New Glass

I provided the windshield (was ~0.6 AMU or so for the thicker glass with UV coating) and it was about 8-10 hours of labor for the install.   Henry Weber is at KLNS could be convenient to you depending on where you are in MD.  There's commercial service on C208s from LNS to BWI on Southern Airways Express.  Freeway aviation is a mooney service center on the East side of DC that may be worth checking into as well.  Air Mods in NJ is another one that has likely done numerous Mooney windshields.  I'd definitely have it installed by someone who has done it before (i.e. well known and reputable on this board MSC).  The two windshield suppliers are GLAP and LP Aero Plastics.  Mine came from LP Aero and surprisingly needed little to no additional trimming to fit - which means that they have continued to improve their molds and templates over the years.  For you this means less labor hour$ spent fitting trimming refitting trimming refitting.  LP for certain and I'm pretty sure GLAP offer a service where if you send them your old windshield they will exact fit trim it for no additional charge besides the shipping costs.  Based on my experience with the LP aero windshield, you probably don't need to do the trimming.  In fact I brought them my side windows as well later on and of my new side windows only one needed to be rounded off by about 1/4 inch on one corner of the entire set (which I could have easily done myself).  Working with transparencies as they are called is it's own thing with a unique set of rules if you want to get into working with your mechanic.  Treat them with care.  As a private pilot you can R&R the side windows as part of PM, but this is a *big* and rather messy job (search my name and "going to pull the interior" for an idea of what's involved).  @Bob_Belville and his IA Lynn did the side windows as supervised / DIY for his E and detailed the install on this site.  If you have a C / D you may consider the various mods to bring your windshield to a single piece and / or a J style (more additional AMUs - @DXB I think had done this and he lives in the mid-atlantic as well - near Philly area).  

Word to the wise is GLAP tends to have good discounts around airshow time and with LP Aero you get wholesale pricing if you order through Chief Aircraft (that's what I did - needs a phone call as they have the entire LP aero catalog with special pricing but they don't have any of it listed on their website). 

Addressing windows is a great idea prior to repainting.  If they are significantly hazed or crazed you can try Mirco Mesh but no guarantee.  I figured for the $200 and 10's of hours of elbow grease with an unknown result it was worthwhile having a new windshield installed before painting.

You will have sealant fall from the ceiling for about a year from random places.  It's part of the deal.

The main gotcha for the windshield is that the aluminum retaining strip that sits on the bottom part of the windshield - slightly different for modern mooneys - can be corroded on the inside necessitating a call to mooney, delay and more expense for the part.

I put in a GLAP 1/4” solar gray in my J a few years ago. I elected to mill a step into the edge of the unit to get it to fit in the stock channel but the milled part is still hidden under all the plastic trim and cannot be seen from the outside. That windshield was 747$ delivered to Texas and it took 2 days but we did it right. For example put #4 cherry Max rivets through all the original holes 

1 hour ago, Mooney1 said:

Picked it up today! To say I am happy is an understatement!

EB255244-10F3-42BF-96CF-5B615BC2FFA0.jpeg

Love the flat, straight trim around the windows! What did you use? Mine is chromed quarter-round, bought on a roll and looks like it . . . .

12 hours ago, McMooney said:

hey the gps antennae on your nose, is that legal?  I'm looking to have new equip installed and that may save me a boat load of time.

I don't believe that is a GPS Antenna, it is a cover for an old comm antenna that was installed there.  You'd have to check the installation instructions from Garmin or wherever you are getting the GPS.  I looked at them once, however, I have forgotten what they said, I did not consider that position on my plane because it is still occupied by comm2's antenna.  I believe they want a flat area and this would be too close to a curve.  It would be nice, wouldn't it...

47 minutes ago, cctsurf said:

I believe they want a flat area and this would be too close to a curve.

My G430W works well with the antenna on the roof above my head. The flattest spot on my Mooney, aside from the horizontal stabilizer, is the front of the cowl . . .

That said, I also don't have an antenna in front of the windshield, and no sign of a patch where one used to be. it would make for a nice, short coax run, though!

• Like 1

Here's the Garmin info on GPS antenna mounting (from the manual for the 430W).  Note #4...  If we can be 3" from the windscreen in that placement, we would be golden...as far as I can tell.  (Scratch that...It seems that the 3" is "aft of the windscreen" according to their diagram) =(

1. Mount the antenna as close to level as possible with respect to the normal cruise flight attitude of the aircraft. If the normal flight attitude is not known, substitute the waterline, which is typically referenced as level while performing a weight and balance check.

2. The GPS antenna should be mounted in a location to minimize the effects of airframe shadowing during typical maneuvers. Typically mounting farther away from the tail section reduces signal blockage seen by the GPS antenna.

3a. The GPS antenna should be mounted no closer than two feet from any VHF COM antenna or any other antenna which may emit harmonic interference at the L1 frequency of 1575.42 MHz. An aircraft EMC check (reference VHF COM interference check in Post Installation Checkout procedures) can verify the degradation of GPS in the presence of interference signals. If an EMC check reveals unacceptable interference, insert a GPS notch filter in line with the offending VHF COM or the (re-radiating) ELT transmitter. Note: When mounting a combination antenna (ex. GPS and COM, GPS and XM), the recommended distance of two feet or more is not applicable to the distance between the antenna elements provided the combination antenna is TSO authorized and has been tested to meet Garmin’s minimum performance standards.

3b. The GPS antenna should be mounted no closer than two feet from any antennas emitting more than 25 watts of power. An aircraft EMC check can verify the degradation of GPS in the presence of interference signals.

3c. To minimize the effects of shadowing at 5° elevation angles, the GPS antenna should be mounted no closer than 6 inches (edge to edge) from other antennas, including passive antennas such as another GPS antenna or XM antenna.

4. To maintain a constant gain pattern and limit degradation by the windscreen, avoid mounting the antenna closer than 3 inches from the windscreen.

5. For multiple GPS installations, the antennas should not be mounted in a straight line from the front to the rear of the fuselage. Also varying the mounting location will help minimize any aircraft shading by the wings or tail section (in a particular azimuth, when one antenna is blocked the other antenna may have a clear view).

Edited by cctsurf
Further Info

22 hours ago, McMooney said:

hey the gps antennae on your nose, is that legal?  I'm looking to have new equip installed and that may save me a boat load of time.

My GPS antenna is on top of the cabin. Tha is a cover from a previous installation.

14 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

nice I like the extra storm window on the passenger side.  Did they cut it in them selves or were you able to order the window with it already there?

I purchased the windows from Great Lakes Aero. The storm window on the right was an option I chose 

2 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

I wonder if I can order a conversion kit for my F to get the new extra door they are installing in the Ultras.

You absolutely can!

They'll even throw in the rest of the plane with it for the low cost of $759K, after trade in of your old door (with plane attached) you are probably down into the $745k range.  

The new door even comes with a warantee at this price!  Woohoo...:lol:

Ron

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Marcopolo said:

You absolutely can!

They'll even throw in the rest of the plane with it for the low cost of $759K, after trade in of your old door (with plane attached) you are probably down into the $745k range.  

The new door even comes with a warantee at this price!  Woohoo...:lol:

Ron

aw shucks a saws-all and a grinder I'll have another door in about 4 hours 8 if you want it to have door seals.:D:P:o

• Haha 1