Avionics upgrade

I am planning a panel upgrade.  Currently  i have a whole stack of UPS avionics consisting of SL15 audio panel, MX20 display, SL30 nav/com, GX60 GPS, SL70 transponder. 

I am planning to replace the MX20 with a Garmin GNS 530W and replacing the transponder with a Garmin GTX 345 to comply with ADSB. 

I am considering replacing the audio panel with a PS Engineering 7000BT.    Should i remove the GX60 GPS or keep it as a back up / 3rd com?  Is there any value in the avionics i am removing?

Hello Warren.

A few years ago I also had an Apollo stack consisting of a GX60 (later replaced by GNS480), SL30, MX20 (later GMX200), SL70R and SL15.  They are all almost gone except for the GMX200.  My stack mainly consists of Avidyne gear, including a IFD540.  The GNS480 will be replaced by a IFD440 in a month.

What I would consider is how much longer will the GX60 be supported by Garmin?  I am surprised if it still is and I believe at least the screen has not been supported for a number of years.  Also, I can't see the benefit of a 3rd com and have not known of anyone doing this.  You also need to consider how much longer Garmin will support the 530W as you will still be spending a substantial amount of money for a used unit plus the install.  I don't know how good its display is as a substitute MFD.  The MX20 was a brilliant bit of gear, way ahead of its time.

As you can tell, I am not in the USA but I do see that there appear to be some good deals with more well known avionics shops including installs that accept trade-ins.  If your heart and wallet is set on Garmin then I'd look at the GTN650 or 750 and GTX345 for ease of compatibility and saving $$$ in the long run. You can't go wrong with a PS Engineering audio panel.

Victor 

Warren, echoing Victor's remarks, there is some value in the used stuff, but not seeing the value in keeping a 3rd Com, which takes up panel space.  I would put that cost toward your intended plan.  Am curious why you would be targeting the 530W and not a 750, and also the PS Eng. PMA450A, rather than the 7000.  For pennies on the dollar over the cost of the 7000, the 450A is a far-superior audio panel, and will give you far more flexibility, options, and runway (figuratively-speaking).

Steve

You might consider replacing the MX 20 with a GMX200 base unit and a GTN 650 with the 345R. That gives you an inexpensive/installation MFD that will support ADSB in/out as well as a two year warranty on the 650/345. Keep the SL30 & sell  the rest of the equipment to offset some of the cost. Audio panel of your choice of course. 

12 hours ago, warren.huisman said:

I am planning a panel upgrade.  Currently  i have a whole stack of UPS avionics consisting of SL15 audio panel, MX20 display, SL30 nav/com, GX60 GPS, SL70 transponder. 

I am planning to replace the MX20 with a Garmin GNS 530W and replacing the transponder with a Garmin GTX 345 to comply with ADSB. 

I am considering replacing the audio panel with a PS Engineering 7000BT.    Should i remove the GX60 GPS or keep it as a back up / 3rd com?  Is there any value in the avionics i am removing?

I can understand your choice of the 7000BT as it is a slide-in replacement, but is the SL15 having problems? If not, save your money on it. The unit was way ahead of others when released.

I agree with @StevenL757 as to the 530W, but would suggest the IFD 540/550. Unlike the 750, it will fit within the same space as the MX20. They can be had for reasonable prices depending on where you are located and when you purchase (Sun-n-Fun in a month?). Pull the GX60 and sell it. There are buyers out there.

For ADS-B Out/In, the GTX 345 will be fine. An alternative is the L-3 NGT 9000. Like several of the newer avionics, it has capabilities you can activate with a software update at a later date, if you like. Not necessarily less expensive than the 345, but, at this time, more expandable. Or if you want to keep a panel vendor-consistent, the Avidyne AXP 340 would fit the ADS-B Out portion, but would need the Avidyne Skytrax 100 included for the ADS-B In portion. Again, timing and negotiation can significantly affect your cost. Unfortunately, their AMX 240 audio panel would be a rewire.

9 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

I agree with @StevenL757 as to the 530W, but would suggest the IFD 540/550. Unlike the 750, it will fit within the same space as the MX20. They can be had for reasonable prices depending on where you are located and when you purchase (Sun-n-Fun in a month?). Pull the GX60 and sell it. There are buyers out there.

The MX20 is 5 inches tall vs 4.6 for the 530/540. I’d recommend the 750 because of the clean install needed and the similar although slightly smaller size of the mx20/gx60 and the 750. Spend the extra on the gps before replacing the audio panel etc. 

• Like 1

Warren,

You neglected to tell us this was the AOPA giveaway plane in 2001.  Nice, how about the panel pictures, I'm sure its nice.  Your sack is still very capable, heres what I would do and why:

1) replace GX60 with a GNS480 to get WAAS.  The comm connector is identical, and depending on your indicator, most of the nav will be the same too.  Lots of labour saving, and it will cross talk with your SL30.  Sell your GX60 while it still has a good screen.

2) Replace your SL70 transponder with a GTX345 or 345R.  The GNS480 will provide a position for this, and if you need a little more panel space, go for the remote version.

3) Once you start changing audio panels and mixing G530's with other avionics, you may as well start again with a GTN750.

Don

30 minutes ago, Aerodon said:

1) replace GX60 with a GNS480 to get WAAS. 

Don,

The reason I am offloading my GNS480 is a realistic concern that Garmin will in the not too distant future, no longer support these units. At this stage the bezel is no longer available. Garmin have published an alert the unit is nearing its end of service life.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/aviationalerts/gns-480-cnx-80-end-service-life/

Victor

You are correct, it is the AOPA give-a-way airplane from 2000.  I like the avionics a lot less than I thought I would. 

I am comfortable with the 430/530 GPS's and have a 530 to put in.  The MX20 has a lot of lines in it and I don't find it useful.  I was looking at the PS7000 audio panel as it is supposed to be a drop in replacement for the SL15.  This piece is more of a want than a need because after all it is only an audio panel, but I really don't like it that much, but it works. 

I was planning to pull the GX60 as I wouldn't need it but pulling it leaves empty panel space and if I can't get much resale for it, I might as well keep it for redundancy.  The PS 7000 also has 3 com inputs so it should work for this scenario. 

Any idea how much the GX60 is worth if I pull it?

One of the things I get out of this thread...

Buy the GTN750... It will probably last 18 years....

A second color screen will be an Aspen or other glass AI, ASI, TC device with traffic and weather displayed on it...

With as much history the GTN has already, it is ready to work for the next 18 years...

I also got some jealousy and a fair amount of panel envy...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• 4 months later...
On 3/7/2018 at 9:28 PM, warren.huisman said:

Does it still have the Aero-Trim 800T electric trim? I need an install and pilots  manual If you have one

Ted

Edited by SOSTED