settings menu.  I named it like "GTN750 N943RW" because I have multiple BT devices and different planes I connect to and it makes it easy to see what I am connected to.

18 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Here is what I have found that works the best for me:

1) have the GTN updates downloaded on your mobile device.

2) exit Garmin Pilot, not just close the app to the home screen but Exit the app.  Restart the device if unsure how and do not open [Garmin Pilot].

3) power up your aircraft (GTN) but do not touch anything... let the GTN power up but don't touch any buttons.

4) you will get to the screen that shows wifi connection ready at the top and database status on the middle/bottom - do not touch anything on the GTN.

5) power up your mobile device and go to the wifi connection setting page and ensure you are connected tot he GTN 750 Wifi.  WiFi connection info available off a button in the bottom left of the screen.

6) Once you are connected to the 750 WiFi, open Garmin Pilot - this should be the first time it is opening and should not be "resuming"

... then databases should be prompted on the GTN to start transferring.

Couple of notes I have found. 
--If you touch any screen on the GTN 750 (besides WiFi Info) the 750 will never trigger the updates
--the Garmin Pilot seems to look to push the updates upon starting assuming when starting it is connected to the GTN WiFi
--Bluetooth connection is not used to transfer databases, only to get GPS/AHRS/ADS-B data.
--I renamed my FS510 WiFi connection in the GTN settings menu.  I named it like "GTN750 N943RW" because I have multiple BT devices and different planes I connect to and it makes it easy to see what I am connected to.

Thanks Byron. I understand and do all that in that sequence. Sometimes it works.

I been wondering if I need to be sure Bluetooth is not connected initially so that the devices are using wifi only at startup?

I don't mess with Bluetooth (at all) in this process.  It is stored/saved and connects when it can - I just ignore Bluetooth during the update process or don't make it a point to disconnect or connect.  Since I have been ensuring that GarminPilot is closed before connecting - that seems to have worked for me:  The first time GP loads on my decide is always seems to see and initiate the Concierge updates.  It is so much nicer than dealing with the cards each month.

6 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I don't mess with Bluetooth (at all) in this process.  It is stored/saved and connects when it can - I just ignore Bluetooth during the update process or don't make it a point to disconnect or connect.  Since I have been ensuring that GarminPilot is closed before connecting - that seems to have worked for me:  The first time GP loads on my decide is always seems to see and initiate the Concierge updates.  It is so much nicer than dealing with the cards each month.

Yeah, I must have a glitch of some sort. I messed with it for 20 minutes yesterday. closed pilot, shut down phone, turned phone on, established wifi connection, started pilot, no joy. pulled GTN CB, restarted GTN, then pilot as above, no joy. 

Is my experience that the apple version of GP works much better then Android for database transfer. With the Android you really had to have the stars to align to get database transfers to work. With iOS it works every time.

Not to mention at the time that the Android version of GP didn't have all the features of the iOS version.

Edited by Stanton R
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stanton R said:

Is my experience that the apple version of GP works much better then Android for database transfer. With the Android you really had to have the stars to align to get database transfers to work. With iOS it works every time.

Not to mention at the time that the Android version of GP didn't have all the features of the iOS version.

That may well be the issue. I've made a couple hundred thousand bucks with AAPL stock since 2000, perhaps I ought to buy one of their products.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

That may well be the issue. I've made a couple hundred thousand bucks with AAPL stock since 2000, perhaps I ought to buy one of their products.

and I have done pretty well with GRMN since I got wind you were reworking your panel a few years ago:) 

• Haha 1