O2D2 with Long Body Factory (overhead) O2

exM20K

9 minutes ago, exM20K said:

If anyone here uses an O2D2 with the factory overhead oxygen ports, could you tell me how you have rigged it: eg: is the unit dangling from the ceiling, tucked in a pocket, or something else?

Thanks in advance

-de

I have mine tucked into the back pocket of the front passengers seat. Not ideal, but I don’t have to worry about it coming loose and smacking me in the head in turbulence and it’s easy to reach. When I’m not using it the cannulas and tubing/regulator fit nicely. My son is pretty good at tangling himself up in it when he gets in and out of the back seat. He is so good at it that I’m pretty sure he does it on purpose.

20 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

You might also need a step down pressure regulator to lower the inlet pressure slightly, going from memory. 

yes - that is what theytold me at OSH last year.  I'm just trying to visualize how this all works - together with a boom canula - without creating a forest of hoses... thanks

28 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

You might also need a step down pressure regulator to lower the inlet pressure slightly, going from memory

Agree with Mlm20c.  Additionally, if your oxygen system was built into the aircraft when new, chances are you have a Scott regulator - which has a built-in altitude compensator.  The compensator portion of the regulator has a small "bellows"-type piece in it that throttles the amount of O2 pumped through the masks based on your altitude.  So this may conflict directly with the limiting capabilities of your Mountain High system, but again, I don't know what regulator is installed in your aircraft.  Do you know (for exM20K)?  I admit I could probably use some enlightening/education here based on others' installed equipment and experiences...

Steve

37 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

Agree with Mlm20c.  Additionally, if your oxygen system was built into the aircraft when new, chances are you have a Scott regulator - which has a built-in altitude compensator.  The compensator portion of the regulator has a small "bellows"-type piece in it that throttles the amount of O2 pumped through the masks based on your altitude.  So this may conflict directly with the limiting capabilities of your Mountain High system, but again, I don't know what regulator is installed in your aircraft.  Do you know (for exM20K)?  I admit I could probably use some enlightening/education here based on others' installed equipment and experiences...

Steve

The pressure that the O2D2 requires is minimal. I have an altitude compensating system and they still recommended getting a regulator to limit the pressure even further. You can always call Mountain High and ask. They have always been friendly and knowledgeable when I have called. I do know of one person who was never able to get good oxygen saturations using the OD2D with an altitude compensating system but my understanding is that they took the system back and issued a refund.

So- I don’t have a photo but going to try to describe this- hangar elf project I saw in a mid body Mooney somewhere...

The mid bodies have two speakers on the ceiling- it’s really one speaker and one sonalert- but it looks like two speakers held in place with 4 screws. Using some aluminum spacers, some longer screws, and some aluminum bar stock, you can create a little handle that’s hangs down from the ceiling of the plane- think a cabinet door handle that hangs down from the ceiling attached into the screw holes of the speakers.  Not sure if that makes sense...

A pair of handles that doesn’t cover the speakers (very important!!!).  Then- it’s as simple as Velcro...

I saw a buddy’s Acclaim with the overhead ports and he had the pressure reducers right near the Scott plug with maybe 2” of hose and then down to the floor where the O2D2 (maybe velcroed) then hoses back up to the cannulas.

2 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

The pressure that the O2D2 requires is minimal. I have an altitude compensating system and they still recommended getting a regulator to limit the pressure even further. You can always call Mountain High and ask. They have always been friendly and knowledgeable when I have called. I do know of one person who was never able to get good oxygen saturations using the OD2D with an altitude compensating system but my understanding is that they took the system back and issued a refund.

Yeah, I may contact them and get some more background.  There's a guy in my airpark that put the O2D2 in his C182 and likes how it performs.  Did you ever find out why the guy you knew couldn't get good saturation with his system?  Was it determined whether it was a hardware problem, or could it have been a health/biological anomaly with this particular individual? 

17 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

Yeah, I may contact them and get some more background.  There's a guy in my airpark that put the O2D2 in his C182 and likes how it performs.  Did you ever find out why the guy you knew couldn't get good saturation with his system?  Was it determined whether it was a hardware problem, or could it have been a health/biological anomaly with this particular individual? 

He’s a pretty regular contributor to mooneyspace so I’ll let him decide if he wants to comment on that. I honestly don’t know what the problem was but I have not experienced the same issue.