looking to travel west

1 hour ago, Bob - S50 said:

A couple things.

1.  When in doubt, go IFF (I Follow Freeways).  They are usually cut through the lowest passes.  Go to Billings and then follow I90 to Seattle for example.  Or down to Rawlins and then follow I80 to San Francisco.  Or I80 to Salt Lake and then I15 to Los Angeles.  Just examples of course.

2.  Most, but not all of those airspaces are MOA's, not restricted areas.  Many of them have bases that allow you to fly under them.  Plan the route you would like, then check for the altitudes for any MOA's you'll pass through.  You may be able to go under it.  If not, just plan around it.  Also, many of them are rarely active so you may be able to fly through them without fear of getting hit, but you won't know until the day of your flight so have a backup plan.

3.  Enjoy the scenery.

there are a lot of MOAs for sure.

The first time I crossed the Rockies and the Sierras, Ohio to SanFran, in a C-172 loaded to the scuppers some 35 years ago,  We stopped in COS and while family visited family, I got a 4-hour mountain checkout in my plane. Just about the best morning of flying I have ever spent. I highly recommend you do likewise. Very good confidence builder. This flatlander knew nothing of leaning on takeoff, no idea about one-way airports, landing upslope, departing downhill, full-flaps steep u-turns out of canyons, picking good passes and being mindful of Interstate highways disappearing into long tunnels, and more. Fabulous instructor, glorious scenery. Many flight schools in the high country offer them. Back then, there was a serious issue of no radio reception for miles and miles, but now, with GPS, it isn't likely you'll be busting hot restricted areas. This is an opportunity not to be missed. Dittos to early morning flights, ever so much smoother. Dittos to picking places to land and gawk. Even the little airports in the middle of nowhere have very good people, memorable crew cars and diners. You'll love it! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dream to fly said:

I need to have a reason for trips I hate just flying, it was the same with the MC.

Try charity flying.  Angel Flight, pets, veterans, etc.  Gives you a sense of purpose.  Makes you feel good.  Gives you a tax write-off.  Do as many or as few as you like.  Maybe even save $1/gallon on Phillips 66 gas.

The route you are proposing doesn't require any mountain flying. It isn't like heading west out of Denver. 

Training is always good, but IMHO not necessary for this route. After you make this trip you will wonder what all the fuss was about. 

Your biggest challenge will be flying in the LA basin.

the scenery is stunning.  

• Like 1

Something to look at and learn is to be very aware of what the high altitude wins are doing on the route you plan for each day.  Anything at and above 20-25 kts at 10,000' will mean a very rough ride in the mountains AND there will be strong downdrafts on the lee side of the mountains. If your route is west bound and the winds are high you may not be able to get to your cruising altitude. Your climb rate will be low (high DA), maybe less than 400 FPM and the downdrafts can be in excess of that. Just be aware of how the winds flow around and over the mountains. I've been doing it for 55+ years and I give it a lot of respect. DAs up to 8000' are quite doable but you will notice a big difference in performance. Try not to use short runways with obstructions even if the gas is cheap.  Getting up around 9500' DA for takeoff turns it into a different world. Don't do it.  Check your DAs and go early everyday. 

There is never a reason to try and out climb a mountain pass. If you aren't well above it before you reach it- rethink your position. The route you show really isn't that bad to do. You can do it with care. You will enjoy the challenge, it will be a learning experience and the trip will keep you interested in flying! You can do it. Its all in preparation and care.

I still do a lot of IFR ( I follow roads) in very remote areas. I do carry an InReach rescue beacon on every flight, ready to be activated if anything happens as most of my flights are in remote areas. O2 might be helpful but not completely necessary on your route.  I fly a C/D and haven't needed it but a couple of times in 15 years. 

Think of this trip as several short VFR flights. Use your head, don't push weather and all will be fine.

Plan to be back home 2 days before your vacation is over. This way you won't feel pressured into "get home ittis". Even today after 55+ years of flying I have no problem stopping for the night if I don't like what I see ahead.

Even after a career in flying, ALL of my flying now is VFR. I find it not limiting BECAUSE I have no problem stopping and learning a new town for a night if I don't like what I see ahead.  Remember, the accident investigation generally is the next day in VFR conditions. 

Also, DO NOT PLAN ON  ANY NIGHT TIME FLIGHTS IN HIGH TERRAIN, PERIOD! Without a full moon (and I mean FULL MOON) visible, you won't be able to see the rocks. Unless you always stay above the BIG numbers on the sectional, you will be in very real danger.

When I bought my Mooney I wanted to see how safe night time flying was for SE airplanes as I had been on big iron for years. I did a comprehensive study on all the night time accidents for a full decade back in time. In that study I found that virtually all the nigh time accidents (way into the 90th percentile) were nothing more than CFIT, flying into a mountain. Even high time commercial pilots were susceptible to CIT at night. Frankly I don't do it anymore out here in the west. For me its just too risky. Many do, that;s their choice and risk tolerance. I just don't do it anymore. 

The LAX basin is a real challenge but flight following and a good study of the Class B and C areas will help tremendously. I grew up there and even I have to look at it real good before I get there, whenever I'm out there .    

Remember. its the journey that you want to experience, NOT the destination. Take your time. Break it into short VFR flights. Mind the weather and winds. Enjoy the journey. Your first long xcountry out west will be memorable. Do it right and you will want to do it again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

Try charity flying.  Angel Flight, pets, veterans, etc.  Gives you a sense of purpose.  Makes you feel good.  Gives you a tax write-off.  Do as many or as few as you like.  Maybe even save $1/gallon on Phillips 66 gas.

I tried that but have to have more hours and they would prefer IFR :(

2 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

I tried that but have to have more hours and they would prefer IFR :(

Angel Flight and the veteran's groups have experience requirements and prefer IFR. Animal rescue groups often do not . . . .

Last year I flew my J from San Jose, CA to Casper, WY, and on to Willmar, MN at 15,500 the whole way. It took my J a little while to get up that high, but once there it cruised at the same 150 KTAS as lower, just at a lower fuel flow. For me, the farther away from the terrain, the better. So the advice would be get comfortable with the oxygen system and just fly above it all.

Larry

• Like 3

As a follow up:

Like Amelia said:  Learn to properly lean.

Remember, in higher altitude and DA airports, though your indicated speed will show the same, you will be flying faster, thus when you touch down and take off you will be traveling faster than you would be at sea level.  This is especially apparent in the hot afternoons.  So it's important for planning.  

-Seth

• Like 2

Back in 90' I flew from the North Coast of CA to Osh, never went over 11.5.  We went from Eka to Burly Id to Rapid City  and out through the flats.  Coming back Pierre SD to Livingston MT to Spokane to EKA all at 10.5.  This was in my old 63C, just have to remember to lean to best power on takeoff on the warmer afternoons at higher elev.

Pritch

PS one of these days when I fly up to Watford City I will drop down and see you in Hazen

PSS here is a picture from today flying up to Medford OR. Mt Shasta in the background.  Flying at 9500 ft. 

IMG_2074.JPG

• Like 2

Back in 90' I flew from the North Coast of CA to Osh, never went over 11.5.  We went from Eka to Burly Id to Rapid City  and out through the flats.  Coming back Pierre SD to Livingston MT to Spokane to EKA all at 10.5.  This was in my old 63C, just have to remember to lean to best power on takeoff on the warmer afternoons at higher elev.
Pritch
PS one of these days when I fly up to Watford City I will drop down and see you in Hazen
PSS here is a picture from today flying up to Medford OR. Mt Shasta in the background.  Flying at 9500 ft. 
IMG_2074.thumb.JPG.370c6c3d3f1eeaad1a8f7e294b042cd7.JPG
That is an awesome picture.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

As someone else pointed out, I would head twords Page, AZ (KPGA) instead of KRIF and then work twords Camarillo, CA (KCMA) via south of Vegas and then the Palmdale (PMD) VORTAC (staying clear of restricted airspace near Vegas and Edwards AFB). Then you are set up for going north or south along the coast of CA. I am based out of KTSP. 

• Like 1