Insulation

N231SM

Best to get all the old fiberglass stuff out of there. It will retain moisture. If it gets damp it will accelerate corrosion. 

Easiest thing to do is buy Soundex Insulation. It is lighter than the fiberglass, will not retain moisture and also absorbs vibrations.  They sell it in a kit for all models.  It’s not cheap but, comes with all the proper approvals.  

I have no interest in the company. Just a PP providing info from personal experience. 

I bought some 3/4” x 36” x 48”.  soundex and it was very heavy. 3lbs. I sent it back. Defiantly far heavier than the fiberglass or the factory applied Mylar faced insulation.  I wish I could find some of that. 

Edited by jetdriven

I had Soundex fitted upon the advice of a mate, but without headsets I can't really tell if it is an improvement in sound reduction.  Probably a moot point as I'm always wearing noise cancelling headsets anyway.

Here is a link to Aircraft Spruce that displays a number of insulation products, including Soundex: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cs/sound.html