Restore

chan65

I’m pulling engine on 79 201

at the same time I’m going to seats recovered by local upholstery shop, and replace interior panels, I’ve found plastic, but interested what seat material might be suggested, I could do about anything but unsure vinyl/ vs leather /vs cloth, any input is appreciated.

also my option are rebuild from Phil’s in Ohio, reputable shop Signature uses them, 20k+\- or fact remain for 30? Resale and longevity are main concerns , both come with new cylinder and mags etc 

4 hours ago, chan65 said:

I’m pulling engine on 79 201

at the same time I’m going to seats recovered by local upholstery shop, and replace interior panels, I’ve found plastic, but interested what seat material might be suggested, I could do about anything but unsure vinyl/ vs leather /vs cloth, any input is appreciated.

also my option are rebuild from Phil’s in Ohio, reputable shop Signature uses them, 20k+\- or fact remain for 30? Resale and longevity are main concerns , both come with new cylinder and mags etc 

You don't have to replace the plastic. It can be repaired and painted with SEM plastic paint or covered with ultra leather. Do some searches on Mooneyspace with those two words and you'll see what others have done.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

thanks for responses, the engine is at 4044 last oh 1864, 2180 SMOH,  in September 1992. Oil tests are good still, flying it weekly. I know its up there, but Im training in this plane amd it runs good. Have been advised to let it go, till using more than a qt/ for 4 hrs flying. 

• Like 1

I'd be inclined to keep flying as well if all is good now. Adhere to 500 hr mag inspections, though. Check your filter at every change and borescope your valves at every annual. Reviewing engine monitor data is of course also recommended.

Nothing beats the smell of nice leather. It is heavier, though, if weight & useful load are a concern. The modern vinyls like ultraleather and similar are very nice, much lighter and durable without the old hot sticky feeling like vintage vinyl. Wool or other cloth materials can be very nice and breathe much better. Sheep skin inserts are also a great option. It all depends on your desires and budget.

FWIW, I have some neutral tan aircraft leather hides for sale that I got from a bizjet interior surplus sale. I can send a sample if there is interest.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk