Seat Cam Chewed Up - Replacement Needed

The focus of this thread has been on the seat cam.  With the comment of the seat leaning to the right I would suggest pulling the fabric and checking your seat back.  I had a similar problem on one of my seats and it ended up being a broken seat back that needed repaired..:not the cam.  Because the seat back was broken, the seat would slip off the cam and severely lean to the right.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2019 at 4:43 AM, kpaul said:

Here are the new cams installed on my seats, courtesy of David's @Sabremech machining skills.

Seat Cam 2.jpg

Seat Cam.jpg

How easy were these to install?  Any suggestions? Excited to get mine on.  Any tough parts?

What is the correct way to remove the roll pin?  And to reinstall it?

thanks!

Edited by Ragsf15e

43 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

How easy were these to install?  Any suggestions? Excited to get mine on.  Any tough parts?

thanks!

roll pins are removed with an appropriate sized punch.  same to install

3 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

thanks!

As Yetti said, just need a punch the correct size to push out the roll pin.  It's an easy removal/install.  The hardest part for me was that at some point in time one of the roll pins was replaced with a large cotter pin.  It was tough to remove and of course had to find a new roll pin the correct size.

I have been very happy with the new cams, and have not ended up in recline mode on accident yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kpaul said:

As Yetti said, just need a punch the correct size to push out the roll pin.  It's an easy removal/install.  The hardest part for me was that at some point in time one of the roll pins was replaced with a large cotter pin.  It was tough to remove and of course had to find a new roll pin the correct size.

I have been very happy with the new cams, and have not ended up in recline mode on accident yet.

Thanks guys.  As a bonus, I’m learning about roll pins.  Between your description, wiki, and my mechanics awesome tool collection, I’m hoping to do owner assist.

technically Drive Pin Punch.   Not the tapered ones.  The straight shank ones.   You really want the correct size.  It makes the job much simpler.   Using a nail, a drill bit or other things just lead to frustration.  The proper hammer to use would be a small ball peen.    My grandfather had 20 different types of hammers.   His last name was Smith.

IMG_20190603_221335.jpg

IMG_20190603_221229.jpg

IMG_20190603_221150.jpg

Edited by Yetti