Seat Cam Chewed Up - Replacement Needed

Curious if anyone has replaced their seat cam reclining mechanism.  I have had mine pop back into the reclined position a few times, and after removing my seat this week, the most upright position appears to be really chewed up and rounded.  One side looks to be worse than the other, and I believe this is causing an uncomfortable lean to the right.  I couldn't find any solid leads searching through the forum. 

Does anyone have a replacement part or fix that they recommend?

OT0MO0sa4YvtiAXIL9xWB-ENBdNghY2R1t2rJ_ar3mxwive3Om0H41nRls0oXFsT4FzVn9MjTXWdSbjz4bvDmRxpeqJxDV9GHdrFwRf742S-FiVoayP8qkwYM4a5GsypvjStv0_oG2iuEMhQ16nfu3n2_OqKnIuaf_rwIEvzuxn-jpMydNDTxmhNgZPjXmMqrN-cEfIqnpPpQkPy4Eg47s3l_W6T_l-FfUcn1aGgnt860kqrm8ceGGjSRw62NU8LEeEGWRRoICIXI6-VFUdJdkrHXMGli8ssWwbpXu_XeQD662YM-cdWNKDCVWmQl2qYnZAn7GRnDR-nkaLxppTHjbxiFF2l1B2ZSVCKMaPnuCacOt8cq0Amirv9LEdfJXtIZBrJuCBEWSoudHHV7SjoGV0e37A-TXpaBQ37zs4TT4Jn8F2Oda3f37iOundkDM3AmV6zAhCtKnJlas53U2jl4QTkhIE-L6zfI9NPunc_MaQBStexSV3OZ2E9xmEGyRgAU-Upy9xhV6tRHUgc5VJVPksMk-8x5BfYa_-P8LVTHQ4dIySyqrIe48D3nNfExd86WqNCdcx3SmGtd51O1Tu3w3anKpw219Q0NJi_kfM=w417-h741-noyuZZI_0E6rQcgMO_wE8JrxtdbK6wVuMEsZg8UR4XbwJ-fBeiLD4V3ChSI8MdVDzTMEeO_EcZ0LXD4u4gURRs_E-pSDB9vHWk-iu0qY0pp67w6KPS4vjJS3IeodOaK8QLRHx4aWT2TlUkD654Ou0-PUfQE0FN8F_Mvww3ejzOI78xXl2dSRZFcz3Rj47UXFy1XglRpHcRku6JVu5Bku3d6ygS8an35nOG6ESXKBVgzTlQ8HKXmJQCnYIrGBpC5DoVLm23qNVcgAOmtUhALNLFH8psqAwC49_DVnMKQWWt8v4H74kvKJQ0vGTJJ5zQm5W3MANqnTFc-nyDKuz_H4Qh_v_Oq90lvJhOF8wog-lq1PzaTU6uhCH3Ar_zrp_tqsyh1ZC7twjBmpTeOqKbm-tF5L8FZvlfbz5uedAird07stUzHC5EixtTcgVE65sUkqQoIAOV2OmfjJpJVCh5Ko87rKmrtAUq546pMutiNiKTrPq6ks3-DVvc5XOAo-Td7O-_Q0q51xlAOI9LecTi2VTiDo33v_fT5n3LgeDeVjCevgvHG2X45DreRY_JPIwqIHtXgFpeWmLxncz8JvJseAUKurlXYaet90vuOdsPZmE=w417-h741-no

Let us know where you go with this. Mine are worn but still hold the seat correctly. I would think someone who has a machine shop can help with the owner provided parts approach. Did you check with Mooney (Stacey) to see if they are still used in the current production planes?

I have some serviceable seat cams I bought a few years back and never installed that I will sell. I will get some pictures and report back. (next trip to hangar this weekend).

I ended up buying fully articulating seats.... so no need for the replacement cams.....

Edited by ABCDEF
  • Like 1

Seat cams went away with the newer seats.  Crank handles and threaded rods are all the rage! :)

The steal seat parts are pretty rough on the aluminum cam...

for used parts like these...  @acpartswhse can be helpful...  the challenge would be they are an integral part of the more valuable complete seat.

Best regards,

-a-

9 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Seat cams went away with the newer seats.  Crank handles and threaded rods are all the rage! :)

The steal seat parts are pretty rough on the aluminum cam...

for used parts like these...  @acpartswhse can be helpful...  the challenge would be they are an integral part of the more valuable complete seat.

Best regards,

-a-

The crank handles and threaded rods are part of the new seats and are not kit parts that can be installed on the old seats, correct?

Newer seats are also a very expensive upgrade...

I’m not aware of updating a cam adjustment with a screw adjustment.

I was pointing out that the cam adjustment is no longer the standard, and they got replaced with the newer seats.

Sorry for any confusion.

Best regards,

-a-

10 hours ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

Thanks David -- let me know what a set of these cost and the potential lead time.

Anyone else have off the shelf solutions?  

IIRC, José ( @Piloto ) had an interesting solution of adding a piece of split rubber hose to the flat aluminum piece that rides on the cam.

I’ve filed the flats on the recline cam smooth and square and riveted a 1/16 aluminum disc to the inner surface of the cam.  This disc holds the seat back arms in place on the cam.  

Clarence

6 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I’ve filed the flats on the recline cam smooth and square and riveted a 1/16 aluminum disc to the inner surface of the cam.  This disc holds the seat back arms in place on the cam.  

Clarence

Clarence, would you have a picture of this?

Yves

6 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

That's an excellent idea.   I didn't even know I had reclining/adjustable seats for a while until discovered it by accident, but then also discovered that it's a really crappy system.  This sounds like a useful improvement.

8 hours ago, yvesg said:

Clarence, would you have a picture of this?

Yves

No pictures, but I made the discs from 1/16” 2024T3 aluminum sheet with an appropriate sizes hole saw.  Essentially you end up with an aluminum washer, you have to drill the hole to the same size as the recline axel.  I knocked the roll pin out of the recline cam to remove the cam from the axel.  With the cam removed I filed the recline flats smooth and square, then drilled holes to attach the washer to the recline cam and riveted it on.  Reinstall the cam to the shaft with the roll pin.

Most hangar ferries or elves can do this.

Clarence

I haven't looked that close. But it sure would be easier to make if the outer cam was a separate piece from the knob / handle. Purely from a machinist's perspective, no need to turn all the excess handle material away to leave the cam larger than the knob.