"Specialty" shops

So when I owned a Grumman I was told to always take it to a Grumman shop or I'm unsafe (lol)

When I bought a Mooney, I was told to only take it to Mooney shops or it would fall apart (lol)

I looked at 310s and was told to only take it to a 310 shop or I could die (lol)

My brother is looking at a 177 and the first thing I read was to take it to a Cardinal shop or he will go broke (lol)

I guess a Cessna 150/172 and a Cherokee 140 are the only planes for the "common" A&P.

Just laughing...not a serious post!

-Kris

Yeah, I actually have had a very mixed experience with non-Mooney mechanics working on my Mooney.  I stick with the guys who actually know that there is a bushing that is supposed to get installed inside of the alternator coupler, or the coupler will beat the tiny cotter pin that holds the coupler on, and the coupler and everything else will fall into the - at the time - very actively operating Mooney engine. Or who know that a TSIO360 really shouldn't go through two quarts of oil in a 4 hour trip, that is not normal and something needs to be found and fixed.  Or who know that even a minor nick in the collector is a hazard because it is holding back 1700 dF burning gases.  etc.  I guess I am odd that way.

Actually, I have had no trouble at all with the mechanics I have had to go to while "on the road," so to speak, in other words when I have problems in the middle of a trip somewhere.  But for maintenance locally, I stick mostly with the guys who have yet to try to kill me, knock on wood, and they happen to be an MSC.

I’ve had a very popular msc “forget” to connect the gear motor after annual (guess how long it took me to figure that out) and charge me quite handsomely for that annual... and I’ve had a private A&P AI that charges me half of what a MSC does for annual find things that could have killed me (exhaust leaks missed by the same MSC above).  And vice versa.  It’s not the name above the door, or the “reputation” necessarily of a shop: it’s the A&P.  Some are better than others- regardless of where they work. 

Find one you trust and develop a relationship with them.  Big shops might have turnover in A&P manning.., if that’s the case, the expert service one might receive in the past may no longer be valid.  Crazy... but you know what they say: what do you call the student at the bottom of their class in medschool?  Doctor..... 

• Like 4

I'm very thankful to be on the field with a proper MSC and not one in name only. JD and Laura who own and run SWTA know Mooneys and always have a shop full of them. I would say largely because of their maintenance on my Mooney, I've not needed the services of an A&P away from home. 

It's also super convenient for them to have a key to my hangar and to have their pilot named on my insurance.

I flew my plane about 3 weeks ago and then left town on a business trip. I'll return to a freshly painted prop and resealed hub along with three new tires. And it will be ready to fly again. 

I'm convinced that as an owner, the best thing you can do is build and maintain a relationship with a good shop. 

• Like 7

When I first bought a Mooney in 2000, I wasnt convinced that a Mooney Service center was going to be that superior to your average A$P. Well, my son was graduating from Lackland basic training and I decided to fly the Mooney there. I had done my first oil change a bit earlier and it was time again. Gawd, I hated the thought of trying to get to that oil suction screen to re safety tie it again. Last time it took me 2 hrs I thought. Lets just stop in at this MSC in Gladewater and get it and the shimmy looked at.

I watched David (RIP) remove, clean and inspect, and reinstall the oil suction screen in 15 minutes. In 20 minutes they had my shimmy fixed.

I bought Don lunch at the chickin baskit. 

The rest is history. 

See you next week Don.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

About the same story....in 1997, on my way to SAT to party with old Air Force buddies, I flew my J into tiny Gladewater to see if this Mooney 'guru' was all he was cracked up to be. He and his team were, and are!

When the boss gets under your plane to check things out, then takes it on  a quick test flight, as he does all Mooney's.....that's a find!

Missing my Mooney, Gladewater, Longview, Don and the Chicken Basket. :(

• Like 3