Seat Cam Chewed Up - Replacement Needed

1 hour ago, Chris from PA said:

David, how do they attach to the seat? It appears there is a set screw but I don't see a similar set screw on mine. I've got a '65 C and I assume all these vintage planes have the same seats

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Mine has a roll pin that’s driven through the seat cam and bar. 

Mooney must have liked roll pins on handles in 65... the interior door handle is held on the same way...  threads for a set screw or something like that in aluminum parts wouldn’t last long enough...

PP thoughts only, my old C was a ‘65...

Best regards,

-a-

OK folks, I checked and my Mooney is the same as all the others... it has 2 cams per seat. 

David, mines are not in that bad a shape that I would need new ones at this point. Thanks a lot for the offer.

Yves

13 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

I checked mine today and I only have one that is broken. Any chance there are others that don’t need a full set? We could go in 1/4’s:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucking for a position on the Board of the CB club?

• Like 1

Bucking for a position on the Board of the CB club?

Maybe, I’m all for being cheap if it doesn’t effect safety:) but $400 is a lot for one cam even if you’re not in the cb club. I did go back and read the new cams have a different upright angle. So I have to find someone needing only one set.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

Maybe, I’m all for being cheap if it doesn’t effect safety:) but $400 is a lot for one cam even if you’re not in the cb club. I did go back and read the new cams have a different upright angle. So I have to find someone needing only one set.

I’d be willing to sell them in pairs, enough for one seat. 

David

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I want to thank David @Sabremech for doing this.  I realize that the price of a complete set of these may be more than some are willing to pay, and that aluminum billets milled to these specifications may only cost a fraction of what I am paying, but it is worth the extra to allow him the time and personal cost to make it right the first time. 

You folks all know that outspoken and cantankerous forthright and knowledgeable (redacted to reduce discord) guru @M20Doc we have up here in Canada who looks after Mooneys.   

Same deal.

I recognize competence and like the work they do for me and my little cheapskate E model Mooney.  As my friend up here has already quoted once:  "The Bitterness of Poor Quality remains Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten."

7 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

$400?  What is aluminum going for these days?  CB says NOPE.

How about you remove one of your seat cams and take it to a local machine shop and get a quote to have them made? Let me know what you get for a quote and if they’re less than I can get mine made for, I’ll buy them from you. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 7:10 PM, Sabremech said:

Seat cam sets ready to ship. I have a set for Ned and one extra set if anyone needs them.

Would you share the CAD for it? I have access to a CNC machine that could make this.

2 hours ago, HRM said:

Would you share the CAD for it? I have access to a CNC machine that could make this.

Hi HRM,

Since I paid for the CAD file, I don’t think I’ll be sharing for free. 

Thanks

5 hours ago, Sabremech said:

How about you remove one of your seat cams and take it to a local machine shop and get a quote to have them made? Let me know what you get for a quote and if they’re less than I can get mine made for, I’ll buy them from you. 

How about I just find another couple of seats (if and when I need them) and remove and reinstall?  You are a business.  You provide a service.  That you make a profit and can price how you want is obvious.  As a potential customer I also have the right to say: NOPE

I can buy a machined functional firearm for less than that.  I bought custom panel cut outs with N number for less than that. ;)

3 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

I can buy a machined functional firearm for less than that.  I bought custom panel cut outs with N number for less than that. ;)

I’ve been machining my own from forging like this one. No paperwork or FFL transfer required!

https://onlylongrange.com/forged-0-223-lower-receiver/

https://www.deltateamtactical.com/Cerro-Forge-Ar-15-7075-T6-Aircraft-Aluminum-0-Forging-Upper-Receiver-Highest-Quality-QTY-Pricing-Avail_p_6508.html

Edited by N601RX
  • Thanks 1