LoPresti Cowl Info

I have heard from one MS'r that they do not help with cooling.  Also, they are not available for ANY turbo.  They are pretty and they at least look fast!  I have a 76 F with TN thought it would be nice until they told me about the no turbo thing.  BTW- what is "SE"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wcb said:

Also, they are not available for ANY turbo. 

wsb,

Would that be STC limitation or there's simply no room for installation under tight cowl? 

IIRC, I read that Bill Cox (Plane & Pilot magazine) installed LoPresti cowl. I think he had M20F with RayJay turbo...

Edited by Igor_U

When I called LoPresti it is what one of the guys told me no turbo's not even RayJay TN.  I even think it was one of the LoPresti's (but not for sure).  From our conversation I concluded that it as not in their STC, as well as room and a heat issue.  He was fairly quick with me and somewhat dismissive since I was asking about the turbo.  I would love to hear from anyone that has it.  Certainly would love to hear more about the speed, cooling and if it can be used with a RayJay turbo (and the guy was just being dismissive)

15 minutes ago, ABCDEF said:

You like? Okay, here are more.....:)

I have to say I do not Like!

I LOVE IT!  What kind of speed increase did you see and was there a difference in temps.  I am seeing they are under 350 but were they lower or higher before?  Also, mine is 76F with turbo.  Was I told correctly about the no turbo thing?

2 hours ago, wcb said:

I have to say I do not Like!

I LOVE IT!  What kind of speed increase did you see and was there a difference in temps.  I am seeing they are under 350 but were they lower or higher before?  Also, mine is 76F with turbo.  Was I told correctly about the no turbo thing?

Thank you!

I can email you a copy of the installation manual if you like? That might answer some questions. I did ask David Lopresti about adding a turbo charger on with this cowl back when I bought it from him. He told me he knew nothing about that.....

There is a lot more to this thing then just a "cowling". new gear doors, baffles, air intake ducting, oil cooler relo with 201 style ducting, spinner, cowl flap mechanism, 201 exhaust pipe... on and on...... It looked like they were building an entire airplane when this STC was being put on my plane... parts all over the place! I also had to scavenge up a few 201 parts to get this thing to work on my F.

In a sense its a different airplane now.

Yes my CHTS were quite a bit higher before the STC, but my baffles and seals were not brand new like they are now either.

As far as speed increase, yes the plane is definitely faster what the increase was over original I am not certain because I never did an official speed check prior to the STC.

Edited by ABCDEF
  • Like 1

BTW- what is "SE"

If you are referring to my avatar, it's kind of a joke. Since my plane was one of the transition airplanes to the "J", it has a few things that most don't. Mooney was experimenting with different systems that didn't make the cut in the "J" so I call it the, special edition.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I know something about the Lopresti cowling and the RayJay Turbo normalizer (M20 Turbos).  The owner of the Moultonboro NH airport is an A&P who formerly worked for Lopresti.  I spoke with him years ago when he had just moved to NH.  He was working on a project to install a turbonormalizer on a Lopresti cowled airplane.  They had to keep enlarging the inlet holes to allow more air in to get the plane to run cooler.  It apparently was a lot of work and I am not sure he ever got it to his satisfaction.  I believe this is the history which leads the recommendation of no turbos with the Lopresti cowling.

John Breda

• Like 1

The orange and brown stripes are very 1965.  The orange up the tail might be a year newer?

My 65C had an all brown tail...

A lopresti Cowl on an M20E would make a great retirement plane. Trying to put a lopresti cowling on an M20E after retirement would be an incredible challenge...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1