Wing mounted landing light.

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 3/11/2018 at 1:01 PM, highlowfastslow said:

Unfortunately I couldn't find any paperwork other than the 337. It says: RETROFIT MOONEY M20J WING LANDING LIGHT ASSY STA. 133.00/118.25. INSTALLED MOONEY KIT PN 210417-502 USING SUPPLIED PARTS AND WIRED PER MANUFACTURER INSTRUCTIONS (33-40-00). 

Here are some close ups of the landing light as requested. IMG_2997.thumb.JPG.3926f00bc81bbdbb5a5e3741cdca499d.JPGIMG_2999.thumb.JPG.684930663ff26b6cd35bea52383c7de7.JPG pics. I should really remove the lens and clean it....

I like how yours doesn’t have the retainer, most installations do, does anyone know if the factory installed versions do?

Mooney originally used the trim piece but at some point just stopped -- probably to save a couple of bucks. Underneath it's the same.

The references in the earlier 337 are interesting. Mooney doesn't list a retrofit kit for this. The part number listed is just the part number for the landing/taxi light assy from the J IPC. The wiring reference listed is a service manual section that doesn't have any wiring info at all.

Skip

My AP says it has to stay if it’s in the parts manual.
 Edit: nevermind, I see what they did, they dropped it with #3406, so I just need to argue with my AP.

I found this note humorous, who knew Kmart had an aviation department.
599d93abbd11038e4612289ef73e2765.jpg
Tom

Edit: I did win the argument with my AP, now don’t have the trim piece.

179d5992cc0540427ab7069dd44d42ff.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 3/4/2018 at 3:43 PM, ArtVandelay said:

Anything you put on the leading edge of the wings is going to increase drag, you will probably lose a few knots of speed.

I have the Ovation landing and taxi lights in my wings.  Doubt there has been any speed loss.  The lens covers are essentially flush.

John Breda

• Like 1

I have the Ovation landing and taxi lights in my wings.  Doubt there has been any speed loss.  The lens covers are essentially flush.
John Breda

I’m not talking about the lens, the older Js had a bracket (trim)
in addition, definitely not flush, that’s what I removed. See Steves picture above. The Ovation never had the bracket AFAIK, I’ve seen one up close and it was like mine.

2 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I’m not talking about the lens, the older Js had a bracket (trim)
in addition, definitely not flush, that’s what I removed. See Steves picture above. The Ovation never had the bracket AFAIK, I’ve seen one up close and it was like mine.

I did not install the our frame.  It is unnecessary and that is what makes the assembly not flush.  Just take it off and use the large counter-sunk washers.

John Breda