Any KPAO pireps?

Hi all--

Planning a flight into KPAO next week (if the weather cooperates).  I've read up on it, but haven't been able to find out how full transient parking usually is (I plan on tying down Friday night).  The Google maps satellite image makes the tiedown park look ridiculously packed, like a shopping mall parking lot on Black Friday...

I'd hate to get there and find out that there's no place to park.  Anyone know how things usually go there?  

Edited by jaylw314

We were based in Palo Alto for about 10 years - I don't think I ever saw the airport full.  If transient fills, it seems like there should be other places available.  

There is a rebuild project that will affect (or already is affecting) the tie down areas.  Best bet would be to call the airport and ask.

Rich

Thanks guys, I have SQL as a backup, but it's a quick trip and our friends are near PAO.  Like I said, the Google maps image makes it look scary busy, although maybe that's the Google employees trying to scare people away :P

If parking is an issue ,SAN Carlos has a longer strip,better approach and a larger ramp for transient right in front of skykitchen restaurant with good uber access

San Carlos is only about 10 miles north of Palo Alto. A slightly longer runway with plenty of parking near the coffee shop. The Aircraft supply store in the terminal/restaurant building has rental cars and taxi service, and UBER pickups at the terminal building are common. Personally I much prefer San Carlos to Palo Alto. The Tower staff is very helpful and Rabbit Aviation has fuel trucks at “reasonable” pricing. Welcome to Nor Cal, Silicon Valley, and the home of Biotech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Palo Alto is not a difficult airport, especially with a J, but it is important to be right on the correct short field speed.  The slope indicator is greater than the usual 3° slope.  Watch for the berm and pond on the threshold side of the runway.  There is always somewhat of a downdraft over the pond.  I've done a lot of trainings out of there and often times fly in there in my Bravo.  Ask for progressive to transient parking.  It is the last row before the hangars.

KPAO- a shorter runway with lots of “big airport” amenities.  Nice spot, glad I don’t live there, though- too much traffic.  Amazing how many big, very expensive airplanes are just tied down out there.  I guess hangars are hard to come by with so many people! 

Thanks again, all!  I'm hoping the weather cooperates, the weather over the Siskiyou's looks like there may be a lot of icing potential :wacko:

SQL may only be 10 miles north, but that could be an hour's worth of traffic in the Bay area :huh:

Thanks again, all!  I'm hoping the weather cooperates, the weather over the Siskiyou's looks like there may be a lot of icing potential :wacko:
SQL may only be 10 miles north, but that could be an hour's worth of traffic in the Bay area :huh:

I’ve never spent an hour on the 101 between KSQL and KPAO.

45 minutes ago, Bennett said:

I’ve never spent an hour on the 101 between KSQL and KPAO.

That's just my estimate based on my previous life in Los Angeles--West LA to Glendale, 12 miles = 90 minutes :blink:

That's just my estimate based on my previous life in Los Angeles--West LA to Glendale, 12 miles = 90 minutes :blink:

Fortunately, the - 101 is generally not that bad between San Carlos and Palo Alto. I do that drive fairly frequently and most of the time it is at speed limit (or higher). Also there are a few work arounds that parallel the 101 for most of those 10 miles or so. The 101 is a mess as you get close to San Francisco-especially on the approaches to the Bay Bridge at commute times, and further south in the Sunnyvale/ San Jose sections. The middle sections, south of the 92 interchange (including San Carlos to Palo Alto) are usually the bright spots. I flew out of KSQL this morning to Watsonville and back, and road traffic was tolerable from my home In the San Bruno hills (19 miles) to my hangar in San Carlos, and then later to my office in South San Francisco. I think the LA freeways are far worse for traffic.

16 minutes ago, Bennett said:

Fortunately, the - 101 is generally not that bad between San Carlos and Palo Alto. I do that drive fairly frequently and most of the time it is at speed limit (or higher). Also there are a few work arounds that parallel the 101 for most of those 10 miles or so. The 101 is a mess as you get close to San Francisco-especially on the approaches to the Bay Bridge at commute times, and further south in the Sunnyvale/ San Jose sections. The middle sections, south of the 92 interchange (including San Carlos to Palo Alto) are usually the bright spots. I flew out of KSQL this morning to Watsonville and back, and road traffic was tolerable from my home In the San Bruno hills (19 miles) to my hangar in San Carlos, and then later to my office in South San Francisco. I think the LA freeways are far worse for traffic.

That's good to know, I just assumed since it was a narrow corridor that traffic would be terrible...