M20M Bravo

NewMooney

Hello All, I am considering purchasing a 1994 Mooney M20M Bravo.  I haven't had the aircraft looked at yet but have been doing a good amount of research and reading reading about some of the early versions of this plane and the heat problems leading to top-end work being required in as little as (every)400 hours. It appears that Mooney resolved the issue with its "wet-head" conversion thereby increasing the time between maintenance.  Anyone have any direct experience or feedback?  

The main article I am referencing is from an AOPA article written back in 1998: https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft-and-ownership/aircraft-fact-sheets/mooney-bravo

Look forward to the feedback!

Yup... It is... just wanted to see if anyone has any direct experience with it.  According to that AOPA article and a few others, the jury was still out on whether the conversion actually resulted in fewer occurring and less expensive maintenance needs. 

3 hours ago, NewMooney said:

Yup... It is... just wanted to see if anyone has any direct experience with it.  According to that AOPA article and a few others, the jury was still out on whether the conversion actually resulted in fewer occurring and less expensive maintenance needs. 

That AOPA article is very dated. The TIO540 AF1B is one of the most bullet proof engines Lycoming makes. Like all engines, they have to be operated correctly for the optimum of less expensive maintenance needs. Early TLS's (named before the Bravo mod to the engine) need a few upgrades to make them like "real" bravos, such as bigger brakes. Later Bravos are some of the best buys of the used Mooney market place. Granted they are an expensive engine to OH, as is the Conti 550 turbo and non turbo. Their weakness is the exhaust system IMO and they are stout as long as they are operated properly. You should easily be able to make TBO on the engine and cylinders if operated correctly. The rub is when you buy one used, you really dont know how it has been treated. 

The Bravo, like the Acclaim it predates, is a personal air liner!

Thanks Mike... I kind of assumed the older date of the article would come into play and I appreciate your feedback.  I am heavily leaning towards the purchase of this aircraft (pending a pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic).  

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, NewMooney said:

Thanks Mike... I kind of assumed the older date of the article would come into play and I appreciate your feedback.  I am heavily leaning towards the purchase of this aircraft (pending a pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic).  

Thanks again!

If it ‘s the ‘94 I’m thinking of, type in the N-number on the search function here.and there have been quite a few comments about it.

1 hour ago, NewMooney said:

Did a search in all content and did not have anything come up... is there a sort of “car fax” for aircraft?

If you went to the top of this page, you may have only searched this subforum. Try again on the home page, and again verify "all forums"

1 hour ago, NewMooney said:

Did a search in all content and did not have anything come up... is there a sort of “car fax” for aircraft?

The FAA can send you a CD with everything they have a record of, for a (really!) small fee. Seems like it's $10, but I'm not sure where on their website to send you.