Dallas Air Tour Advice

Planning to take our host for a scenic flight around Dallas. Any advice on the best way to go about it from Addison? Do they readily give Bravo clearances? Clockwise or counterclockwise? Which ring of Bravo to stay under?

8 minutes ago, 201er said:

Planning to take our host for a scenic flight around Dallas. Any advice on the best way to go about it from Addison? Do they readily give Bravo clearances? Clockwise or counterclockwise? Which ring of Bravo to stay under?

Are you at ADS?  I'm at the airport off of taxiway romeo right now.

Edited by smccray

The air is packed today.  Weather down here has been really bad lately (the same crap you flew threw on the way down) plus it's nice out so everyone is up flying.  The airports are in south flow today which makes your chances better at getting a bravo clearance and flying over the top of love field at 2500 ft, but they probably won't let you get too close to downtown as it messes with traffic flow into love field.  If you want to fly over Love, request it to ADS ground when requesting flight following and they'll do what they can.

For a tour I would probably fly around the east side and just stay under the bravo shelf.  There's a ton of training traffic between ADS and Mesquite airport (HQZ).  Your best view of Dallas is probably staying close to the surface area boundary, but approach probably won't love you there.  Traffic will expect you to exit the ADS airspace @ 2000 ft MSL.  Fly the south side of the metroplex and you can get a good view of cowboys stadium and downtown fort worth.  It should be a good flight.  Depending on traffic, you may be able to work out flying over the top of DFW airport.  When you're on the west side, request DFW over the top back into ADS (if you're flying back to ADS) at 3500 ft.

I don't know a ton about ATC in general, but DFW is organized into quadrants.  The north east quadrant is the busiest by far due to traffic into Love Field.

• Thanks 1

I would plan 40 min to an hour. I just looked at a recent log entry flying from Denton to Dallas executive (DTO to RBD) and flight time was 0.3 over the top of love field.

a lot more spread out down here. DFW airport has the same land area as Manhattan...

Sorry we missed you. We just landed and left. Was a wonderful flight but crazy busy. They must have landed at least 15 planes before they let me takeoff and I was number one. I ended up  getting some good bravo transitions. One to the south across Love and another over Carrollton. Thanks for the advice.FC13D709-3E81-41D9-B2EC-C0CC4AC71483.thumb.jpeg.efac515ea2a033e8bacdabadda8d8f72.jpeg

• Like 2

Hope your ADS-B equipped help us see you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk