'04 Ovation 2 baggage compartment light

Hello All,

My new to me '04 Ovation has a baggage compartment light that is on a spring loaded rocker switch.  I turned it on and could not turn it off.  I eventually forgot about it, but assume it is on a timer.  Is this so, or do I need assume I'll be jump starting next time?

I think the Ovations have a timer, but I would go back and check. The penalty for running a battery completely down are high. If they are completely dead for any length of time, the battery may not live.

On 3/6/2018 at 4:01 PM, redraider said:

Hello All,

My new to me '04 Ovation has a baggage compartment light that is on a spring loaded rocker switch.  I turned it on and could not turn it off.  I eventually forgot about it, but assume it is on a timer.  Is this so, or do I need assume I'll be jump starting next time?

As others have said, it is indeed on a timer.  No need to worry about battery drain as the timer only lasts a few minutes max.  I’m actually replacing mine in a couple of weeks with a Whelen 70813 LED (along with the anti-collision beacon on the bottom).  Although I’m not overly concerned about the draw with the baggage light left on for a few minutes, it will be a bit less with the LED, and also help meet my goal of converting every light in the airplane eventually over to LED.

The 70813 is here:  http://www.whelen.com/aviation/product.php?head_id=14&prod_id=105

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevenL757 said:

As others have said, it is indeed on a timer.  No need to worry about battery drain as the timer only lasts a few minutes max.  

Incidentally, when I designed a timer for the older Mooneys, I intentionally designed it to stay on for 10 to 12 minutes, figuring that should take care of most any unloading someone would need to from their plane, and not be a problem for draining a battery.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LEDs on a timer!

Now that’s a Modern Mooney!  :)

I stopped using the switch for fear of leaving it on...

It’s like closing the door without latching it... don’t do that anymore either...

Thanks for the Continued shared great ideas!

Best regards,

-a-

8 minutes ago, carusoam said:

I stopped using the switch for fear of leaving it on...

It’s like closing the door without latching it... don’t do that anymore either...

You really need a timer. I can provide instructions or build you one cheap. Easily installed by most any A&P or reasonably competent hangar elf.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

Incidentally, when I designed a timer for the older Mooneys, I intentionally designed it to stay on for 10 to 12 minutes, figuring that should take care of most any unloading someone would need to from their plane, and not be a problem for draining a battery.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

No apologies...good info.  I know several on here have had "mysterious" battery draining issues, so this may explain (or help rule out) some folks' troubles.

On 3/11/2018 at 8:06 PM, StevenL757 said:

As others have said, it is indeed on a timer.  No need to worry about battery drain as the timer only lasts a few minutes max.  I’m actually replacing mine in a couple of weeks with a Whelen 70813 LED (along with the anti-collision beacon on the bottom).  Although I’m not overly concerned about the draw with the baggage light left on for a few minutes, it will be a bit less with the LED, and also help meet my goal of converting every light in the airplane eventually over to LED.

The 70813 is here:  http://www.whelen.com/aviation/product.php?head_id=14&prod_id=105

Steve

Steven by chance is Brian replacing your baggage light and beacon with a 90724 Whelen?  He told me about yours and added one to the order for me.  Apparently it is TSO'd.  I am on a quest to convert all lights on my plane to LED.  Still need to figure out the recognition lights in the tips.

Russ

Hey Russ...yes, we're working on it together during annual this year.  I'll be down there from 19-27 May.  Whelen has nothing in the pipeline to replace the wingtip forward-facing recog. light with an LED flavor.  I'm conscious to use mine sparingly - mainly during takeoff, and on taxi-in to light up corners at night.  Hopefully, they (or another company) will prioritize getting a replacement in the works soon.

Stop by if you'll be in the area during that time, and you can see both mine when completed, or I could swing by your airport after annual...will be nice to see you.

Steve